Looking for a new project car

Sonic

Veteran
I'm currently looking for a new project car (not new as in from the dealer but new as in something new to do) and was wondering if any of you have a few suggestions. There are a few factors that I will list and see if anyone can help me.

1. Under $30,000 or so
2. RWD or AWD, no FWD
3. Something turbo, it can be NA but definitely needs mod potential
4. Reliability a plus

That's about it. I will not go the 3S path again as those cars are just too unreliable. I was htinking about a Supra as I've found some in nice condition for around $25k. I wouldn't mind doing a Supra as they are nice cars as long as they aren't riced out.

I also don't want any sort of Mustangs. Nothing against them I just don't like them at all. Chevy V8's are also an option but I'm leaning a little more towards a turbo car.

If anyone has any suggestions that would be great.

Any particular reason why you are ruling out front wheel drive? I've had 3 RWDs and 3 FWDs and one of the FWDs is the best handling car I've driven. Is it just the potential extra complexity or are you after something with a lot of power?

My experience with FWD cars basically comes down to the handling aspects and how well the power is put to the ground. Traction is a major concern when the engine has too much power for the FWD car to handle. It's a much bigger issue than it is in RWD cars for the obvious reasons. I don't mind playing around and modifying a suspension to make a car handle better or be able to put the power to the ground, but it just would be much easier in a RWD car. I basically do not want a drag car, more for road courses and occasional street racing. What FWD car was it that had the best handling?

How much would a kit car cost in total? I could do a Cobra but that might be too beyond my skill level. Great information on those sites and I'll definitely look into it!

Simon, I pm'd you back.

I have a '48 Nash. it's certainly going to be a project for whomever decides to fix it... it needs a few key things like a gastank.

I am about get '68 Toyota Corona. plan to keep it in orginal state and best possible condition.

it's not an excotic, but they are starting to get rare nowadays. (they were so popular in the sixties that not many cared about saving a one.)

besides, importing toyota started here 1964... :)

if someone looks a really rare project, try to find 50's U.S. market Toyota Corona. only around 500 were sold.

ADDON:
and yeah, Bond cars are legends.
in Dr. No Connery drove with Triumph, btw. :)
after that came Aston-Martin DB5 in following movies.

first non-british car was Toyota 2000GT Cabrio (only three factory made cabrios exists.) in You Only Live Twice, and after that, AMC got themselves as seocnd non-British official Bond car provider in Golden Gun if I recal right... Also Sub-marine equipped Lotus Esprit is well known bond car as well. In Timothy Daltons movies, Aston-Martin was back with Lagonda model which had laser cutters in wheels. And let's not forget George Lazemby's car, again Aston-Martin, this time DBS.

Sage said:
I have a '48 Nash. it's certainly going to be a project for whomever decides to fix it... it needs a few key things like a gastank.

oooh.... Nashes are extremely rare in europe. I have seen only one in my life. really nice car. another almost lost make is Studebaker. last summer saw Lark IV in extremly good condition.

please, don't let some youngster rip it off! cars like that deserve to be restored.

epicstruggle said:
Simon F said:
could you share that info with all of us. :) Id also like to know what car it was.

epic

Simon F being up to Italian Job quotes on other thread, don't tell me it's a Mini? :D

(though Mini had and still has one othe best handlings ever designed. good weight distribution, FWD and wheels in corners made it handle really well even in pretty high speeds.)

Nappe1 said:
I am about get '68 Toyota Corona. plan to keep it in orginal state and best possible condition.

it's not an excotic, but they are starting to get rare nowadays. (they were so popular in the sixties that not many cared about saving a one.)

if someone looks a really rare project, try to find 50's U.S. market Toyota Corona. only around 500 were sold.

ADDON:

first non-british car was Toyota 2000GT Cabrio (only three factory made cabrios exists.) in You Only Live Twice, and after that, AMC got themselves as seocnd non-British official Bond car provider in Golden Gun if I recal right... Also Sub-marine equipped Lotus Esprit is well known bond car as well. In Timothy Daltons movies, Aston-Martin was back with Lagonda model which had laser cutters in wheels. And let's not forget George Lazemby's car, again Aston-Martin, this time DBS.

Let's not forget that BMW's with Brosnan...

_xxx_ said:
Nappe1 said:

ADDON:

Let's not forget that BMW's with Brosnan...

in here, I must say that I accept only one Brosnan starred bond as a real bond movie. (it's the one where he has remote controlled big BMW, can't remember model right now.) Most of them are just ok action movies, without any bond style storyline what so ever. The only one that I like has quite lot common with the older bonds, while others have too much destroying stuff and well... action. If you look at the Goldfinger, that is very often said to be best bond film ever, bond movies are so much more than just "man, gun and the machine."

Nappe1 said:
Sage said:

oooh.... Nashes are extremely rare in europe. I have seen only one in my life. really nice car. another almost lost make is Studebaker. last summer saw Lark IV in extremly good condition.

please, don't let some youngster rip it off! cars like that deserve to be restored.

I just remembered- mine is a Supra. I think. Does that sound right? Anyhow, yeah I won't let someone rip it off. It was bought brand new by my great uncle who gave it to my uncle who gave it to me on the condition that I never sell it and give it to someone else in the family once I'm done with it. It's in terrific shape cosmetically (for a car of that age) because it's spent almost its entire life in a garage. There are no dings or anything in the body, although a bit of rust on the emblem. Someday it will be restored.

so, if someone has not noticed yet, though I have my favorites in makes and models, I do love cars. :) all kind of cars. not even age is limiting factor.

Sage: which version of the Supra do you have? Mk3 or Mk4? T, TT or Naturally Aspirated?

Mk3 with 2.5 liter with Twin Turbo, would be nice, as being outside the japan extremely rare. (at least it never came in europe... we had only 3.0 and 3.0 Turbo available.)

Back