Legit reviews interview with Terry Makedon

Thunderbird

Newcomer
Has anyone else seen this, not much in there but I thought this question came out of nowhere. Especially since some of the things I've read here indicate that nvidia are doing the opposite, a la Dusterbuster II.

LR: R420 is right around the corner for ATI. Rumors are flying that the NV40 is being toned down because it performs so good. Would you like to add some marketing hype as to how the AGP version of the R420 will do?

Terry: Marketing hype is only good if you know all the details. At this point I have no idea how NV40 will perform. The most I can say is that I will be using an R420 on my gaming machine very soon.

http://legitreviews.com/reviews/atiinterview0404/index.html

So far there's no new info here. :rolleyes:

PS: At least we got some nice questions-answers like this:

What, if any, performance difference is there between the early PCI-X graphics cards and today's AGP graphics cards?

Terry: With a native PCI-E implementation there will be a sizeable performance increase in a variety of applications.

ROTFLMAO...

There might not be any noticeable improvement in games, but any application that requires sending rendering results from the frame buffer back to system memory would probably benefit.

Even if the first implementations are only half-duplex, it looks like PCI-Ex can handle traffic going in both directions much better than AGP.

"There might not be any noticeable improvement in games, but any application that requires sending rendering results from the frame buffer back to system memory would probably benefit. "

EMULATION! Specifically PSX.
Of course going since I'm already over 200fps in my PSX games I don't know why I would want to go higher.

Back