Let's evolve, shall we?

The signal-to-noise ratio of the console forums has always been lower than the rest of B3D fora. There are plenty of informative threads in the console forums, there's just much more noise.

Anyone suggesting a merger of fora, should search the archives for the reason it was broken up back in the day. Nothing has changed since then.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone suggestion a merger of fora, should search the archives for the reason it was broken up back in the day. Nothing has changed since then.
Yes, one should always learn from the history, rather than following humanity's incessant changes from one flawed system to another and back again without learning squat. We are where we are regards the board for reasons. Any future reasoning has to consider those past reasons too or repeat the problems that the changes back then tried to fix.

It's where the least of us choose to live. Some call it the slums or ghetto.

Yeah but it still is hilarious to partake.. sometimes. So many mad broskis left and right. So many casualties on the PS side ( :LOL: ). Inb4 temp ban. :2lol:

I haven't seen this mentioned yet, but something that I think would be extremely interesting would be more interviews with software and hardware engineers rather than PR departments. I know that's something that's probably pretty unlikely and difficult to do, but I find it extremely interesting when those types get a chance to talk about what they are doing.

And beyond just what they are doing, but things like where they see things heading, what they would like to do if they could but can't due to limited time and resources, where they see things going, what things had to be cut due to limited time and resources, etc.

As to PC and console forums? Dear GOD please keep them apart! :D I enjoy the console forums, but I love the relative peace and rationality that the PC forums have due to generally not getting into versus wars. Although the occasional ATI vs. NV thing goes on or the occasional console influence on game developement, it's nothing like the chaos that sometimes permeates the console forums.

Regards,
SB

The problem is that corporations don't want their engineers to talk because they aren't marketing the game/firm properly in their opinions.
You have to ask permission to answer interview about your work, so you might even get a briefing about what you should say or not...

All proposals keep the PC & Consoles Games forums separate, please have a look at the other thread :)

This mod is one who works for a graphics tech company but has never made a secret of it. I, however, speak only for myself and I'm sure there others here who are employed in the graphics/computer industry but are not officially allowed to speak on behalf of their employer.
Yeah completely agreed with the above. I can walk the line and post "as myself" and not hide who I work for (notice I use my full name for that reason), but something like an explicit signature would probably be too much of an implication of speaking for a given company. I like posting here and discussing stuff with other devs and really want to protect this environment where we can speak relatively freely - even technically to "competitors". Let's try and keep it that way instead of forcing many of us out please :)

As far as B3D goes, I definitely think it should continue to play to its strength of in-depth articles that other places simply don't have the expertise to do. I'd love to see a deep dive each time a new CPU or GPU architecture comes out, ideally to the level of the Fermi/Cypress stuff. And I agree that RWT and B3D are both great and should team up where it makes sense :)

Also let me note that I'm sorta scared of the console forums, or more-so the people and... uhh... "tone" of the discussions there ;) I'd love to chat about stuff like how tech between PC/360/PS3 compares for rendering in various situations, but it's hard to keep that separate from the unabashed platform fanboy-ism. If it's not possible to keep those two separate, then please leave the forums separate too.

[Edit] Oh I like the recent Dead Space interview article too. More interviews with game devs about how their rendering engines work would be great! :)

Just an update about the forums

ninelven said:
*** Also, there is no obvious way to get back to the front page from the forums, put a "Front Page" tab next to "Home" on the top navigation bar.
One issue corrected!

We've added links to the site on the forum theme. We've also made the forum logo act like a link to the forum first page.

I've been meaning to post for a qhile and haven't becauseI have other things to do and feel I end up wasting hours of my life on an epic rant, but the above post by Andy has prompted me to at least say something now rather than procrastinating further.

A bit of history, I arrived at B3D looking for technical talk about the consoles, particularly what PS2 could and couldn't do with its design and whether its programmability resulted in good advantages over XB in some cases. I had been across several gaming forums populated by dicks who'd never have a rational discussion and just line up on either side of the XB or PS battlelines to be stupid against each other. I chanced across B3D and could actually talk about the tech, and found a place where people weren't here just to champion their prefered CE device. That's why I'm here, and IMO why this place exists.

