lopri has a little shameless behavior in the past?

lopri

Regular
Well, I don't even frequent this site as my join date and posting count imply. For the past few months, however, I came here mainly to learn about G80 and R600. I'm guessing I made a handful of posts (literally) in this site in that period.

Today I saw a little orange square under my account that says I behaved 'a little' shamelessly in the past. Not that I care about such reputation, but it's a human nature for me to be curious about how, when, why, by whom, was my behavior was judged, I'd think? I even checked my private messages which I don't even look most of the time. Believe it or not, from the join date (sometime 2004) till today (december 2006) I have total 2 private messages. Yes, TWO.

Of course the only reason I bothered to look at my PM is because I thought the person who 'rates' other members might have left a comment regarding why. Of course there is no such thing so I'm left alone guessing.

Can anyone, who is responsible for those little square things, give me an idea? This is a genuine question out of curiosity and I'm not asking for a fix or anything in that sort. (Indeed I'd prefer notoriority :LOL: ) But if you were me, you'd like to know what it's about, wouldn't you?

Ah ha! Thank you. Now I know. Very typical stuff. :)

P.S. Although orange isn't my favorite color, I wouldn't mind taking more for such reasons. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Negative reputation is, in my opinion, a bad idea.

It does little but breed resentment, and while I can see it being of use in, dare I say, sites aimed at teenagers - I think it serves no constructive purpose on a forum aimed at adults.

For example, Lopri - would you go back and change the views you posted that got the negative rep?

I'd bet, no.

So long as people are within the rules of conduct on the site, they shouldn't have to think twice about posting what may or may not go against the general concensus.

Its somewhat of a good way to pick out fan-boys in the console forum, but then again, there are a number of very biased people who have lots of blues.

Skyring, I think you addressed you're own point :LOL: But I do see what you mean. My only concern is it getting used for comments/views people just don't agree with. If it was restricted to moderator use only that would prob be better - least that way it wouldn't get abused.

I really should stay out of the feedback sections because I have opinions on almost everything lol.

Nah, you just should have been here before for one of the earlier discussions about it. ;)

It's been argued pretty well to death, and it's better than it was before now after a few tweaks...although I do occasionally miss my super-abusable powers the old system gave me. :oops:

Lopri--

You have three neg reps, and no pos reps. You should see the comments (but not who left them, which is reserved to Senior Members or Regulars) and what post they were given on in your "User CP" (see the link in the header on the left side). Your rep right now is -7. You started at +10 (as does everyone), so you're down -17 points. One of the neg reps is old enough to be from before the recent change to -5 maximum neg rep which accounts for the extra points. Your square turned orange and the description became "a little shameless behavior" when your rep went under 0 points, which appears to have happened about 6 weeks ago.

Lopri--

You have three neg reps, and no pos reps. You should see the comments (but not who left them, which is reserved to Senior Members or Regulars) and what post they were given on in your "User CP" (see the link in the header on the left side). Your rep right now is -7. You started at +10 (as does everyone), so you're down -17 points. One of the neg reps is old enough to be from before the recent change to -5 maximum neg rep which accounts for the extra points. Your square turned orange and the description became "a little shameless behavior" when your rep went under 0 points, which appears to have happened about 6 weeks ago.

Oh. That's a much more detailed answer than I'd hoped for. While the numeric rating system wasn't my best interest, I'd appreciate the kindness.

Well, at the same time it wasn't hard to guess just about everything regarding the situation at the time. Funny indeed.

I didn't think this thread of mine will get more replies after my 2nd post in this thread (where I figured things out thanks to Skrying) including replies from.. well, other respected members. ;)

The comments left to me along with the ratings were even funnier, but it's not a big deal either way, I'd say. I actually think this system can be useful.. perhaps for many other possible ways than just for the original intention. :cool:

Although I agree that the neg rep system is at times counterprodutive, I do like one thing about it very much. Sometimes someone might post something that's blatantly anti-B3D regulations, or even just something mindlessly ******. My first impulse, of course, is to hop on and flame them! :D but when I notice they have some neg rep already, I assume someone has already beaten me to it, and there's no need. This is my favorite thing about neg rep; if all the regulars observe it carefully, then there's not need to get baited into flamefests started by trolls. Not that I consider lopri a troll -- I'm more talking about ppl with 15 posts and -10 rep, for example... ;)

I decided a few weeks ago that I don't want to read my rep comments anymore. When I crossed 1k posts and could see who gave what rep I discovered something that made me angry for a while and I'm happy I managed to avoid flipping out. And now I don't want to go there anymore. Revenge doesn't help your sanity. Not going to the User CP also means I won't notice who pos-repped me, but if you think about it it's probably not necessary either. If someone makes a positive contribution you should consider pos-repping them regardless of "paying back a favor" and similar coziness.

Although I agree that the neg rep system is at times counterprodutive, I do like one thing about it very much. Sometimes someone might post something that's blatantly anti-B3D regulations, or even just something mindlessly ******. My first impulse, of course, is to hop on and flame them! :D but when I notice they have some neg rep already, I assume someone has already beaten me to it, and there's no need. This is my favorite thing about neg rep; if all the regulars observe it carefully, then there's not need to get baited into flamefests started by trolls. Not that I consider lopri a troll -- I'm more talking about ppl with 15 posts and -10 rep, for example... ;)

Couldn't have said it better.

If i'm running down a thread and I see a post that's potentially 'dangerous', the first thing I do is look left. If I see that lovely little Orange/Grey square, I just keep scrolling. I'd have to say it's worked perfectly for me so far. Just seems so...seamless ;)

I decided a few weeks ago that I don't want to read my rep comments anymore. When I crossed 1k posts and could see who gave what rep I discovered something that made me angry for a while and I'm happy I managed to avoid flipping out.

I agree, I think that feature in the CP is counter-productive.

While we're on the subject why is it now possible to give rep in the General Discussion forum? I thought that had been turned off along with RPSC?! Or am I mis-remembering?

How about doing away with bad rep alltogether? You could still see the difference between "goodies" and "baddies" thanks to the amount of pos rep, but would avoid all the issues with bad rep.

The shameless behaviour is easy to handle by reporting to the mods, I really see no use for bad rep besides fighting out personal issues.

The other forums I'm in (music-related) have either no rep at all or only good rep. Works like a charm, everyone's happy.

If you can't handle someone negative reping you on the internet then you have some much more serious issues than what you're discussing on said internet board.

No. I can definitely hande it, why should I care in the first place? I also rarely ever got any. It's just a source of endless discussions and many people use it to just neg rep the people they don't like or don't agree with. Read my post above again.

Back