Latest Windows PC games on PS3 now somehow feasible

I don't exactly see the point :???:
So instead of playing on your monitor,
you play on a display connected to your PS3 connected to a video feed from your PC...?

uh, ok.

I'll just continue to hook my PS3 and my PC up to the same monitor. It works well enough for me.

I don't exactly see the point :???:
you play on a display connected to your PS3 connected to a video feed from your PC...?

uh, ok.

I'll just continue to hook my PS3 and my PC up to the same monitor. It works well enough for me.

LOL, exactly. HDMI is your friend.

Yes, but it is a tad more complex than that in taking input on the PS3 and passing it to the PC, and relaying the video signal back. It gives you the option of playing PC games without needing the PC n the same room on the same display. Seems very pointless to me, but I'm sure some (few) people will like it. I think more importantly, the software is more a cross-platform solution. Playing on PS3 is just one option, but StreamMyGame basically allows Remote Play a la PS3 but on other devices AFAICS.

Good news for me. Im not gonna specify just how I find this useful, but it very much is :D

That PS3 couldnt come soon enough :cry:

Sooo....

The PC runs the game and a program recording the game and stream it to the PS3 and it also recieves the keyboard/mouse input.

The PS3 then displays the streamed video and send mouse/keyboard input data. And then some syncing between video and input data?

Their tutorial video shows Crysis media being streamed at 800*600 at 2mbit/sec. Huh why not just conenct the PC directly to the TV and get far higher image quality and resolution. :???:

Rofl...

I wonder how bad input latency and video latency is.

Sooo....

The PC runs the game and a program recording the game and stream it to the PS3 and it also recieves the keyboard/mouse input.

The PS3 then displays the streamed video and send mouse/keyboard input data. And then some syncing between video and input data?

Their tutorial video shows Crysis media being streamed at 800*600 at 2mbit/sec. Huh why not just conenct the PC directly to the TV and get far higher image quality and resolution. :???:

Rofl...

Not to mention the extra resources that is needed to encode and send the video stream.
Last time I checked with TVersity, it isn't light on the CPU at all.

I don't get this at all really, super limited use. It requires the bandwidth only available on a local network and to have even decent settings I have to pay, very lame. I can run a longer cable and use a wireless keyboard and get a lot better.

It would be really nice to have a VNC client, so you can check-up on the PC while taking a short break from your gaming without the need to walking over to your PC. You know, to check up on the movies you're compressing.

Sooo....

Rofl...

I totally agree!
plus HD TVs nowadays have multiple HDMI anyways
and HDMI cable is pretty cheap... just go to monoprice.com
they even sell HDMI cables and HDMI->DVI that are 50ft long!

not necessarily.

It offers the benefit of accessing all your games on one system just like streaming your media from your PC to the PS3 through DLNA.

But you are using 2 systems to do it with a penalty (bandwidth, image quality, money for nothing!)! If you only use the PC hooked up to the TV then it is 1 system and no penalty. Cant be that bad to have a cable going from PC to TV (even with image loss)!

Last edited by a moderator:
But you are using 2 systems to do it with a penalty (bandwidth, image quality, money for nothing!)! If you only use the PC hooked up to the TV then it is 1 system and no penalty. Cant be that bad to have a cable going from PC to TV (even with image loss)!

Well it is still a first step. It can be improved later on.

Secondly it is much more convenient to have this wirelessly.

The technology would be more useful to me if it works with all Windows applications, instead of just games (I don't have any Windows game), and is also compatible with RemotePlay.

The technology would be more useful to me if it works with all Windows applications, instead of just games (I don't have any Windows game), and is also compatible with RemotePlay.

No remote applications available for Linux on PS3? I would have thought there might be some, which don't focus on gaming.

No remote applications available for Linux on PS3? I would have thought there might be some, which don't focus on gaming.

The value is convenience. Requiring the user to (re)boot PS3 into Linux explicitly for a quick check of my laptop status upstairs is not compelling. Requiring me to leave my PS3 in Linux mode when I go on a trip is also not acceptable (RemotePlay would be unavailable). It needs to be very accessible.

For remote access, since I can access all my home media from my PSP, doing it via RemotePlay makes more sense.

EDIT: RSX is also not accessible in PS3 Linux. So there will be a hit for certain applications.

Back