Longest running game series?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by bystander, Nov 24, 2005.

1. bystander

Regular

Does anyone know what is the longest running games series is?

2. Guden Oden

Guden Oden Senior Member
    Legend

Duke Nukem. It's gonna last FOREVER! :D :lol: :twisted: ;) etc...

Barring that, Friggin Madden football or some other sports crap I suppose. Excluding sports crap, there were quite a few ultimas and final fantasies. Those are the longest 'proper' series I can think of off-hand.

3. karlotta

karlotta pifft
    Veteran

Ultima?

digitalwanderer likes this.
  4. Snyder

Regular

Wizardry?

5. silence

Regular

bah, that was my first thought... but running as "EA running" or acctually making new games on same franchise?

6. Diplo

Veteran

Space Invaders? A new version just came out for the PSP. Or you could argue that Virtua Tennis etc. are just updated versions of Pong. Probably 'Ultima' is the longest running 'proper' series, though.

7. Dersaidin

Newcomer

8. V3

V3
    Veteran

What about Rockman/Megaman, there must be around 20 titles utilising those characters series with roughly the same 2D platformer gameplay style.

9. silence

Regular

why there is no remake of "Jet Set Willy"? ;)

10. wireframe

Veteran

Madden and Ultima sound about right. They have had a decent flow of additions to the series and not sporadic revivals. Isn't Ultima pretty much dead now? (I mean this as in: it is no longer being produced, not that the existing ones won't live forever! Ultima fans, please don't hurt me!)

11. Tahir2

Veteran

Whatabout Final Fantasy and other games of that ilk like Dragon Quest?

12. IgnorancePersonified

Regular

13. DOGMA1138

Regular

14. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

I think Ultima too, doesn't it also have roots in "Temple of Apshai" or some such? (Vague memories from AppleII games long past...)

Pong is older, but I don't really consider it seriously as a "series" and more as a boutique game now a days.

Ultima however is still evolving from the old days and is actively played whenever a new one comes out.

15. Bubbles

Newcomer

Maybe football manager? I remember it back in the speccy days, and it's still going.

16. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Heh, "Star Trek" must be up there too...they've had games based on that since pretty much computers inception.

17. Diplo

Veteran

You could also argue that the series of games (latest being Worms Mayhem) are just updates on the ancient 'Tank Battle' game were you had to try and hit an enemy tank by entering in the elevation of your turret, baring in mind terrain, wind speed etc. I remember playing games like that way back in early 80's on Commodore Pet.

18. Tim

Tim
    Regular

The Donkey Kong series started in 1981, Donkey Kong can also be considered the first Mario game.

There has been released more than 40 Donkey Kong games (also counting the same game for different platforms). And I don't think I have to mention how many Mario games there is.

Ofcause there are still new Pong games being released (the original Pong was released in 1972 and was the first commercial succesfull computer game), but I would not consider that a series but rather independant remakes.

19. Blade

Veteran

Longest running means longest in existence with a new title out within the past few years. (so its still "running")

Space Invaders isn't really a franchise. I'd say something like Ultima.. Pac-Man.. maybe Donkey Kong. Those could qualify.

20. Gollum

Veteran

DIE YOU *+#'&%$*#!!!!!!!!:evil:

Naah j/k, it is kind of in a koma really. Although there have been several Ultima games in the making over the past 5 years, all were cancelled before completion. So its not a dead series in the way that no one touched the series in a decade, but all recent attempts have failed for one reason or another. Since the rights are with EA and all the original creators have moved on, I'd say chances of Ultima awaking from its koma are very slim (in any form recognizable and worthy of attention that is). There's plenty of promising fan-projects (TCs, remakes etc.) to keep us Ultima-Nerds happy though. ;)