Lips

Cool, thanks! We like the game for sure. Just needs a LOT more DLC (and good DLC). Hopefully you can import songs and DLC to the upcoming Lips: Number One Hits game like RB1>RB2.

What's the music import thingy like? The way it was presented, you could put in any of your CDs and have your entire library to sing to. What's the real implementation?

The import thing is useless to me as it has no lyrics. If that was possible, it'd defeat the purpose of DLC, I suppose. Overall though, the game layout is very basic and easy to pick up and use for any one.

As for difficulty, if you want more precision singing, go with Rock Band. If you want a very poor implementation, get GH:Metallica. What a disaster.

You don't even need your CDs mine connects directly to my iTunes Library on my Mac and my wife has used her Nano as well. Once you choose one of your songs it gives you a lame "would you like to send us what song you are listening to so maybe one day a decade from now we will work on this song and make it available for DLC" ...
Oh. I wonder if they had bigger plans that just didn't work, or this was all they meant when they said they had something cunning for being able to use your own tracks? Whatever, they need to roll out DLC. A karaoke games lives or dies by the library. If they don't want players to tire, they need to provide fresh content. Plus it's an easy money-spinner! SingStar is a nice little earner for Sony. I guess in that respect the limiting factor is licensing?

Oh. I wonder if they had bigger plans that just didn't work, or this was all they meant when they said they had something cunning for being able to use your own tracks? Whatever, they need to roll out DLC. A karaoke games lives or dies by the library. If they don't want players to tire, they need to provide fresh content. Plus it's an easy money-spinner! SingStar is a nice little earner for Sony. I guess in that respect the limiting factor is licensing?

This month saw all kinds DLC...

Available June 5:

I Alone – Live
Somewhere Only We Know – Keane
Joey – Concrete Blonde

Available June 12:

Freak Like Me – Sugababes
Love You Anyway – Boyzone

Available June 19:

Spiralling – Keane
Take Back The City – Snow Patrol
Radar Love – Golden Earring

Available June 26:

Love Like This – Natasha Bedingfield feat. Sean Kingston
Ice Ice Baby – Vanilla Ice
I Want You To Want Me (Live at Budokan) – Cheap Trick

I think things will get better when Guitar Hero, Rock Band & Lips all get their own music stores on the dashboard under Music Marketplace. I know I can't wait because I'm tired of seeing just songs in the Game Add-On section.

BTW, the Lips wireless microphone is going stand-alone $50 this fall, but if you really want them go get the Lips 2-microphone bundle for $50 or less now. I sure hope Microsoft isn't just putting one microphone in that package at the price, that would be insane.

Tommy McClain

They have a fair bit of DLC, each Friday they add three new songs. Not sure though how this compares to Rockband / Singstar.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_downloadable_songs_in_the_Lips_series

Right. I guess Robert's just not finding material he wants. Singstar is apparently up to 900 tracks now. Don't know how regularly they're released. RB/GH seems to get frequent appearances on PSN download content too. SingStar has broadened it's library considerably, but they are still missing out on some mainstream singalong classics, chiefly famous musicals. Someone should bag Webber and 'Sound of Music'.

Available SingStore songs (depends on your country):
http://www.singstargame.com/en-gb/Browse-Songs-Home/SingStore/
There are 760+ English songs. The rest are other languages.

SingStar PS3 can also read PS2 SingStar songs (You can see the past song list here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SingStar_Rocks!)

I believe they add 20+ more every update.

EDIT: You can find the GAF SingStar thread here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209717&highlight=SingStar

They are a lot more diligent in tracking the songs.

Every two weeks so says the intro of that GAF thread. So that's ~10 songs a week for Singstar versus 3 for Lips. I think variety counts for more than quantity though.

Every two weeks so says the intro of that GAF thread. So that's ~10 songs a week for Singstar versus 3 for Lips. I think variety counts for more than quantity though.

Oh, I thought it's 20+ every 2-3 months. :p
Didn't realize they update it so frequently.

Back