Manhunt 2

Natoma

Veteran
The IGN guys are nuts over the game. Absolutely nuts. In the "Wii-k in review" podcast, they were practically orgasming when talking about the game http://wii.ign.com/articles/792/792012p1.html

Consider for one moment that in Manhunt 2 you can, Wii remote and nunchuk in hands, use a pair of pliers to clamp onto an enemy's testicles and literally tear them from his body in a bloody display; and if that weren't enough, you'll take one of the poor victim's vertebrae along with his manhood. Or, if you'd prefer, you can use a saw blade and cut upward into a foe's groin and buttocks, motioning forward and backward with the Wii remote as you go. But believe it or not, there is much more to Manhunt 2 than mutilation and mayhem. This is a game that begins with the subject of psychosis.

Manhunt 2 in Wii could be described as Splatter Cell because it is quite obviously filled to the brim with gore, but as you use the nunchuk's analog stick to control Danny through the levels you will also be doing your share of sneaking, Sam Fisher style. You will hide in the shadows and creep up behind enemies and the game rewards you for your stealthy ambitions with greater levels of violence. For example, it is entirely possible to run directly up to an enemy and throw punches his way, or even use one of your many weapons to dispose of him in some bloody fashion. However, these face-to-face kills will rarely be as dramatic or as entertaining - whether you gauge entertainment by the satisfaction of using stealth or by the level of blood and chunks that result - as a sneak attack. There's a whole mechanic built around it, in fact, and this is one of the areas that the Wii version of the title is much improved over the PS2 one.

In the PS2 version of the game, you merely hit a button to trigger the whole animation, which is far less engaging. On Wii, you act out the execution with a series of gestures timed to on-screen cues. If you're cutting into a man's skull with a saw, which you sometimes do, you might have to make a forward/backward motion with the Wii remote, hit the B trigger to a visual cue, and then gesture quickly upward with both controllers to put the finishing touches on the attack. It's much more immersive both because motion-based controls are inherently so and also because you're stringing together these attacks in the Wii build, while they are canned animation sequences in the PS2 one.

We've focused on the game's killing moves, but you will also be exploring environments and solving some basic puzzles. In our demo with the Wii version, we saw Danny crawling through ventilation shafts, crashing through windows, and unlocking doorways by triggering a series of latches, to name a few. In the level known as The Honey Pot, Lamb explores an S&M club complete with leather-bound sex offenders and torture devices. As he violently kills some of the club's inhabitants, he picks up their bodies and hides them in the shadows so he's not discovered - again, a mechanic clearly inspired by Splinter Cell. And an unpredictable storyline complemented by moody music and well-delivered voice acting brings everything together.

The Wii version of Manhunt 2 looks noticeably better than the PS2 version. Rockstar Toronto has used the extra horsepower that Nintendo's console delivers to "up the gore." This is done in a few key ways. For starters, character models in the Wii version will display realistic blood splatters, bruising, gunshot wounds, gashes, and head wounds. In addition, blood will actually spray the screen during combat and executions in the Wii iteration, just as it will accumulate on Danny as he explores the asylum. Considering how important the gore factor is to Manhunt 2, these are all welcomed additions. The title meanwhile looks very sharp on Wii, moves at a steady 30 frames per second, and runs in both 480p and 16:9 widescreen modes.
And some screens:

I gotta say though, the description of some of the actual maneuvers you pull off with the Wii-mote and nunchuk left me a little disturbed. That I can feel queasy just reading about it leads me to believe that Manhunt 2 is the real deal.

I can't imagine what it's like actually playing the game. :D

I gotta say though, the description of some of the actual maneuvers you pull off with the Wii-mote and nunchuk left me a little disturbed. That I can feel queasy just reading about it leads me to believe that Manhunt 2 is the real deal.

Oh come on, don't tell me that when you first saw the Wiimote and the possibilities, you didn't think about how cool it would be to use it to rip off a man's genitals. :LOL:

I'm expecting a media rampage against this game unseen since Mortal Kombat and GTA :LOL:

Ill even quote and agree with the new poster.

This game wont see the light of day in MANY countries, if it ends up being anything close to what was described.

Now, who is to say we shouldn't be allowed to purchase the game if we want is a WHOLE other thread.

The original game was a stroke of genius...and much more concious of violence in the media than any other game. It's a clear mockery of violence in the media, and reality tv shows....taking it to the extreme. It's also a game that makes you FEEL slightly ill when you're playing it. Very interesting game as both a critique, and psychologically for the player. (plus the voice acting was some of the best). I'm glad they didn't make it for PS3 or 360...too realistic. Wii sounds interesting...

I can't imagine what it's like actually playing the game. :D

It's awesome! Best use of the Wiimote yet!

I loved Manhunt, maybe I'm a sadistic bastard but I can't get enough of stuff like that :devilish: The game got a little too challenging/repetitive for me to finish, but it was a good little romp while it lasted.

I loved the first Manhunt! a real gem...

I'm a bit disappointed that it doesn't come out to the 360 which is the only consle I own... I don't care about the graphics, I would be happy with Wii quality!

Manhunt 2 for 360 NOW!

One of the worst match-ups in gaming history. The party console bought by many kids and non-gamers paired with a M-rated game about killing people. :LOL:

One of the worst match-ups in gaming history. The party console bought by many kids and non-gamers paired with a M-rated game about killing people. :LOL:

it's still nice to see come M rated games running on a nintendo console...i mean..i was a nintendo fan back in the SNES days..there was pretty EVERYTHING on that (wonderful) console...i would be glad to see more different kind of games on the wii.

btw Ngamer gave a 92% to manhunt2...sweet..except that they gave 89% to smashbros melee and 90% to redsteel.

That could change quite a bit in the future. The Wii has a nice little number of adult titles coming to it after all.

This one isn't for me, though. I've never been into GTA and killing types of games. I'm more of a fantasy, RPG, action game kind guy.

Lol. So its OK to shoot nazi's in realistic ww2 games, its OK to beat hookers with your baseballbat in GTA, Your average action movie with X amount of people killed is OK but manhunt is, for some reason, not OK?

Interesting bit here in the States. The Florida Attorney General is investigating Manhunt 2 on the Wii, but not Manhunt 2 on 360 or PS3. Why? Because the Wii allows disturbing motion controls to simulate the actual maneuvers whereas the other systems you merely push a button.

Funny thing is that that kind of attention will only help sales as more people want what they can't have, and some people just want to see what the commotion is all about. ;)

The only thing that's unnacceptable to the public is that these people are in a position to be able to tell the public what they are and aren't allowed to buy. Absolutely disgraceful and even though I care little for the game itself I'll be protesting this strongly for both versions of the game.

Interesting bit here in the States. The Florida Attorney General is investigating Manhunt 2 on the Wii, but not Manhunt 2 on 360 or PS3. Why? Because the Wii allows disturbing motion controls to simulate the actual maneuvers whereas the other systems you merely push a button.

Funny thing is that that kind of attention will only help sales as more people want what they can't have, and some people just want to see what the commotion is all about. ;)

Manhunt 2 isn't being released on 360 and PS3. It is being released on PS2 however so your point stands if that version isn't being investigated.

Back