Live: What new features and expansion possibilies 2011?

Squilliam

Beyond3d isn't defined yet
Veteran
Supporter
Given that we are already in discussion about PSN I thought it would be time to discuss what features Live ought to have added in 2011 and where we could see it expand.

My view on features.

1. Cloud support.

I think it is past time that things like saved games get synced to the cloud for two major reasons. The first it gives you the ability to play the same game on the same profile seamlessly whereever you can find a networked Xbox 360. The second is that it gives you a backup in case your hard drive meets an untimely end. It is very distressing to lose dozens of RPG saves with hundreds of hours invested.

2. Clan friends list or user defineable seperate friends lists.

This way if you have a clan which has 50+ members you can have a seperate friends list so you can play with both your regular mates/friends and many of your online friends. That way you don't have 50 clan mates hogging your friends list which you only play certain games with.

3. Syncing of profiles to smart phones.

Since you carry your smart phone with you everywhere, why not let the smart phone itself carry the profile that way you don't have to go through the trouble of recovering your gamertag every time you move from one Xbox 360 to another.

4. Online bleeping rollout.

Why not make online a safer/nicer place for people without having to hear all those dirty nerds and their incessant cussing? It'll help broaden the market for online gaming. Personally most voice chat with PC gaming has been pretty tame but I hear horror stories all the time.

Now for expansion possibilities:

There is the obvious Windows Phone 7 route which they can take. However given the fact that Kinect would also make a pretty nifty/killer TV interface, why not go the Google TV route instead? They can expand their service both under the TV and they can engage in revenue sharing with the TV manufacturers and perhaps see a Kinect Xbox 360 integrated into the TV itself. It does seem like a good next step for many of the consumer electronics companies who are looking at differentiating themselves and at the same time gain access to much more consistant revenue streams.

Lastly I would like to see more of the Xbox Live content expanded out the rest of the world. It seems pretty pointless only giving the full Xbox Live experience to the one country. Surely the content makers themselves must realise that they are leaving a lot of potential revenue out there by not even offering their product for sale in many countries.

So what do you think?

Expanding the friends list past 50, and being able to group friends into lists would be nice. I'd also like to be able to appear online or offline, relative to each group. It would be cool if I could show online to a bunch of friends, but appear offline to some of the wackjobs that play NHL.

Cloud support for profiles and saves would be cool. It would be nice to be able to go to a friends place and log in with my profile to play and have my avatar and everything.

With the last dashboard update in early November, the friends list is now limited at 1000.

I don't want separate lists. I want the ability to use meta-tags on the friends list and view by meta-tags. Then you can sort them however you want and have them included in multiple lists. I think something like "Halo REACH", "B3D", "Gears2", "Friends", "CoWorkers", "WTF", "NHL", etc would be nice. I'd certainly have a much larger list and wouldn't be as stingy with adding and keeping more of the game-specific players around. Now if you could also enable different notification settings for each meta-tag group that would be a nice bonus.

I know AT&T (?) in certain markets has enabled IP-TV for Xbox360 consoles. In the monthly surveys my local provider runs, I always mention how that is something I want as well.

With the last dashboard update in early November, the friends list is now limited at 1000.

Actually it never got raised. It's always been at 100.

I don't want separate lists. I want the ability to use meta-tags on the friends list and view by meta-tags. Then you can sort them however you want and have them included in multiple lists. I think something like "Halo REACH", "B3D", "Gears2", "Friends", "CoWorkers", "WTF", "NHL", etc would be nice. I'd certainly have a much larger list and wouldn't be as stingy with adding and keeping more of the game-specific players around. Now if you could also enable different notification settings for each meta-tag group that would be a nice bonus.

That sounds cool. Kind of like how friends list works on Facebook.

As for features I'm wanting, they need to fix the long delay in loading up my Games Library. It still takes forever for it to update. Second thing, put back the Rating button on games in the Games Library and add a shortcut link to Marketplace for each title. I also think some discovery tools would be nice. Take some of the features of Destination Arcade like: recommended by friends, titles similar to this(if you like this, then you might like this), filtering by price, genre & ratings. I would also like more customization of the dashboard like a My Favorites channel where I put links to my favorite games, apps, or links to folders in my video library. I would also think it would be cool if Microsoft opened up app development for dashboard apps like WP7, iPhone, Android/GoogleTV/Chrome. I think it would be cool to be able to download a customized weather app which had Live Tile support. A web browser seems a no-brainer but I'm not so sure. If it had Kinect support that might not be so bad. But at least have the ability for dashboard apps to have access content on the web. Same goes for Indie Games, they should have achievements, leaderboards, access to the web & Kinect support.

Tommy McClain

I think they should take a good long look at XBMC and look to emulate a lot of what it does. Give me more codec support for streaming movies and make it easier to link up what folders I want to share with my PC. There is also a pretty good weather app as well.