I also look as this place offering something on an academic level as it were. As Andy says, an open forum where there's talking with business rivals in a free arena where it's all about ideas, not affiliations. Things like the Raytracing debate are constructive and useful. Threads may not answer questions, but they can inspire new ways of thinking or new avenues of exploration. this has to be encouraged.

Sadly this cannot exist in an environment where the layman can mess up discussions, and that's all too often what happens. The very environment of the Console boards is antagonistic. There's an underlying philosophy (common to the internet) that you have to prove someone wrong which leads to dead end, pointless debates, but it's worsened in the console space by "wrongness" being a subjective appreciation for the enemy hardware. This then colours every debate. I want to talk about programmable graphics hardware, and the interpretation turns to whether Cell was a good business choice for PS3, or if Cell+RSX is better than Xenos. Even proper posters like Joker are automatically steered onto these same, tired ways discussions because that's the base level of interpretation embued by a base level of behaviour of posters. So we get sitatuations like this :

Also let me note that I'm sorta scared of the console forums, or more-so the people and... uhh... "tone" of the discussions there ;) I'd love to chat about stuff like how tech between PC/360/PS3 compares for rendering in various situations, but it's hard to keep that separate from the unabashed platform fanboy-ism. If it's not possible to keep those two separate, then please leave the forums separate too.

Which is exactly the opposite of what we want. This means the board doesn't belong to the engineers and intellectuals with the layman free to peruse, but it belongs to the layman with the academics wanting to fit in every now and then, but unable to.

I have long held the view that the board should be open, and we have on rare ocassions accepted in someone with a...lively attitude, who has learnt to be more objective and discuss things with less platform interest. There have also been times where a somewhat silly idea has lead to useful remarks from industry insiders. But in all honesty those situations are rare, and when a new voice starts posting there's a trepidation that they'll be making a lot of noise leading to a lot of nonsense. There's also a sad reality, though the likes of MfA feel otherwise, that without the constant pruning and moderation it'd collapse into the sort of mess of everywhere else. And the cost of maintaining the boards erks me, because it means it's a false community that doesn't sustain itself. See the KZ3 thread, where plenty of sane posters lost it and started posting utter crap of the worst kind. People will get dragged down to a lower standard if the higher standards aren't maintained, and they can only be maintained in a public forum by serious moderation.

I don't think you can mix the professionals with the layman. I think what's needed, somehow, is perhaps a subforum where it is professionals and professionally minded people only. I would keep the existing forums, but from there, whether by invitation or application, posters can gain a voice in the professional discussions. These professional fora won't need much moderation, and we can lose the subjectivity and keep moderation pretty objective, with a minimum number of absolute rules leading promptly to exile from these private forums. That would ensure everyone there posting is objective and not contributing to crap, which in turn should help attract more professional contributions, which would create more useful info to report back to the public forums and hopefully attract more technically minded, interested industry-outsiders to join and add a healthy public curiousity into the private forum.

That's an idea anyhow. Dunno how it could be maintained, or implemented. All I can say with confidence is that as long as the console discussion is open completely to the public, it will never improve beyond its current standard of discourse. Which is still better than the rest of the internet, but far short of what I feel B3D should be aiming for.

Why not just make ignoring people easier? Some other forums I visit have an ignore button on each post.

People too lazy to noise filter in their heads AND to click an ignore button are unlikely ever to make a significant contribution on an open forum IMO.

