LittleBigPlanet Kart racing

Arwin

Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
Legend
Surprisingly, a new LBP game was announced at Destination Playstation yesterday, which is an LBP version of Cart racing.

However, the original web source is gone. A Gaffer preserved an image though that seems to confirm it either as an expansion of the original or a new game altogether:

EXjqM.jpg

If it has tight gameplay it could be good. Played lots of karts on PS1 and PS2. Modnation Racers didn't do it for me, notably due to lousy framerate, but it also lacked a certain something.

I've always said it, and i'll say it again...

This is what MNR SHOULD have been from the beginning!

Glad it's coming though. A natural evolution I would think :D

It seems a bit odd to go competing with MNR though. I mean, MNR offers the same package or iser creatable levels and all. It just didn't feel right.

It seems a bit odd to go competing with MNR though. I mean, MNR offers the same package or iser creatable levels and all. It just didn't feel right.

Yeah, I don't get it. From reviews and user feedback it seems MNR needed a sequel to clean up controls, some performance issues, and offer more depth (and customization) to weapons. But outside of that it has the whole create/play/share thing down pat. In fact it is one of the very few PS3 games that will motivate me to get a PS3 someday. Enjoy your embarrassment of riches PS3 owners with LBP Karting and MNR.

Btw, it would be a shame of the character modifications are lost by using sackboys. That is one slick feature in MNR.

Perhaps MNR2 was considered as having too small an existing fanbase whereas LBP's would be easier to tap into? MNR's editor was pretty excellent though and made things very easy. The auto-populate was great for beginners and dabblers.

I also wonder what the create mode in LBPK will be? If it's as flexible as LBP2's then that points to whole games in a new perspective, with things like space shooters and FPS being possible. Effectively it could be LBP-with-a-different-camera with the platforming dropped as that's not great in 3D and replaced with the karting hook.

If it has tight gameplay it could be good. Played lots of karts on PS1 and PS2. Modnation Racers didn't do it for me, notably due to lousy framerate, but it also lacked a certain something.

did you try the retail version? the beta had an awful framerate but from what I've seen it's much better in the final game

Nope. Only the Beta. It didn't 'click' with me in the gameplay though, so I never tried the demo.

maybe the better framerate would have helped? I haven't bothered - but then I haven't bothered with mario kart either...but the kids seem to enjoy them both.

man I wish I had the time to play more games :(

Here's a trailer. Interestingly, it's actually the ModNation guys who are developing this apparently.

As an Xbox owner I am jealous of the embarrassment of karting riches PS3 owners enjoy. At least Cars 2 is a very good Mario Kart clone (I need to start a new thread on that) and the core of the game is very good... but no level creator and no killer figure maker ala MNR.

Acert93 said:
As an Xbox owner I am jealous of the embarrassment of karting riches PS3 owners enjoy. At least Cars 2 is a very good Mario Kart clone (I need to start a new thread on that) and the core of the game is very good... but no level creator and no killer figure maker ala MNR.

But you'll have Trials: evo soon, that should comfort at least a little. ;)

Here's a trailer. Interestingly, it's actually the ModNation guys who are developing this apparently.

Yes, I am very glad that happened. I hope they take the concept one step further than ModNation Racer. Use the LBP DNA to create new types of racing games (e.g., Monopoly + racing)

Am a big fan of the Modnation Racer platform. Very robust and flexible, yet easy to use.

Bumping this thread as I recently got a chance to try out LBP Karting via PS+.

This game is surprisingly fun and the level design options seem closer to LBP than I would have expected based on some of the community levels I have tried out. It may even replace my wife's Blur addiction. Hopefully a nextgen version is in the works.

Personally I found ModNation Racers distinctly unfun and so avoided this game upon release (plus the beta crashed immediately on startup for me). Glad it made to PS+, definitely made this month's subscription fee worth the price of admission.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
My family has played this game a ton, ages 5-9 and one adult. The older ones also love making levels, as bad as they are.

Great game, over looked and was too harshly reviewed IMO. Seems any Mario identified genre get blasted for being not Mario.

Tried this game but it wasn't any good to play, chiefly because of the massive issues with going from race to race. You can't just select a 'cup' and play 4/6/8 tracks in a line and have a winner. You had to search through tracks, select a track, pick one at random, play it, see if it was any good or not, then quit that level and try another one...most of the time was spent looking for tracks rather than playing. We abandoned the game and bought CTR off the PS store instead.

Back