Looks like...P4, here I come.

Man...utter dissapointment!

I was hoping/expecting the Thoroughbreds to really shine when it came to overclocking...and man did those results suck.

So...it looks like I'll be going with a P4 this summer.

ummm

what results ? and why don't you wait for real overclockers to get the chips ....

From what I'm told the current Thoroughbreds top out at around 2.3-2.4ghz . So if you lower the ratio and up the bus to 166+ it will beat a p4 well past 3ghz

here

"Using the Epox 8K3A+ motherboard that I just recently reviewed, I was able to push the FSB and lower the multiplier to get a finishing speed of 2160 MHz or 2.16 GHz. This is a very nice 316 MHz overclock on the processor, that ran perfectly stable in all our burn-in tests in Windows XP. Look for more on overclocking the Thoroughbred core in a future article. "
http://www.amdmb.com/article-display.php?ArticleID=187&PageID=4

I can't wait to see how the next part overclocks , by then any kinks will be worked out .

This *really* sounds like a case of very poor yields at the moment. Of course, there is also the fact that all of the current reviewers got their CPU's a week or two ago, so actual shipping CPUs may be just a little bit better.

Hopefully this is just a case of AMD's manufacturing process not being up to par yet.

However, there are other problems that may prevent it from being that nice and simple.

The main one is the die size. With a die size of not much more than half the Palomino's, heat dissipation could be a very significant problem.

The other possible issue is, of course, architectural limitations. Just like the Pentium3 hit a rock wall before the original Athlon core, it is conceivable that the current Athlon has hit a similar rock wall in increasing clock speeds.

Or perhaps it's just that the K7 is showing it's age. It's likely the short pipeline holding it back. The P4 is definately a better overclocker. If you can get your hands on a Malaysian P4, there batch numbers start with L, you can have those OC without a voltage mod, my friends Malaysian Willie went from 1.5 to 2.0 GHz with no voltage increase and stock cooling.

Other P4s will require a voltage boost, but it'll be minmal.

We never know what is really happening, but remenber there is Barton for next year, all with the same socketA/mobo :)

Duron is dead, and Thoroughbred is for the low-cost to mainstream market, hammer will be for the mainstream high-end. Also see the Anands Unreal 2 performance test: http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1635&p=12

The AthlonXP 1900 (1.6GHz) will be faster than P4 2.2, cool chip (low noisy fan) and probably cheap too :)

The key with next generation games (D3 U2) will be a good 3D card. CPU is a given.

my new system.... arrives on friday....

P4 2.4 (533)
Intel850E
512mb 40ns RDram
MSI GF4 ti 4200 (that will be immidiatly overclocked to as close to 300 as possible)

Great machine Hellbinder.

About AMD, there is some Barton (512kb cache) down the road. The good sides of AMD great price/performance and single socket (up to now).

I liked the Tom´s hardware review with the details of the new coolers needed by thoroughbred. Now we need a cooper plate.

Back