Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle

Picao84

Veteran
I'm really on the fence at the moment about getting a Switch (I'm travelling to Japan on Saturday, so it "fits" in with my current mood). I'm not a big fan of Zelda or Mario, but I love X-COM like gameplay, so I was looking at a bundle with Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle.

For whoever played the game, did you find it too light earthed? To the point of "cuteness" overload or "minions overload"? Was the story anything special?

I'm really on the fence at the moment about getting a Switch (I'm travelling to Japan on Saturday, so it "fits" in with my current mood). I'm not a big fan of Zelda or Mario, but I love X-COM like gameplay, so I was looking at a bundle with Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle.

For whoever played the game, did you find it too light earthed? To the point of "cuteness" overload or "minions overload"? Was the story anything special?

It's definitely X-com "like". It many ways it's far more casually oriented. No varying hit percentages, for example. If you or the enemy don't have cover to an enemy attack, there's a 100% hit chance.

It also does things differently enough that it changes the strategy. Movement an action are key. As an example being able to be tossed a long distance opens up massive movement potential that changes how it is played. There's still a lot of strategy involved, just a different flavor of strategy.

X-com is about cover, overlapping arcs of fire, methodical movement, etc. This game is far more about exploiting movement in combat.

It's a Mario game and it's a Rabbids game. It's inundated in cuteness and lightheartedness. I found it charming, funny, and enjoyable. But I imagine someone might alternately find it "too" cute, if that is possible. While it is certainly made with children in mind, just like old cartoons there is a touch of adult tinged humor mixed in as well.

I don't know if this helps, but many people who like Mario games, but groaned at the thought of a Rabbids game (often just silly for silly's sake) came away enjoying the game immensely.

That probably doesn't help much as I found it thoroughly enjoyable. Maybe watch some VODs of the game being played, or VODs of the story/exploration part of it.

Regards,
SB

It's definitely X-com "like". It many ways it's far more casually oriented. No varying hit percentages, for example. If you or the enemy don't have cover to an enemy attack, there's a 100% hit chance.

It also does things differently enough that it changes the strategy. Movement an action are key. As an example being able to be tossed a long distance opens up massive movement potential that changes how it is played. There's still a lot of strategy involved, just a different flavor of strategy.

X-com is about cover, overlapping arcs of fire, methodical movement, etc. This game is far more about exploiting movement in combat.

It's a Mario game and it's a Rabbids game. It's inundated in cuteness and lightheartedness. I found it charming, funny, and enjoyable. But I imagine someone might alternately find it "too" cute, if that is possible. While it is certainly made with children in mind, just like old cartoons there is a touch of adult tinged humor mixed in as well.

I don't know if this helps, but many people who like Mario games, but groaned at the thought of a Rabbids game (often just silly for silly's sake) came away enjoying the game immensely.

That probably doesn't help much as I found it thoroughly enjoyable. Maybe watch some VODs of the game being played, or VODs of the story/exploration part of it.

Regards,
SB

Well, I bit the bullet and I'm enjoying it more than I expected :D It can still be challenging enough in some levels and I'm avoiding easy mode. The humour is tolerable and I actually got a few chuckles out of it already. It's also the perfect game when you are on the move (as I'm now travelling around Japan) or waiting on queues for something. Glad I picked it!

I'm also starting to enjoy the Switch. At first it seems way too big for a handheld, but just like it was the case with large screen mobile phones, you get used to it. I haven't used it docked yet though and I really curious to see how Mario + Rabbids plays on the big screen.

Played a few demos as well and came around interested in Project Octopath. Tried the Disgaea 5 demo, something that was always in my radar, but surprisingly found it very very annoying. Can someone just shut up that female character that speaks non stop? If it's not possible to mute her, I'm not interested haha! Even then there is way too many dialogue in it for me to enjoy it. It's a strategy RPG, not a damned novel!

Back