Latest UK Console Figures

Gerry

Regular
SEE HERE

Tremendous for PS2 - 92,440 (almost 100K units in a week!)
Very good for Xbox - 21,318.
Average for GCube - 10,065.

Looks like this christmas is going to be a huge one for console sales.

Johnny Awesome said:
Poor Teasy. :oops:

when your throwing money out of the window, giving away everything you have to give away, the numbers become meaningless, sure GC sold have as many, but they did not have to lose millions in order to do it.. the Xbox situation is much like that of the Crackhead that lived uptown from me, he sold me a TV for $35, hell yea I bought it, still with no respect for the owner, but when they are going to give it all away, anyone would be on the take.

even while handing them out to the homeless in the soup lines, they are still 2 mill short or GC worldwide, so your right, it wont...

and UK is not europe.

maybe xbox has the lead here, but for the rest of europe ?

unfortunately i only have stats for the UK, like the elspa one...

does anyone have stats for other europeans countries ?

CaptainHowdy said:
even while handing them out to the homeless in the soup lines, they are still 2 mill short or GC worldwide, so your right, it wont...

Looking at past and current trends, M$ will be paying people to get them off their hands. :LOL:

Johnny Awesome said:
But in the long run it won't matter. :)

it will matter, as someday MS will want to get back all the money they spent on the xbox..
and for now the only thing they succeed at is maximizing their losses.

if the online happens not to be the cash cow MS seems to think it will be, what will become the xbox and its successor ??

I'm sure you'd like to believe I'm suprised or at all bothered by those numbers john boy :) Sorry but I'm neither, which is why I didn't bother posting in this thread until now.

Actually that's not true, I am suprised, I'm suprised that XBox only sold 20,000 in the week after this new 4 game deal started ;)

When you sell a console at cost in the first place, then give away 4 of your best games for free (and in your strongest European territory by far, the U.K) I'd expect the console to fly off the shelves. I'd expect XBox to even come close to PS2 here, at least for the first weeks of this deal (like GameCube is doing now in Japan with Res Evil 0.. selling 20 times more then XBox BTW). Because the first week/month is where you get the temporary large sales spike from these sort of deals. Make no mistake after the first week or so the sales will drop back down a bit, maybe not back to normal, but allot closer to normal. But for all that XBox isn't doing great at all, sales only increased by 50% when they added Halo and Splinter Cell to the JSRF and Sega GT bundle. I'd expect the initial sales spike from that sort of deal to be more like 300%+ to be any sort of success.

Looking at past and current trends, M$ will be paying people to get them off their hands.

LOL, your not kidding either :)

Look at the trend so far. Xbox is released at £300 with no free games. 2 months later is drops to £199.99. 5 months later is drops to £159.99 with 2 free games (effectively £109). 2 months after that is drops to £199 with 4 free games (two of which are XBox's best selling game by far in Halo and its newest biggest title since Halo in Splinter Cell), which means its effectively £100 or less. So from £300 to £100 in 9 months... that is the most incredible price dropping I have ever seen!

Who wants to take bets that a few months after Christmas XBox will be available for £150 with 4 of its newest games free (effectively £50)?.. I'm serious BTW

I have no idea what they'll be offering bt late 2003.. XBox for £99 with 4 of its newest games? (sell your games and end up actually making money on owning a XBox). Its possible.

I don't know what to think about this bundle: They loose money on the hardware which they eventually want to make back with software sales. Yet the bundle comes with two free(!) games which almost every XBox would probably buy separately (Halo & Splinter Cell). How are they going to make money on software sales when they're giving away their AAA-titles for free? :-? :-?

Teasy said:
I have no idea what they'll be offering late by 2003.. XBox for £99 with 4 of its newest games? (sell your games and end up actually making money on owning a XBox). Its possible.

If this happens at christmas 2003, and the games start to appeal to me (which is not the case as for now, I'm not into SWAT/guns games and racing games only interest me with the FF racing wheel on the ps2), I may be tempted. It is very hard not to buy a console when it costs almost nothing.

wazoo

Same here. Recently I was extremely tempted to buy a PS2 if I could find one for £100 second hand, until I found out that the Winning Eleven/Pro Evolution Soccer series is no longer going to be exclusive to PS2 (its out for GC the second month of next year). So I'll also be tempted at a £100 XBox if it gets some games I really want, especially if it has 4 free games with it :)

this "give'em all" attitude isn't only a microsoft problem.

i guess the xbox publishers who are not part of these deals must be very happy with MS flooding the market with free AAA titles... :rolleyes:

WOW!!! 4free games!!!! software sales are gonna go down!!!! 3rd parties won't like this... So this is how it's gonna be in the US in about a year and a few months :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:.... When sales begin to go down Ms will bundle 4games and sell for sub-100$... dev.s will get bad sales and jump shift.... It will all end with a BANG!!! ... and when the ruckus over.... what will be of xbox 2????

Teasy said:
wazoo

Same here. Recently I was extremely tempted to buy a PS2 if I could find one for £100 second hand, until I found out that the Winning Eleven/Pro Evolution Soccer series is no longer going to be exclusive to PS2 (its out for GC the second month of next year). So I'll also be tempted at a £100 XBox if it gets some games I really want, especially if it has 4 free games with it :)

The ps2 worth it for ICO alone. The FF wheel, which can be found at very cheap prices, is awesome for racing games. Depend on your tastes.

I'll buy RC this week. reminds me a lot of JFG.

The ps2 worth it for ICO alone.

Yeah probably, if that sort of game is a must have for you. I've heard allot about ICO, its probably great, but I'm not that interested in it myself, not enough to buy a second console anyway. On the other hand I'm a Football fanatic so if I find a game like PES2 (which is a masterpeice IMO) that's the sort of thing that will make me have to have a console, if it had stayed exclusive I would have bought a PS2, no doubt about it.

Funnilly enough ISS 64 (also a masterpeic of a Football game) was what brought me to Nintendo when it was released on N64. Before that I had only ever owned Sega consoles (Master System, Megadrive, Saturn).

Back