That won't help create a more open, intellectual discussion. New forum members, hopefully developers, would have to learn who to ignore and not, and go through that rigmarole. It's like suggesting in a law court you let all and sundry in to voice their opinions, educated or not, and leave it to everyone present to choose who to ignore or not. Doesn't it make more for the forum to create a valid 'ignore list', or rather 'accept list', to ensure only worthwhile contributions on the technical level are shared in the first place? As long as you are open to new members with the right credentials/attitude, you aren't unfairly excluding valuable contributors, nor letting noise devalue the forum and deter the desired clientele, nor creating work for mods or users to filter out noise. The filtering would be done on the user level.

Fine, allow developers to use some kind of automatic filtering ... just as long as anyone can contribute to the forum and I can use it without that "accept list" (whether the users of the accept list can see me I couldn't give a damn about).

I always read slashdot filtered at zero rating ... please don't try to make up my mind for me, I can guarantee you I'm better at judging my own preferences than you.

I said everyone would have access to read the developer forum. Just not everyone would have a right to post - that would have to be vetted somehow to make sure only valid contributions are made, and those who post know the rules and know their rights will be revoked if they overstep the rules however many times. All other discussion would take place in the open forums, where developers could contribute, and where good discussion being taken down the toilet could be moved/reinvented in the developer forums.

where good discussion being taken down the toilet could be moved/reinvented in the developer forums.
It's hard to describe how fucking fucking fucking fucking fucking bad an idea this is ... which is why I attempted to step up the profanity instead.

Why not simply have per user black/whitelists, and allow developers to get a special flag which adds them to a developer whitelist which new users can subscribe to? Developers who don't want to interact with the plebs subscribe to the developer whitelist and filter out all posts from people not on their whitelist, and replies to posts from people not on their whitelist. Developers who don't want to interact with plebs but don't mind seeing replies to the plebs from their equals (which might inspire them to add some plebs to their white list) only filter out all posts from people not on their whitelist.

Apart from the developers you can add some extra categories which people can import wholesale into their whitelist as well of course, although determining who goes on them is a non trivial exercise.

I don't think creating a stage solely for developers only will be successful or popular ... and actually moving threads there with content created by people who can't even post there, well I already expressed my opinion.

I said everyone would have access to read the developer forum. Just not everyone would have a right to post - that would have to be vetted somehow to make sure only valid contributions are made, and those who post know the rules and know their rights will be revoked if they overstep the rules however many times. All other discussion would take place in the open forums, where developers could contribute, and where good discussion being taken down the toilet could be moved/reinvented in the developer forums.

I wouldn't mind something like this. It doesn't take long after a person joins generally to know whether they tend to be more disruptive and argumentative rather than informative and open minded. Likewise, it's noticeable when people start to become more open minded even if they still hold to their views over time. Everyone has their own opinions on things, but often how they express those opinions and whether or not they take the time to consider other peoples opinions can quite often derail an otherwise enjoyable thread. I know I can be just as guilty of those things sometimes. :D

I already generally try to stay out of more technical discussions between developers/researchers to try not to just add noise. So having a forum specifically for developers/engineers/researchers/etc. along with "sane" (tongue in cheek) posters that can have a mature discussion with people who don't share the same opinions would be nice, IMO.

It would sort of be like the exact opposite of the RPSC forum with all the regular forums in between.

Regards,
SB

I don't think creating a stage solely for developers only will be successful or popular ... and actually moving threads there with content created by people who can't even post there, well I already expressed my opinion.

We're going to do something else, but the idea of a space where none of the random noise is allowed in is good IMHO. Also, it won't be a stage solely for devs, but rather a stage for people who really really want a high level of tech discourse, and don't want random "my IHV/console/API/whatever is betterrer than yours" noise. I'm sure you're one of them, by the way.

But why make the selection for people? Why not let them self select. I forgot all about user groups.

If each forum (and new posts) simply gave you two lists :
- View posts from usergroups
- View replies to post from usergroups
In which you could select from say Developers, Senior Members, white list and everyone ... then everyone could self select who they wanted to converse with and who they consider noise.

If Developers only want to talk to developers, fine they can have a forum which does that ... if I don't then the exact same forum can do that too without affecting aforementioned developer.

Back