Lost Planet Demo Coming May 15

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by IbaneZ, May 11, 2007.

1. Orbitech

Newcomer

Good point..

2. GMâ„¢

Newcomer

Definetly one weird demo. The whole graphics setting thing is definetly not professional enough IMHO, Not representative of the NVIDIA TWIMTBPâ„¢ at all and I bet it falls short of ATI's standards too. For starters, whats with the rather odd resolution settings? No other game in my library supports half of whats offered in the in-game graphics options, worst still, not even half of them are hi-res! Odd, Do 360 owners have different screens all of a sudden or what?

(Some nice patch from Capcom® would be nice!)

Hmmm... and how come NVIDIA® and Capcom® are heralding it as the best thing since sliced bread, when if you look at it closely, its all a little bit weak.

The benefit to NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8800GTX Ultra and WasOnceATI™ Radeon™ HD 2900 owners is not that apparent when directly compared to the two versions of the demo. There is an expectation for some truly groundbreaking graphics technology, but the generation leap just doesnt live up to expectations IMHO. There are few benefits (for most Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Ultimate Edition/NVIDIA®/WasOnceATI™ users :???: ) over common Microsoft DirectX9.0c Shader Model 3.0® FX. I ran both on an ASUS® NVIDIA® Geforce™ 8800GTX Ultra Edition (Windowed, Due to the lack of 1680x1050@60Hz support) and whilst it looked exceptionally good on the Microsoft DirectX9.0c® version, it didn't blow my mind in SM4.0. Nice, crisp and loads of motion blur thats for granted, but its not a generation gap like Capcom and especially NVIDIA® would like you to believe. The textures and the water FX are weak and I overall I am dissapointed with it...

... Ok, I am going to stop with all the weird ™,®, copyright shit now, I'm bored if it too! :roll:

Gameplay is predicitable, un-inspirational console tripe, with a slight benefit of actually fully supporting the 360 pad with rumble support (slight KUDOS Capcom), but otherwise its trying too hard to be the next Metal Gear Solid/Japanese Market CGI killer purchase...

... I am really pee'd off with my 8800GTX now, its like I have been conned good and proper!

... I really hope Crytek release a demo of Crysis real soon, because otherwise I might even jack in elitest PC gaming for good!... man, I might even get the chance to play on my girlfriend's Pink Nintendo DS for a few months!... It could work out a quite well methinks! :twisted:

P.S. WasOnceATI™ is a registered bitch of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc® :grin:

3. fallguy

Veteran

I have 27 different resolutions to choose from.. from 640x360, up to 1920x1200, and 25 in between.

4. AlexV

AlexV Heteroscedasticitate
    Moderator Veteran

Perhaps it randomly gives ppl resolutions...some get a few, some get a pile, in a sick joke of some kind:))

5. Kyyla

Veteran

The gameplay is definetly the usual console tripe. I felt like a zombie after 5 minutes. My 8800 GTS 320 struggles with higher resolutions and AA. I'd still like to see some dx9/dx10 benchmarks though.

6. Richard

Richard Mord's imaginary friend
    Veteran

Heh, so I'm trying to install the demo and select my Games partition (D:) where I have plenty of free HD space. The demo keeps telling me I don't have enough space on C:\ (I have 1.2gb free there). No matter how many other drives I select it keeps complaining about C even though it says "select another destination drive" as a solution.

Like an old teacher of mine used to say "Software isn't just what's in the box, it's also the box".

7. GMâ„¢

Newcomer

Yeah most definetly! You would expect a bit of polish though, considering the effort put into the original console release.

8. Monty

Regular

The interface really does look like quick job, especially with the B icons all over the place.

9. Sobek

Sobek Locally Operating
    Veteran

Amazing! But do you get any of these resolutions that are magically missing from my copy? :???:

10. Brent

Regular

I have found that it depends on the display you are using and if you have AA enabled or not. I found with AA enabled in game some resolutions were not there anymore as a selection, turning AA off showed them again. Also I got different available resolutions on an LCD than I did on a CRT. So if you don't see what you want, try turning AA off first and see if the resolution shows up.

11. Sobek

Sobek Locally Operating
    Veteran

Tried turning off AA (it was off by default the first time I tried changing the settings...and the absolute first thing I tried to do with the game was change the res, I only have my screen setup for those that I use so every mode it offers are all skewed and stuck at 60hz...barf).

But anyway, just tried turning of AA, and the settings didn't alter, tried quitting and re-opening the game, still no change. Tried changing monitor drivers (I use drivers for a different version of my monitor because it clears up an issue or two with Source engine games) still not one damn difference. Disabled my refresh lock? No change. Reinstalled? No change. I love console ports! :evil:

12. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

If they expect the game to be played on a control pad though, specifically the 360 pad if its a Games for Windows game then that menu interface would be fine.

I will be playing this with a 360 pad on a HDTV at 1360x768 so happy days all round :grin:

I have the 360 demo aswell so will be making some direct comparisons on the same TV (vs GTS).

13. ANova

Veteran

Eh, another game that doesn't support SM2 so it won't play on my X850. :roll:

14. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

Wow! The PC version really does look astounding! It kills my GTS at max settings but it can handle 720p + 4xAA + 8xAF + everything at max with shadow quality at medium while remaining xbox smooth.

Graphically though, at those settings its in a totally different league IMO. The PC version just looks so much more sophisticated. I was put off at first because I had to use a weird res on my TV (I know see exactly what everyone is talkinbg about), it made the PC version look fuzzy and squashed next to the 360 version on the same screen but the graphical quality difference was still fairly obvious. However switching the PC back to the monitor made a world of difference, it simply looks unreal now!

#54 pjbliverpool, May 19, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2007
  15. rosman

Newcomer