Lost Planet 3

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by Alucardx23, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Alucardx23

Regular

2. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

Wow that did look cool. I'm liking the new giant mechs as well. Unless they were already present in 2, I haven't played it yet.

3. Gitaroo

Veteran

trailer is good but from a dev that made nothing but 4/10 games, I dunno man.

4. inlimbo

Newcomer

Couldn't be worse than Lost Planet 2. Maybe with a decent budget Spark can finally pull something off. Based on the screens, are they still using UE3?

5. Rotmm

Regular

Still UE3.

As for pulling something decent off? We can live in hope, but my guess is that they don't have it in them.

6. inlimbo

Newcomer

One can dream.

7. Karamazov

Veteran Regular

UE3 ? i thought 1 et 2 were using the MT framework.

maybe with the right budget they could achieve something good, just look at naughty dog, at the time of the 3DO they were doing...way of the warrior

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUNeKmHvVWM

:razz:

8. Gitaroo

Veteran

that game was done by only literally 2 kids in the basement, cant compare to what Spark has done.

9. Sigfried1977

Veteran

It's not like they can ruin the series any further.

10. inlimbo

Newcomer

1 and 2 were MT Framework, but they were internal projects. All of Capcom's third party studios have gone with alternatives, including Blue Castle, who built a custom engine for Dead Rising 2 if I'm not mistaken. Spark likely chose UE3 for the familiarity, given that their previous games were built on it.

11. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

Let's hope they don't repeat the story-less and shallow sequence of mini-missions that they turned the second game into.
    "Oh, it's a multiplayer game now!" - meaning: "We just found a great excuse so we can totally sh1t on characters, story, narrative, or even something that makes sense at all.

12. ultragpu

Veteran

Yeah it's the reason I so loathed LP2 after a much more interesting narrative in LP1. I always wanted Wayne to come back for consistency sake.

13. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

To be fair I didn't think LP1 had much of a story either, it was more of an arcade action game for me while having a few beers. I'm hoping LP2 will be more of the same when I eventually get to play it.

14. Prophecy2k

Veteran

I thought LP2 was pretty great. Whilst there were no protagonists per se, there was a story, but one which revolved around the various factions and the events taking place on the planet itself.

I enjoyed the SP campaign portion of the game immensely. I thought it was fantastic, and felt it didn't really need to start trying to bring in more emotional elements of character development into it, since the game was merely about various military elements doning powered-armoured suits to fight Akrid and FSU. It was just pure unadulterated fun, and the character progression system was awesome.

I played and completed that game about 12 times in succession. It was one helluva an additive game.

I just think the game got unfairly lambasted for not having any protagonists. But in the end i felt it was better as both a SP and co-op experience than either ofthe first two Gears of War games for example (haven't played 3). Protagonists simply weren't needed in LP2 and i'd rather have what they did than the poorly executed, poor developed characters in LP1 or any of the Gears games. Capcom simply played to their strengths.

On the the other hand though, i'm not keen of what i've seen so far. Neither do i have any faith in the dev at all.

15. RenegadeRocks

Legend

Fun is more important than characters ! If the game is fun, I don't care if it doesn't have a story. Taking down giant bosses with friends is fun !

16. warcrow

Regular

Played the game, interviewed the producer and wrote about it:

http://eat-games.tumblr.com/post/24135943175/interview-andrew-szymanski-producer-lost-planet-3

:D

#16 warcrow, May 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2012
  17. RudeCurve

Banned

Lost Planet 3 seems to be going toward the direction of RE5. I hope they release a demo on XBL soon.

18. Prophecy2k

Veteran

I'm trying to remain hopeful about this as i always feel that devs should be given the chane to prove themselves, despite their past failures.

On the other hand however i'm just not a fan of the more western designed mecha they've got in the game. Not that the new VS' are western designed, rather that the actual design of the new mecha is pretty crap.

If they looked more like the mechs from Hawken for example, then that would be great. LP1 & 2 had awesome mech designs (particularly LP2). And amazing mech variety too. I'm not convinced with this game so far.

19. RudeCurve

Banned