Make a picture 300dpi

Davros

Legend
Someone wants me to do a layout for a magazine advert (proof?)
the magazine specs state graphics need to be 300dpi. Ive got a feeling that any photo/picture Im supplied wont be 300dpi, so how do I get it to 300 dpi ?

the only idea I have is scan the photo with the scanner set to 300dpi

edit: or find out what size the picture is supposed to be and resize using size x 300

is there a better way ?

Someone wants me to do a layout for a magazine advert (proof?)
the magazine specs state graphics need to be 300dpi. Ive got a feeling that any photo/picture Im supplied wont be 300dpi, so how do I get it to 300 dpi ?

the only idea I have is scan the photo with the scanner set to 300dpi

Depends on the form factor, but I think most current high end digital camera produce more than 300 dpi.

For example, a common magazine form factor is 11" x 8". That means at 300 dpi it would be 3300 x 2400. That's about 8 megapixels. So any digital camera with more than 8 megapixels should be able to produce a full picture of 300 dpi photo for that size.

I dont have photoshop and its out of my price range
and I dont think the guy has an 8mp camera probably a 2.1mp or similar and he wont buy one because he's a cheapskate
thats why he wants me to do it as opposed to the magazines art department ("they arnt very good" aka "they want how much")

ps:
Mechanical requirements and colour specifications.

All colour ads must be prepared and saved as CMYK composite files. DO NOT prepare separations. Colour images must be CMYK, including duo-tone images. Colour ads are designated as either multicolour (CMYK) or spot colours (also CMYK).

Colour Text

Black text should only be created using 100% black, four (4) colour black should never be used with text or other elements. When setting type in colour 18 point is the minimum recommended size. No more than two (2) process colours are recommended for colour type, which should be in a sans serif typeface.

Specs for Line Art Scans -

300 lpi or 600 dpi (resolution).

Ad Dimensions

Quarter page (7x3) – 7” high X 5.2” wide

Half Page vertical (14” X 3columns) – 14”high X 5.2” wide

Half page horizontal (7” X 6columns) – 7”high X 10.5” wide

1/3 page (9” X 3columns)- 9” high X 5.2” wide

Junior Page (10” X 4columns – 10” high X 6.967” wide

FORMATS

Freehand - EPS

- Convert TEXT to PATHS

Adobe Illustrator - EPS or PDF

- Convert TEXT to OUTLINE

CorelDraw - EPS or TIF

- Convert TEXT to CURVES

Acrobat - PDF*

Christ, that requirements list reads like one of those demand checklists that certain pop stars with way oversized egos secretly send out in advance to the venues they appear at... "Do this, don't do that, blah blah..." Do these printing people have computers, capable of reading data files? Then everything else should be a doddle for them.

Christ, that requirements list reads like one of those demand checklists that certain pop stars with way oversized egos secretly send out in advance to the venues they appear at... "Do this, don't do that, blah blah..." Do these printing people have computers, capable of reading data files? Then everything else should be a doddle for them.

Have you ever worked with professional print media? Without those demands lots of customers will complain with 'it doesn't look the way I made it', etc.

For example, RGB colourspace has a different colour range than CMYK. Converting one to the other can lead to loss/change in colours.

P.S. Photoshop (not the Elements version) supports CMYK. Maybe GIMP too nowadays?

yeah i'm sure gimp supports what you need here. trouble is, it sounds a little like you need a crash course in photo editing if you don't know that. no offense, it's just... might be a little more challenging than you expected is all. but i'm happy to help once you get started. i believe irfanview should also do what you need here, if you're looking for something lightweight and easier to learn.

Back