• 4 million times

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5 million times

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

StefanS

meandering Velosoph
Veteran
Super Mario Sunshine has sold now over sold easily over 1 million times.

610.000 (last Degenki)
350.000 (last NPD numbers)
175.000 (Nintendo of Europe; 1st weekend)

total: ~ 1.135.000

How much units do you think SMS will set overall?

Also aren't those NPD numbers for the U.S only the first 6 days of its U.S release? (they're August numbers right?) So there's been more then a month since those 6 days for it to sell even more in the U.S. SMS is probably already at 1,300,000+ units sold world wide by now.

Hmm, what happened to SMS selling poorly?

It's selling poorly compared to SM64. One reason (among many) for this is that unlike the N64.. the GCN has had ample amounts of good to great games to play since launch. N64 had.. Mario, and Wave Race.. and Mario.. :) For a while, anyway.

I think that SMS will end up selling around 2-2.5 million units worldwide by January.

When does the SMS bundle come out? And is it comin out in other countries besides the US? If so the bundle itself sill be huge this Christmas. I expect SMS to sell 3 to 4 million in it's life. Not bad in a very crowded market place.

Teasy said:
I was just looking around and saw an article at Bloomberg were Nintendo say they've sold 800,000 copies of SMS in Japan as of September 6th (well maybe not as of Sept 6th exactly, thats just when the article was written). When were those last Degenki numbers (610,000) for SMS taken?

http://quote.bloomberg.com/fgcgi.cgi?T=marketsquote99_news.ht&s=APXhqexWrTmludGVu

I know that the NPD numbers are only for the first week of the release and the Degenki numbers are the latest published. See http://www.the-magicbox.com/toptenDengeki.htm

I intended to give only a conservative estimate, a lower mark. SMS real sales are probably a lot higher.

It's selling poorly compared to SM64.

How so? By only outselling it two to one on a comparable time basis? SM64 was extremely limited due to the installed base of its host platform when it came out. SM64 took considerably longer then SMS to go platinum.

Overall I would think Mario will hit roughly ten million units world wide over the next five years. I'd say 3-3.5Million would be reasonable world wide by the end of this year.

Edit-

Nintendo of Europe announced they have sold 175,000 copies of Super Mario Sunshine for GameCube in Europe, during the first weekend of the release, the sales of the GameCube hardware has also increased by 40% in the same week.

From MagicBox. That should put Mario in the 1.5Million-2Million range world wide already. Perhaps my 3-3.5 was a bit too low(I'm talking about actual total sales here, not NPD/Degenki numbers).

well SMS is quite a dissapointment as far as Mario games go so I doubt it will have the lasting selling prowess of the then 'revolutionary' and brilliantly designed M64. But none the less, it will sell quite a bit. My guesstimate is 4.5- 5 million overall.

well SMS is quite a dissapointment as far as Mario games go

Speak for yourself not the whole world, the game is certainly not a disapointment to me or many others. Of course its not as revolutionary as Mario 64 was, but then how could anyone have hoped it would be? Mario 64 was the first ever 3d platformer! If you move from 2d side scrolling to a beautiful 3d world then how can the next game come close to the same sort of jump?, not just graphically but gameplay wise too?

Of course people will say SMS could have looked a hell of allot better, yeah it could, but would it look like Mario? AFAICS the textures are all clear, just not going for any sort of realism.. again this is Mario, it shouldn't go for realism in too many ways (the beautiful and realistic water is enough).

Gameplay wise SMS improves over SM64, FLUDD is pure geniues IMO, I love using it, SMS is a better game then SM64, that's all anyone could have hoped for. Anyone hoping to see as big an improvement between SMS and SM64 as there was between every other SM game and SM64 is either crazy or just not thinking straight.

I think by the end of the gamecubes life span SMS will have sold at least over 5 million copies.

BenSkywalker said:
It's selling poorly compared to SM64.

How so? By only outselling it two to one on a comparable time basis? SM64 was extremely limited due to the installed base of its host platform when it came out. SM64 took considerably longer then SMS to go platinum.

Here's one... courtesy of GameSpy Daily.

Today's GSD News said:
175,000 Marios Roaming Europe - Aramo
Nintendo of Europe proudly told us over 175,000 copies of Mario Sunshine for its GameCube console have sold during the game's debut weekend. Interesting fact: since currently over 1 million GameCubes have found a spot in European households, nearly one in five GameCube owners possesses a copy of Super Mario Sunshine. Furthermore Nintendo is keen on bring to our attention the fact that the sales results of Super Mario Sunshine are thrice as successful as those of Super Mario 64 during that game's initial weekend on sale. [back to headlines]

Outselling only two to one? I think not :D

Different situation though. :)

There is over a million GCN owners in Europe right now, during SMS's release; SM64 was th' flagship launch game for N64.

I'm still about 80 shines with SMS..SFA has me owned right now (75% thru. But SMs is BY FAR Game Of The Year for now. There's nothing even close. Pure old school gaming with hellu level design that is second to none. Anyone who has'nt at least fetched two or three shines can't call themselves a true gamer. Some people in this industry are WAAAYY overrated and Miyamoto is'nt one of them.

Back