MAC OSX 10.4 , TIGER release date announced...

Discussion in 'Unix, Mac, & BSD (3D)' started by j^aws, Apr 13, 2005.

1. j^aws

Veteran

2. archie4oz

archie4oz ea_spouse is H4WT!
    Veteran

Well I've been running 8A425 on my PowerBook for a few weeks now... Can't wait to put the final release on my G5 tho...

3. CMAN

Regular

Will there be any type of review of Tiger at Beyond3D since it will be a 3D based OS?

Or will there be reviews of Mac oriented graphics cards possibly?

4. AntShaw

Regular

I am going to add this...

If your mac has less then 64mb of bd mem, you will not be able to reap all the benifits of the imroved 3d core.

I was a little dissapointed by that.

Also, if you are looking to buy a mac between now and 4/29, you are eligible for the Tiger up-to-date program! (Actually anything after 4/12)

And for all the naysayers, this isn't just another incremental OS upgrade. There are few things that are going to blow your mind. Automater is rather impressive. Just like expose, at this point, it's hard to imagine what I did without it!

EDIT:

PS. $9.95 before 7/22/05

5. vb

vb
    Regular

also core highest spec requires ATI 9600 XT as minimum spec (no 9600 PRO!!!!)

6. darkblu

Veteran

any estimates how well it would run on a mini?

7. AntShaw

Regular

Running the OS will be fine.

Using Expose and some of the other graphically intensive tasks, you will most likely experience some slowdown.

It was a little mind boggling they didnt' give the option to offer something different then the pathetic 9200 w/32mb of mem.

Again, you will be able to run Tiger, just not with all the bells and whistles.

I am going to add this again, it's just not another incremental OS update. This puppy is pretty impressive. It's amazing how much further ahead of the game they are compared to the bloated MS OS'es.

8. [maven]

Regular

From personal experience with a mini and an ibook (on Panther obiously), Exposé is rather dependent on the screen resolution (due to the low amount of video memory in both machines). There is no slowdown on the mini at 1680x1050, Exposé just runs a bit "choppier".

9. Jabjabs

Regular

Expose runs fine on the mini with 10.3 but I didn't know there where going to be any magor visual updates for 10.4.

Personally I'm going to buy 10.4 for Spotlight, that was the selling point for me.

It's funny how Apple sells mini macs with 32MB of VRAM knowing that 10.4 wouldn't be able to run at it's full potential, it's almost like packing 256MB or RAM in standard with the PowerMacs...

10. archie4oz

Veteran

3D based OS?

Walk into an Apple store, play around with one... It'll have Panther on it and if that's fine, then Tiger will be nicer...

Core Image/Video run fine on a 9600Pro, it's just a slower version of a 9600XT. The main requirement for Core Image/Video is ARB_fragment_program (anything that can run that on a Mac will pretty much meet any other requirement). Note, that's only for GPU acceleration, you can still use Core Image/Video (just runs thru AltiVec instead).

It'll probably get upgraded after a few months (whenever the iBook get's an update since it's based off of the same hardware)...

I've been running it just fine on my PowerBook (which has a 420MX Go in it and only 32MB VRAM)...

11. Jabjabs

Regular

That sounds okay then, umm... yay mini mac, I suppose. :?

12. suryad

Veteran

When are they going to stop putting crappy hardware in the mac boxes is what I want to know...yeeesh their notebooks till use 133 mhz buses!

13. Saem

Veteran

When their rate of sales ramps their economies of scale such that they can offer more for the same/less.

14. vb

vb
    Regular

Running Core image/video "with GPU acceleration" is the whole point that makes it news here, on B3D. I guess Quake3 runs just fine without 3d acceleration on MMX core. and the req are taken from ArsTechnica and sounded just as stupid to me to have XT and PRO treated differently.

have you checked if on a 9600 PRO CORE runs with full acceleration?

15. archie4oz

Veteran

Not to pick nits but... 167MHz. Secondly, do you know of any other low power PowerPC chip that would be suitable that's currently available? The only one that's remotely close right now are the MPC8641 and 8641D. However those aren't currently shipping yet as far as I know...