legacy hardware and backwards compatibility of nvidia

austin2359

Newcomer
I like to dual boot, and yes, I know what dosbox is, but that doesn't run everything. I dual boot with 98se, but my new 7600gs is not compatible. I was wondering if anyone knows if I can somehow convince windows 98 that the 7600gs is an older card, like maybe an fx5200. I would lose the advanced functionality and extra power but I don't care, its old software that doesn't require much, I just want to get out of this 640 by 480 and 16 colors. My old fx5200 provided more than enough power for old time legacy software.

A possible but less ideal solution would be to somehow enable onboard video for windows98 by overriding the bios somehow, but keep the video card for xp. Having to change the bios every time I change operating systems is a drawback that would make the dual boot "not worth it" in my opinion. But I'm sure I could find a splitter that would deal with the hardware side of using two video outputs.

I'm looking for hacked drivers, old drivers, cpu emulation of the gpu, basically anything that will run legacy software/hardware. So if you know something, post it. Anything that will help with running older operating systems on a newer computer relevant to video is certainly welcomed.

What I should have done was bought a 6800 ultra instead of a 7600gs, as its faster, more compatible, and generally better for a similar price.

latest win98 drivers support geforce 6, and I think someone made it run with geforce 7 by modifying the .inf file but I'm not sure about that.

I think it was only a matter of adding the hardware ID, strings etc. to the .inf file. a geforce 7600 is G73.
you might try to do it by yourself, here's a link that may help you http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=171843

Back