Mark Cerny "The Road to PS4"

Wow that was awesome. I would love him to do a more technical talk. I could listen for hours..... :D

I think it was cryteck that called out sony on the ram. ;)

According to here: http://www.examiner.com/article/gearbox-ceo-holds-responsibility-for-ps4-s-8gb-of-gddr5-ram

It's Randy "Pitchfork" from Gearbox.

Somehow, his last name works magic on Sony.

While we are at it, I'll summarize Cerny's video:

Something, something...

As a result, I have this great big bag of money with no supervision whatsoever.

Blah.

:LOL:

Nice talk, but for some reason I don't feel good about PS4 when Cerny talks. We get it, they made it easy to develop for. No more lazy devs? :)

Wow that was awesome. I would love him to do a more technical talk. I could listen for hours..... :D

I think it was cryteck that called out sony on the ram. ;)

It was Gearbox.

Nice talk, but for some reason I don't feel good about PS4 when Cerny talks. We get it, they made it easy to develop for. No more lazy devs? :)

Heh heh, they definitely have a long, bumpy, and winding road ahead of them, with everyone wanting to jump into the living room.

According to here: http://www.examiner.com/article/gearbox-ceo-holds-responsibility-for-ps4-s-8gb-of-gddr5-ram

While we are at it, I'll summarize Cerny's video:

:LOL:
Oh thanks.

It was Gearbox.

Be easy to develop for might hurt the PS4. Seems we already have devs saying code it for xbone and it will just work on the PS4.

I wonder if the comparison of total 176GB BW vs total 1088 BW which broke down to 88 + 1000 was a snide little dig at MS X1.

Ohh well liked his talk, it will be interesting to look at this talk in hindsight. And in regards to his "time to triangle" I am willing to bet some cash that Naughty Dog has a working engine for PS4 already ;)

And cool to hear the history behind the ICE Team, which was new to me.

Oh my.. does this mean we have to stop hating him for Colonial Marines?

ROFL and W T F at that 2 min intro. Everyone needs to watch it :LOL:

FWIW, he talks about culture and then the gaming industry. He does make the bekham comparison (we iberians have a problem with comparing football to everything...), but he doesn't mention his pajamas.

BTW, that was in Barcelona? I feel sorry for a spanish audience listening to a guy speaking in english for 1 hour. Spanish people tend to have some problems in understanding spoken english..

I can say the same thing about him I did about Mark Rein increasing 360's RAM. He saved the generation for Sony.

If PS4 was competing 4Gb against 8GB, it would be an uphill struggle.

Although, ERP kinda hinted in a post that the Pitchfork story was a little...more complicated than that. So it may be a bit embellished for entertainment purposes.

ROFL and W T F at that 2 min intro. Everyone needs to watch it :LOL:

That intro was painful!

The PlayStation history lesson alone makes that worth watching. Covers quite a bit of Cerny's and Yoshida's history at SCE, the birth of WWS, the ICE team, the initial PS3 hurdles and much more. Quite interesting to get the perspective of things from someone on the inside.

I am very happy to see such visionary and exceptional people in the gaming industry :D
Especially when they have freedom to think creatively and not limited as much by corporate suit target numbers
His presentation puts Sony under a different light and it shows clearly why SCEE has been such a massive success for such a long time and had a powerful recovery after the PS3's clusterfuck of issues. Even though the PS3 had its fair share of problems especially in the game development side, Cerny and Shu werent oblivious of them and they were trying to find ways to improve in those areas.
Ken Kutaragi might have been crazy especially with the PS3 but SCEE wouldnt have been the big player it is today without him. His craziness made the PS brand what it is today. The fact that they could see through the potential of people like Mark Cerny and had development companies such as Insomniac and Naughty Dog close to the company is a testament that Sony may have some organizational and planning problems but at the same time divisions such as SCEE demonstrates a side that takes initiatives and plans ahead to create opportunities and solve issues.
The PS4 appears to be the end result of an evaluation of past mistakes and correct actions. And it does remind me in some ways of the PS1 days where the golden combination ensured massive consumer adoption and developer preference: better price than competition (Just like when they slaughtered Sega with a simple price announcement at E3), accessible hardware that helped developers get good results fast and very powerful hardware :D
Mark you are awesome

Seems like house, Yoshi and cerny have quite the bromance going on. They really need to tie cerny down in some sort of contract in my opinion.

Seems like house, Yoshi and cerny have quite the bromance going on. They really need to tie cerny down in some sort of contract in my opinion.

I kinda felt like he was doing a Cerny commercial at a couple points, it appears he's a consultant without a long term agreement if I understood him correctly... IMo they would be wise to tie him down.....

I do not get the praise, the PS4 is a pretty straightforward system. If Cerny gets that much praise what about AMD engineers? Living gods?
I see nothing visionary in what he did, Intel and AMD may have been visionary with the APU concept.
KK twas a more of the visionary type, with the matching risks. Ultimately his vision sort of failed (as Sony and the PS3 are still here and did well) but I would not put the burden on him alone, it also had something to do with the state of Sony as a whole company. He in a quite noble manner took the blame almost all on him-self.

Imo some people here act as if the PS4 won by a technical knockdown before the start of the fight and Cerny is the second coming. That is pushing quite a bit and on the verge of public display of fanboyism :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
I kinda felt like he was doing a Cerny commercial at a couple points, it appears he's a consultant without a long term agreement if I understood him correctly... IMo they would be wise to tie him down.....

He was asked there to give his story so although I got the same vibe and was going to post something along those lines myself. When you think about it though thats what he was invited there to do, talk about himself, so what else could he have done.

I do not get the praise, the PS4 is a pretty straightforward system. If Cerny gets that much praise what about AMD engineers? Living gods?
I see nothing visionary in what he did, Intel and AMD may have been visionary with the APU concept.
KK twas a more of the visionary type, this the matching risks. Ultimately his vision sort of failed (as Sony and the PS3 are still here and did well) but I would not put the burden on him alone, it also had something to do with the state of Sony as a whole company. He in a quite noble manner took the blame almost all on him-self.

Imo some people here act as if the PS4 won by a technical knockdown before the start o the fight and Cerny is the second coming. That is pushing quite a bit and on the verge of public display of fanboyism :LOL:

I think people are generally impressed by what he achieved overall, including his PS4 involvement. If you followed his career, he has indeed done some remarkable things. Sony was very fortunate to have him in the early PS3 days coz the ICE team delivered Cell software tech in spades.

For PS4, it's about design choice. I suspect people cheered because of PS4's supposed ease-of-development. The choice of 8GB GDDR5 also surprised folks. But I think you will also find someone here who prefer the terabyte bandwidth design. :)

His team ultimately went for the developer friendly approach and 8GB RAM based on developer feedback. That's what the developers want and he obliged. In fact, in his presentation, I was surprised that he didn't figure out early that Cell's development difficulty is a double edged sword. The PS4 design decisions may look simple now but I suspect they probably agonized over it for a long time.

I am more interested to see how well his customization will work out in the long run. But his passion and talent seem to have benefited Sony so far. I only hope he continue to learn and contribute. Quite a few folks I know changed when they become rich, powerful and/or famous.

Truly excellent talk from Mark Cerny about "The Road to the PS4", which has some info about his background experiences and *ahem* challenges of the PS3 which lead to what the PS4 is today:

Back