Low GPU Usage in Games Caused by Inadequate CPU?

ECH

Regular
Hello,

Is it true that low GPU usage can be linked specifically to a inadequate CPU? Such as:
-using a dual core CPU instead of a quad core
-overclocking vs stock

Or are there other factors to consider (IE: how the game is programed, drivers, etc)?

Sure memory bandwidth could theoretically be an issue. Insufficient framebuffer memory having to load from main memory. If the rendering is using one part of the GPU more than the rest. If FPS is capped at 30/60 fps and it's capable of higher speeds. I'm sure there's other things that could cause a GPU to not render at 100% even if the CPU isn't pegged.

Regards,
SB

Low GPU usage could be due to the CPU being too slow to feed instructions to the GPU via the driver. Take an HD 5870 and run it on a P4 then go run it on a Core i7, you'll see a huge difference in FPS in virtually any game.

Also stuff like if the game has a max FPS rate coded in or you're running it with VSynch &/or low resolution but the game is a generation or two older than the GPU.

I was playing Halo PC recently with FPS limiter set to 30FPS as is recommended.
The GPU load was so light my 4870 wasn't even needing to bump up the clock to full '3d mode' even at 1600 * 1200.

Edit: just checked & it is clocking up but running at low single digit % GPU utilisation according to GPUz

Last edited by a moderator:
Back