Mafia 2 demo is out!

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Neb, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Mafia 2 demo is out now for all platforms. I've yet to download it but from screens and videos it looks great and word on the forums is it runs great even on old hardware at higher settings!

Download it from Steam.
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/50130

Shots from different users at unknow settings.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Shots by Dennis4k at probably highest/high settings.
    http://www.abload.de/img/mafia22010-08-1010-12-qgft.jpg
    http://www.abload.de/img/mafia22010-08-1010-15-5f11.jpg
    http://www.abload.de/img/mafia22010-08-1011-18-5fg7.jpg
    http://www.abload.de/img/mafia22010-08-1010-15-egs7.jpg
    http://www.abload.de/img/mafia22010-08-1010-57-ygp2.jpg

#1 Neb, Aug 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2010
  2. nightshade

nightshade Wookies love cookies!
    Veteran

Could this be the.....GTA4 (technically) ?

*shrugs*

3. N_B

N_B
    Regular

Just played the demo and had a wander around the city. The detail is nice.

Just one problem.

AA performance cost is huge. It seems with everything else on max including AO I can run around the city at a comfortable 30-40fps, but AA brings it down to 20 and below.And due to a ridiculous blur that seems to go into the distance at all times you don't really want to run the game without AA (which only has On/Off it seems, no real setting).

I've heard the game has problems with ATI cards so that might be it, but then again I might be expecting to much from this laptop.

EDIT: Actually AA doesn't seem to have much effect anyway, so I guess no big loss. How on earth are those screens above so much better?

ON
    http://a.imageshack.us/img594/7318/mafia22010081023174722.png
    OFF
    http://a.imageshack.us/img94/4083/mafia22010081023180546.png

#3 N_B, Aug 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2010
  4. nightshade

Veteran

5. ct03

Newcomer

That's what I was wondering. Why on earth can you not choose how much AA you want? The AA that's being used seems to be very hit or miss. It also seems to blur the image sometimes.

[​IMG]

6. nightshade

Veteran

Aren't those shader aliasing ? MSAA can't do anything to reduce those.

7. N_B

N_B
    Regular

Can't force MSAA or SSAA though CCC either :roll:

8. N_B

N_B
    Regular

9. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Is not that bad, dunno why it looks that bad in those shots but ingame it is fairly stable. Though seems to be some 'MLAA' type of AA. Now that I think about it the game might scale PP resolution based on your framebuffer res like other games do. Thus higher res, better PP which means better DOF quality which means less blurry etc.

All native etc.
    http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1459978&postcount=1537
    http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1459977&postcount=1536

Played with APEX Physics set to high which you would 'need a separate GTX285' on my 4890 and dual-core E8400@3.6GHz. Walking around city and crashing cars gave around 25-35fps and in some few spots I hit 15-20fps. Without APEX set to this high value it runs upwards twice the framerate with max settings and 1680x1050. But damn APEX physics on high is awesome, looking at details and all loose clothes swaying like skirts, jackets etc!

10. ct03

Newcomer

All I know is that I've played lots of games in 1280x720 with 4xAA, and they look great.

When using 1280x720 on Mafia II and turning on AA, it looks as if there's some weird vaseline blur filter that doesn't kill the aliasing properly.

11. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Tried diferent settings. As said APEX on off for standard physics gives double or more in framerate. Setting the AA setting to off gives 50% more perfomance. Interesting since the AA option barely makes any difference and it more seems to me to be borked and not work correctly as of now atleast with my ATI Catalyst 10.7a drivers.

So with APEX off and AA off I get about a solid 58-60fps anywhere on the city with the rest on max and 1680x1050 and vsync on so framerate is actually certainly much higher!

Anyone with 5xxx/GTx4xx series should just disable AA option and run it super sampled with 2x2SSAA and they will certainly get superb framerates.

Btw I tested forcing MSAA/TSAA through drivers with ingame AA option disabled and it resulted in only transparencies being rendered but they where anti-aliased.

12. ct03

Newcomer

Btw, it seems like the new PhysX drivers that are being installed by the game break GPU physics for a lot of people (reported on Guru3D and Overclock.net).

People with GTX 480 cards are getting less than 20 fps with PhysX turned on, and when they try other games like Batman it's the same story. Reverting back to the old PhysX version seems to fix this for the other games.

13. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Game demo is great, awesome!

The city feels alive with lots of cars and people walking around living their life like one would expect in reality. They react nicely to your actions in most cases. Animations are also great and getting into a fist fight is trilling especially when you manage to do a 'combo'.

Sound is also great with well done weapon sounds, ambient sound and music that fits. Physics is well done and car handling is superb. Really makes GTAIV handling look like a joke. Car chases with the police is much more rewarding than in ever was in GTAIV for me. Seeing the a police car trying to pull you off the road while another officer in the police cars backseat is leaning out of the window with a shotgun trying to pop your tires and you!

Graphic is great although I hope ATI gives out drivers with propersupport for AA or the final game has it fixed or patched. Find it to look better than GTAIV (unmodded and non SSAA). Mafia 2 with mods and SSAA will be another story!

Well anyway this demo convinced me to pre-order the game!

14. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Yeah ther eis no way a GPU of decent speed would be slower than my GPU in benchmark with APEX set to high.

15. Bludd

Bludd Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall
    Veteran

I loved it, though when I entered the second floor of the mission building, the performance went to shit. Before that it was just fine. Everything set to high or enabled, 1920x1200 with a GTX 285 and an i7.

16. PhilB

Regular

Played the demo and was getting about 13 fps average with everything set to max except phsyx (medium). Pretty horrible performance but I'm guessing it's a problem with the phsyx. On the plus side the game looks pretty good if I look past the blur and aliasing issues.

17. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

What's your hardware PhilB?

18. woundingchaney

Regular

Game is very well done and the physX implementation is stunning, though it is extremely taxing. This game cry out for a dedicated physX card.

19. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Same thing happened to me with a GTX260 and E6750. Everything high 1440x900 except APEX on medium. It went from moderately playable (~20-30fps) to rubbish (~4fps no kidding).

This game looks good but the aliasing just kills it. A shame really.

20. tongue_of_colicab

Veteran

I got a 4870 q6600 and 2gb of ram and the game runs fine with aa on with everything at high at 1680x1050.