looking for a free format/partition tool (FAT 32)

LunchBox

Regular
I am planning on using an external 2.5" HD to transfer files between a win millenium desktop and an XP based one. My problem is that the win millenium doesn't recognize the NTSF extrenal HD. I am looking for a free program that could reformat my external HD to FAT 32.

any input is greatly appreciated :)

millenium doesnt need to read ntfs to format it
just fdisk it then format

or do you mean m.e can see the disk at all ?

connect the drive to your xp box
then start -- run cmd
then type format /? to see how to format as fat32

eg:
format x: /fs:fat32

actually you would get more trouble doing it from windows XP, where format is intentionnally crippled so you cannot format more than 32GB in fat32. for this there's a freeware tool called fat32format.

that limitation is really stupid now that we often have external HDDs and you'd better have one that can be read by every non windows machine (linux, mac, dvd players and other electronics with USB host)

actually you would get more trouble doing it from windows XP, where format is intentionnally crippled so you cannot format more than 32GB in fat32. for this there's a freeware tool called fat32format.

that limitation is really stupid now that we often have external HDDs and you'd better have one that can be read by every non windows machine (linux, mac, dvd players and other electronics with USB host)

Kewl!

thanks!

I will keep this one for future use :)

Back