Left 4 Dead

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by eezing, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Scott_Arm

Legend

In the demo you start on top of an apartment building. Then you go down into the streets and into a subway entrance before hitting your first safe house. Then you go through the subway and into a weird machine room with a minigum before entering the second safe house and the demo ends. Just wondering what % of an actual campaign that makes up.

2. Andrew Lauritzen

Moderator Veteran

Agreed! It's quite hard to be effective against well-organized survivors but when you do pull off a perfectly timed ambush it's so much more satisfying than anything you even do as survivors :) Very strategic, patient, calculating gameplay :)

3. Richard

Richard Mord's imaginary friend
    Veteran

Er... I'm guessing you wanted to quote Rodéric?

4. Arnold Beckenbauer

Veteran

There is no demo anymore. Buy it or wait till free weekend.

Does L4D offer a Guest Pass?

5. sonix666

Regular

I played the full game as well tonight. It's really great in my opinions. The gameplay elements are simple, but very effective for forcing playing as a team. Combined with the director it is fun to play, since I can't expect things to play out the same twice. Next to that it has the same FPS feel as other Half Life games, so it plays and feels great.

And where the demo ended, in the full game the level is not yet done. I have a feeling that some of the later levels are longer than the previous ones.

6. Richard

Richard Mord's imaginary friend
    Veteran

No demo anymore? Any reason given?

EDIT: Heh, so I'm browsing the L4D Steam forums for info on the demo situation and on page 3 I see a thread titled "demo still accessible in offline mode" or some such. I click on it and it takes to the standard "thread is non-existent", I refresh the forum and it's gone.

You know what, I'm quite tolerant of Steam but using it to cut off access to a demo?

7. Scott_Arm

Legend

My guess is to pressure people into buying the game to try it now that there's a bit of word of mouth from people who have played it.

8. Rodéric

Rodéric a.k.a. Ingenu
    Moderator Veteran

Yep, there are 4 movies (or campaigns), cut into 5 chapters each.
    And the demo is 1.5 chapters long, because the second chapter is cutoff compared to the final game.

I bought the game trusting Valve would deliver, but when I got the demo, I felt like I might have made a mistake, so the demo was a failure to me, it might be better not to let it be played ^^ (at least it is in my opinion)
    [Oh, and there was no versus either, really not representative of the final product.]

The game however is, irrelevant in solo, fun in coop, and great in versus.

They need to make trials available, I don't buy games blindly.
    (Ok I did for that one :p But all previews were very positive.)

9. sonix666

Regular

The demo was short, but I absolutely liked it very much ;)

10. Randell

Randell Senior Daddy
    Veteran

Demo was great fun, only a disappointment if you played SP only.

11. sonix666

Regular

Yes, while bots are useful to fill up spots, the game and the fun comes from playing with other humans.

12. chambers

Newcomer

Here is a link on how to get split-screen working if you have a game pad for your PC http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=745113
    I had to disable the game pad in the game menu then go through the steps to get it working.

13. Andrew Lauritzen

Moderator Veteran

Oh yeah, I've played some splitscreen on PC in the demo (until they disabled it in the patch... ugh), which is why I was disappointed that it was notably poorer on 360. As it is, it's better to plug a PC into your TV and happily game with two gamepads :) The notable annoyance to PC users is that you can only use one mouse/keyboard combo of course. That said, it runs fine on my laptop (arguably as well as on the 360 ironically), so that's the better solution to have more real estate for each player anyways :)

14. willardjuice

willardjuice super willyjuice
    Moderator Veteran Alpha

I think they said they were going to put the splitscreen hack back in when the full game was released. I don't know if they followed through or not.

15. chambers

Newcomer

It's in the full game, since that is what I have and I played split-screen on it with my brother yesterday.

16. Rodéric

Rodéric a.k.a. Ingenu
    Moderator Veteran

mmh
    there are issues with the server system.
    Often the lobby system just doesn't work... when it does, you can't get a dedicated server... even when that works too, you can still get awful ping...
    When you otherwise join a game, you can't know before-hand your ping (critical data to me) neither the room left (critical when you plan to play with a couple of friends and the lobby system is once again defective)

I'm wondering if people also have these problems.

The gameplay is solid, but I find it extremely tiresome to spend many minutes to be able to join a game, something that takes seconds in say... TF2.
    (Usually spend 10 minutes, can become 20 and still no acceptable server....)

17. willardjuice

Moderator Veteran Alpha

Yeah I agree, the only glaring flaw in this game is the matchmaking. Valve has some work to do in this area.

Having said that, I just host a private dedicated server for my friends and I and we always have a blast. :grin:

18. Andrew Lauritzen

Moderator Veteran

Yeah in addition to those issues, the most annoying one IMHO is the ability for server providers to screw with settings and still have their servers selected by matchmaking! i.e. you can set up a nice verses game and get into some server just to discover that the guy who runs the server things that it's more fun if the game difficulty is set to expert so the zombies always win in the first 30 seconds... or similar. I don't mind people customizing the experience on their own servers, but the matchmaking service should *never* select such non-pure servers to dump people into. At the moment, between these issues and the "sometimes your ping sucks" issues, it's just trial and error trying to get onto a playable server, even if you have 8 people organized beforehand.

THAT ASIDE, the game is still fantastic, and once you do get into a game it's a hell of a lot of fun :)

19. willardjuice

Moderator Veteran Alpha

Actually for versus mode I think the difficulty should be set to hard (which is advanced, but for some reason Valve names the difficulties differently in the server cvars) as normal seems too easy for the survivors (but I agree that expert is too easy for the zombies).

20. Andrew Lauritzen

Moderator Veteran

But the point is that regardless of what you or I think, the mathmaking should never join anything other than the stock settings (or settings that you can set before you invoke the matchmaking).

On the difficulty point though, I used to think it was too easy for survivors too, and then I found a bunch of good friends and got good at infected :) Now I'm impressed if any one of them makes it out alive on the 4th and 5th chapters and it's not unusual to take out at least one or two on the first few ;) That said, I do think there should be more of a director-based penalty for running at maximum speed through a level. As it stands, that's too effective a strategy in Versus mode, although I'm sure it'll be addressed.