For some reason, even though I have enabled sharing on my PC, it does not show up on my X360 or PS3. It does show up on my modded Xbox via XBMC.

On top of things mentioned:

1. Universal search. I think the Back button can be used for this. From any where, hit the back button and start searching. The results would look through all of marketplace content. Being able to search through netflix, ESPN3 and other would be a great bonus also.

2. Kinect hand/voice gestures for everything, as an option.

I don't want separate lists. I want the ability to use meta-tags on the friends list and view by meta-tags.

Not that I have many people on my list, but yeah, they just need to make it on-par with MSN Messenger... Where's my "sign-in as offline" when I turn on the box? Sometimes I just wanna hop on quickly to start a download or check out something really quickly and not give the impression I'm gaming. :p

After the Facebook integration on PSN, I was hoping for something similar on Xbox where it'd post achievements. It seemed like a natural thing to do. >_> I can't imagine that it'd be any worse than what they've already got with the data (images, status etc) being shared.

Would be nice if they had a more extensive video calibration tool instead of those three profile settings that don't explain much.

There is a rumor (it was on Engadget and others recently I think) that MS is going to turm Live into a full TV service of some sort, though the details may not be known for up to 12 months. Makes sense and I'm sure it's in planning stages.

One of the touted options "under consideration" was that you'd be able to subscribe to individual networks, such as ESPN. Now that would be awesome, I'd subscribe to ESPN and drop my cable bill in a heartbeat.

I would also think it would be cool if Microsoft opened up app development for dashboard apps like WP7, iPhone, Android/GoogleTV/Chrome. I think it would be cool to be able to download a customized weather app which had Live Tile support.

Tommy McClain

That would be pretty awesome, now that I have Windows Phone 7 it would be pretty cool to be able to download applications to the home tiles or even a specific application tier in the Xbox menu. There would be some pretty cool possibilities, like say an in built clan chat application or something like that where you can broadcast to all your friends at once rather than having to message individually.

How about letting me use my Microsoft Points on my damn phone... (HTC HD7) EDIT: My wife wanted to buy Oregon Trails (don't laugh we both grew up on that...didn't everyone?!?) she has 1200+ MS Points I gifted her and was pretty upset she couldn't use them.

Indie games ratings need to coincide somehow with the consoles ESRB ratings (I had to turn off all of my parental controls to get the "uprising" games to appear).

Let me purchase and stream Zune Marketplace TV and Movies to my phone at least over wifi; having to purchase and download titles to my paralells or boot camp part. and then sync those items hardwired is...crazy.

Game/App sharing between Gold Family pack member phones (this would also entice some to upgrade to a family pack...$$$) similar to what I believe was called "squirt" on Zune devices. EDIT: An addendum to the points "issue" I bought Oregon Trails on my phone thinking that the "share with 5 devices" meant devices in general and not, only those devices that also have my xbox live account on it which leads into my pre-edit statement.

Given that Comcast and AT&T both have mobile and online delivery of theirs users' subscription packages have something akin to ESPN3 which is provider based and have a tile with my cable/satellite/tv providers demand based content. So, since I have Comcast, have a tile in the Video section that allows me to view the "OnDemand" content that I have access to through the Comcast/Xfinity website. If I had AT&T U-Verse, same thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

I have that one and it isn't that bad but the issue is the settings within the console are still going to determine what you see on the screen so going form standard to expanded and/or changing your video/game and film settings will all make the calibration screens look different. Personally, I used avsforum to decide which of the settings I used. I'll be over there perusing threads trying to purchase my projection screen so if I come across the post again I'll repost it here. I THINK it was that thread but not sure

Last edited by a moderator:
How about letting me use my Microsoft Points on my damn phone... (HTC HD7) EDIT: My wife wanted to buy Oregon Trails (don't laugh we both grew up on that...didn't everyone?!?) she has 1200+ MS Points I gifted her and was pretty upset she couldn't use them.

That makes a whole lot of sense. It shouldn't be too hard to make them transferable.

Cloud support for profiles and saves would be cool. It would be nice to be able to go to a friends place and log in with my profile to play and have my avatar and everything.

You can, to an extent.

I believe games use the ability to save information as part of the live profile - which is synced to the servers (so they are synced back when you can recover the gamertag on another console). I can't say a specific example though.

I want what I've always wanted . . . to be able to play games I've installed on the HD without actually having to insert the disc.

Yes, I've become so lazy that getting off the couch to swap discs is too daunting a task.

I want what I've always wanted . . . to be able to play games I've installed on the HD without actually having to insert the disc.

Yes, I've become so lazy that getting off the couch to swap discs is too daunting a task.

I want that too, but unfortunately it seems reserved to be only for the Arcade and GamesOnDemand titles. Unfortunately the titles don't hit GoD until much later in their lifetimes.

That's what children are for. ;)

I thought they were for tax deductions.

Back