Linus Tech Tips?

Grall

Invisible Member
Legend
Why is this guy so popular? And, where did he come from? I'd never even heard of him ever until this (sadly now passed) summer.

Companies seem to trip over themselves to heap exclusives on this guy, but he has like the most annoying voice ever and he acts like an overgrown ADD kiddie so I don't understand how people stand watching his videos.

So... What gives? What is it I'm missing? Is there even anything, or is it just another PooDiePie thing where I simply don't get it because of, shit, I dunno, too old maybe? *shrug*

Because the majority of YouTube Watchers are ADD Kiddies themselves. Category 5 Technology TV is the better produced tech video series.

I rarely watch his videos but the few times I did I guess people like them because they he does a reasonable job at explaining things in lay man terms while not being boring to watch/listen to. Production value doesn't appear to be bad for what it is either.

30 page in depth reviews are nice but as most people these days have the attention span of a Goldfish a sub 10 minute video where people see the product in action and get told to buy it (or maybe not) in the end is probably much better promotion than starting a comment flame war because 90% of the people reading a review didn't really read anything and just skipped to the charts.

Now, on the matter of most YT reviewe(r)s…
...Yeah? What's your opinion on them? :D

I generally don't watch video reviews, as I feel they're often lazily made and shallow on actual information. Review a power supply or motherboard in typical video form for example and you'd get almost no actual information that would be helpful in making your choice of purchase. PC cases, well, that's OK; a video might actually be beneficial, if it shows detailed views of the case and points out any gotchas you might encounter when building your own system in that case.

I watched a few videos with a guy in a really big beard and 'fro-like hair. Dunno his name, or his channel's name, but he was pretty good. Overall tho, I prefer reading. I suppose that makes me old-fashioned these days, but you just can't have graphs and charts and comparisons in a video that makes the information easy to digest or to reference later.

Oh well. It seems like the overall trend of everything is to dumb things down. Video reviews aren't going to go away, they're going to be the norm... You know it, and I know it! :devilish:

He is just entertainment, most people watching him don't really depend on him for test numbers and accurate specs, they watch him because he put a spin of "fun" on presenting hardware to the masses, same thing for other YouTubers like "jayztwocents".

Back