"legit" 3dmark05 or whatever it'll be called pic

Whoa :oops:

But, still, there's no signs of flashlight on that gun either...

More seriously, the pic looks incredible. Is there any self-shadowing in it? Worm, can you anwser (if you're allowed to)?

I found it very impressive when that armored-guy in that screenshot starts shooting that huge gun of his and his body/helmet/etc light up from the gun flare. Of course, I am not allowed to say much more than that :) ;)

That screenshot is not representative of the best renderings in 3DMark05 IMHO. We all more or less know there will be several "game tests" in 3DMark05 and one of them is the standout (=most impressive) to me IMO and that screenie is not it.

Worm, I'm not in trouble for saying all that, am I?

I'd have to see it motion, but in that pic it looks kinda like he's just resting his hands on a floating gun. :D

Graphically though, it's very nice.

In Australia the latest issue of Atomicmpc did a good review of 3d Mark2005 thanks to James Wang (from this board but under a different nick). The editorial was excellent, glad to see good reviews by folk who know their stuff!

g__day said:
In Australia the latest issue of Atomicmpc did a good review of 3d Mark2005 thanks to James Wang (from this board but under a different nick). The editorial was excellent, glad to see good reviews by folk who know their stuff!

Sometimes takes a couple of weeks for atomic to arrive here, sucks :(

I`ll have to check tomorrow :LOL:

I remember messing around with 3D Studio Max years ago and waiting 20 minutes for one frame to render. Looks like those days are back...

Vysez said:
Whoa :oops:

But, still, there's no signs of flashlight on that gun either...

More seriously, the pic looks incredible. Is there any self-shadowing in it? Worm, can you anwser (if you're allowed to)?
All objects have self-shadowing. ;) In that shot they don't show up that well, but they are there!

Reverend said:
Worm, I'm not in trouble for saying all that, am I?
You will get spanked my friend! :D

Hyp-X said:
So theese screenies aren't legit?
Actually they aren't. They are from an early confidential build of 3DMark05, and do not represent the final art/cameras/content at all. Also, the results in those are simply not even close to the real thing. As said, it was an un-optimized early version, so please disregard any info from it. All shots with the D-CROSS logo on them are from that build.

Sweet! Something to do during the dark and cold months. :)

So, care to give us a little hint about NV40 vs R420? No? :LOL:

101998 said:
On a 3.6ghz and a 6800u, HOLY SHIT! Can't wait to watch the slideshow on my pc.

Yeah, just makes you wonder how many thousands of dollars we'll have to cough up for next generation games on our PC's. (eg-games that will be intended for Xbox-2 type performance.)

Is it using shadow mapping? I'm see some jaggies at the edges of the shadow. Presumably they won't be so visible when in motion.

Now I know why performance is abysmal. I have a feeling PSMs are the main reason why performance slows to a crawl even on today's high end. If those PSMs were stencil shadows, would performance be better on today's vpus?

Luminescent said:
Now I know why performance is abysmal. If those PSMs were stencil shadows, would performance be better on today's vpus? I have a feeling this is the main reason why performance slows to a crawl even on today's high end.

I found it amusing or irritating, depending on the mood, when somebody throws around complicated-sounding words on forums with an air of authority.

Do you have the slightest idea what you are talking about, other than "John Carmack uses stencil shadows so they must be teh c00l"?

Back