LIFE SPAN OF COPPER

mkillio

Regular
Anyone know how much longer Copper is going to be used in processors? I assume the next metal they would use would be gold, unless processors were to make a radical change in their design.

mkillio said:
Anyone know how much longer Copper is going to be used in processors? I assume the next metal they would use would be gold, unless processors were to make a radical change in their design.

Are you crazy ? :oops:

RainZ

Gold is more conductive than Copper isn't it? And Silver can't be used as far as I know. Does Gold not disipate heat as well as copper?

Yeah that diamond stuff is pretty nifty.

Does the small nature of semiconductors prohibit the use of some kind of composite/alloy I was at cornell recently and saw what one of the professors had been doing to test different mixtures and it was very cool.

He used ion sputterers to sputter different metals, then used an old fashioned chart printer with mercury replacing the pen to measure conductance/capacitance and other parameters throughout the entire range. After he found good spots he could simply analyze the exact mixture and replicate it. Already he had found some amazing results for making new capacitators that have much more capacitance/ or can be produced much smaller than current methods.

Back