Lionheart...

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Saem, Oct 12, 2003.

1. Saem

Veteran

Well I got my hands on Lionheart, it's pretty good overall. It is a bit buggy, which seems rather weird considering the engine should be pretty solid, I also noticed the occasional slow down -- 700MHz, 512 MB RAM and an 8500 with cat 3.2.

In anycase it's a lot of fun and the historical figures that make "cameos" are really nice. I just wish it was less buggy and one could connect to other games via ip addresses. Instead you're forced to use the ingame browser. Additionally, the online play seems rather laggy.

2. L233

Veteran

I played the demo and could not bring myself to accept that horrible real time combat. Combat in Lionheart plays like an ultra-cheap Diablo rip-off designed by a 12 year old retard with a sadistic streak.

Magic does not work in combat since the low screen resolution prevents you from effectively using ranged attacks. Ditto for archery.

Combat in Lionheart is completely retarded. Zero tactics, zero skill, just luck and pressing the right hotkey at the right time. Kinda like Dungeon Siege, only much much much much worse. I hate it. I hate it so very very much. And I want everyone who had a hand in designing that combat system to suffer and die a horrible, slow and extremely painful death.

Compare this to The Temple of Elemental Evil. ToEE sucks in terms of story and bugs but the turn based combat simply kicks ass. There probably has never been any RPG game on PC with such a fun implementation of turn based combat. Even beats Fallout in that regard. It's probably the first RPG which made me look forward to the next combat encounter - I used to be more of a "story" kind of gamer.

3. Saem

Veteran

Yeah, the combat system is pretty retarded.

In multiplayer; however, it can be a lot more fun, with one guy tanking you can have the ranged attackers doing some pretty serious damage.

4. MfA

MfA
    Legend

It is a pity Troika couldnt get TOEE finished. With polish it would have been a hit, even if it is just a dungeon crawl, critics always love their games. Personally I think it wouldnt work all that badly as a multiplayer game either.

The situation seems FUBAR now though, Im sure that after the patch it will be a great game (and some mods to add some new dialog to get a little more story in there wouldnt hurt either) but I dont think after this they will get a chance to make a sequel :(

IMO Lionheart was a poor game which could have been ok, but TOEE is a gem in the rough.

5. Saem

Veteran

I don't know Lionheart has a very interesting plot premise -- more interesting than the trite D&D plots.

6. Saem

Veteran

Well I got ToEE, wow talk about a gem in the rough. A bit more patching and some multiplayer and NWN will look like completely ass in most regards. The possibilities in the game are incredible.

7. John Reynolds

John Reynolds Ecce homo
    Veteran

Troika is working on a patch for ToEE. I refuse to play it until at least that first patch is released.

8. bloodbob

bloodbob Trollipop
    Veteran

Play bg2!!!!.

9. Saem

Veteran

The player made patch is supposed to fix most of the issues.

I'm aware of the patch, but still, mp is an absolute must for me.

Funnily enough, I'm going to start bg II in a few days.