Lizard Lady vs the Cats

I fear the growth of shovelware titles and the lack of quality control will be steadily creeping into Sony's and Microsoft's digital gaming services [libraries] on supplying more and more titles (for quantity), rather than quality. Especially, when first-party and major third-party titles development times are becoming longer.

I fear the growth of shovelware titles and the lack of quality control will be steadily creeping into Sony's and Microsoft's digital gaming services [libraries] on supplying more and more titles (for quantity), rather than quality. Especially, when first-party and major third-party titles development times are becoming longer.
Thats the thing I was worried with Gamepass. I dont know how the economics of Gamepass work. But the subscription is shared between the titles.
I remember somewhere reading how Gamepass may have affected negatively AAA games like Gears of War when the launch of the game and its inclusion were so close.
It sounds more profitable for less costly games to get in there.

Well this game was 6kr in my store, you do not even get a pack of gum for that. In the video it's mentioned that the cost is 60 cents. What's the point, economically? If you have to have a dev kit plus give a % to Sony.
Just passing Sony requirements must take more than you expect to earn back. Aka the contest question.

I think this will only be a problem if these titles get a good number of sales to cover the cost of development and publishing on PSN. This seems unlikely but I assume most PS5 owners have eyes.

Sure Sony has standards, I assume for users this will be frustrating to sift through all the shovelware looking for decent titles

I remember somewhere reading how Gamepass may have affected negatively AAA games like Gears of War when the launch of the game and its inclusion were so close.

All the stories I've read (not specifically Gears) have been about Gamepass driving sales, Sea of Thieves being banded as an example.

Thats the thing I was worried with Gamepass. I dont know how the economics of Gamepass work. But the subscription is shared between the titles.
It sounds more profitable for less costly games to get in there.

Unlike the regular storefront, titles on Gamepass are curated.

IIRC, to get a title onto Gamepass, Microsoft has to approach the developer, not the other way around.

Basically a developer doesn't apply to MS to get onto Gamepass. Microsoft makes an offer and as a developer you either accept, decline or negotiate.

Of course, AAA developers likely can just let their contacts at MS know that they are interested and likely get onto the shortlist for inclusion into the service.

Regards,
SB

All the stories I've read (not specifically Gears) have been about Gamepass driving sales, Sea of Thieves being banded as an example.
Sea of Thieves lives through microtransactions though right? Also smaller titles and indie games that dont have much publicity or are overshadowed by the big titles can benefit I am sure.
But do we know for sure that all AAA games that rely on unit sales benefit from it?

Sea of Thieves lives through microtransactions though right?

There's no microtransactions related to gameplay. It's purely optional cosmetics only.

There's no microtransactions related to gameplay. It's purely optional cosmetics only.

Yeah, the Pirate Emporium is where you can purchase pets, clothes & ship/item cosmetics with real money. And it wasn't added until almost a year & a half later.

Tommy McClain

Unlike the regular storefront, titles on Gamepass are curated.

IIRC, to get a title onto Gamepass, Microsoft has to approach the developer, not the other way around.

Basically a developer doesn't apply to MS to get onto Gamepass. Microsoft makes an offer and as a developer you either accept, decline or negotiate.

Of course, AAA developers likely can just let their contacts at MS know that they are interested and likely get onto the shortlist for inclusion into the service.

Regards,
SB

Think Microsoft might be interested in adding this to their curated list?

As much as I respect what they've done with Gamepass, I wouldn't want them to go near this IP. It'd spoil the source material - know what I mean? They'd replace Lizard Lady with a marine and I just don't think marines should be fighting cats.

It was the first 1st party to launch day & date on Game Pass. You would have to look at the free Preview/Beta to see how it was without GamePass. IMHO it's success from the beginning should credited to Game Pass. It was built for it. If you want to look at PC outside of Game Pass, it's done really well on Steam.

Tommy McClain

Back