LCD - good enough for gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
radeonic2 said:
and you think at 60 fps there will be jerkyness?

Quake 3 is a good test. launch whatever map on a CRT at 100Hz (w/o v-sync), and change the cap on the framerate in the console (the variable is com_maxfps).
60fps is jerky but 100fps is smooth. (and yes, playing Quake3 at 60fps sucks. it's kind of a pathological game, needing a lot of fps to be well playable, but no matter the game 100fps is still better than 60)

Blazkowicz_ said:
Quake 3 is a good test. launch whatever map on a CRT at 100Hz (w/o v-sync), and change the cap on the framerate in the console (the variable is com_maxfps).
60fps is jerky but 100fps is smooth. (and yes, playing Quake3 at 60fps sucks. it's kind of a pathological game, needing a lot of fps to be well playable, but no matter the game 100fps is still better than 60)
well consider this- the doom 3 engine is capped at 60 fps... so surely it is only capable of rendering jerky movement?

NANOTEC said:
Image quality is not just about ghosting. CRTs have their own set of issues like convergence, linearity, geometry etc. In summary, the best available LCDs destroy the best available CRTs in almost all categories. Now as far as CRTs with DVI connections, those have been around for a couple of years already, but they still don't solve the issues fundamental to CRTs I mention above.

Those issues can be minimized satisfactorily. It's not like they were blaring inadequacies that exist with utterly no form of mitigation.

Blazkowicz_ said:
and a major downside is that for good, bigger than 17" CRT you would need dual link DVI.

Not necessarily- you would not need anything more special than what is suitable for LCD panels, already. Unlike the LCD panel, the CRT would be able to smoothly accomodate whatever resolution that works out to, rather than just one native resolution (let alone one very high resolution that would require dual DVI's).

Anybody know what is used to connect those giant Apple displays? I'm curious.

randycat99 said:
Not necessarily- you would not need anything more special than what is suitable for LCD panels, already. Unlike the LCD panel, the CRT would be able to smoothly accomodate whatever resolution that works out to, rather than just one native resolution (let alone one very high resolution that would require dual DVI's).

Anybody know what is used to connect those giant Apple displays? I'm curious.
dual link DVI;)

...and we know that with the type of customer to want one of these things, it would simply be rude not to have dual dvi support, eh? No one buys a Caddy and is miffed because it only comes with leather seats, right? :D

randycat99 said:
...and we know that with the type of customer to want one of these things, it would simply be rude not to have dual dvi support, eh? No one buys a Caddy and is miffed because it only comes with leather seats, right? :D
Well even a X1300 has a single dual link dvi connector now.

radeonic2 said:
Well even a X1300 has a single dual link dvi connector now.

I may not be understanding what you are referring to- what exactly is a single dual link connector? Is that different from a dual dvi setup? ...or is it literally a single connector that somehow channels dual dvi channels? I'm confused.

randycat99 said:
I may not be understanding what you are referring to- what exactly is a single dual link connector? Is that different from a dual dvi setup? ...or is it literally a single connector that somehow channels dual dvi channels? I'm confused.
It has a single dual link DVI connector aslong with a single link dvi connector.

Last edited by a moderator:
randycat99 said:
There is single link DVI connector which can drive up to 2048x2048 and there is a dual link DVI connector which I've seen drive up to 3840x2400. They are both a single connector, ie, the X1300 has one single link connector and one dual link connector so it could drive Apple's or Dell's 30" display along with any standard monitor as a secondary device.

Really, what's the point of arguing? If you prefer CRTs then fine, use CRTs. If you prefer LCDs then use those. Nobody is forcing anyone else to use their prefered technology, we all have a choice (though I do think the choice for CRTs will diminish quickly as fewer will be made). I know arguing can be fun, but this is really getting nowhere :)

To answer the original question: Are LCDs good enough for gaming? Yes, they are. Are they the best choice for gaming? Well, that's totally subjective. My advice is to try before you buy.

There are some outstanding LCDs as far as response times go currently at 1280x recommended resolution.

If that is not enough resolution for you I suggest taking a long hard look at this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824001211

It has 8ms grey to grey and has a recommended 1600x resolution. It is also an eight bit panel(16.7mil colors) and has a 900:1 contrast ratio.

If you have more disposable income and want a yet higher res, this one is 1920x 6ms 1000:1 16.7mc:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824001222

Bronx19 said:
To all the people that said LCD is perfect and "blacks are black", you're mistaken.

All which people? I don't remember anyone saying that in this thread. Maybe you are mistaken?

I don't know about anyone else but my LCD displays blacks perfectly.
I play in a pitch black room.

It looks far better than my CRT.

K.I.L.E.R said:
I don't know about anyone else but my LCD displays blacks perfectly.
I play in a pitch black room.

It looks far better than my CRT.
Ya and pigs fly out of my ass :LOL:
If I wasn't so confident you're a liar I'd find a review of your LCD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back