Laser light engine will finally hit the markt later this year

Yeah I was waiting for SED before and decided not to get a plasma or LCD.

I am getting tired of waiting for something to overcome their shortcomings though.

I've wanted a Mitsu tv for so long now... Can't wait to see what laser tv looks like compared to plasma and OLED.

Yeah I'm personally looking forward to getting the 73" LaserVue DLP if it's within my budget and performs as advertised. I'd rather have a rear projection 70"+ than a LCD/Plasma 60"+. I have a suspicion that the 73 incher will be around $5K-$6K.

I think one reason that RP is still needed is that there aren't any good flatscreens at 60"+ for a reasonable price. I'm especially disappointed that the current Panny plasmas have no 60" model, because the 50" performs so damn well and doesn't break the bank.

I'm hope these models don't inexplicably reduce image quality like the LED DLPs from Samsung. Early reports are encouraging...

I think one reason that RP is still needed is that there aren't any good flatscreens at 60"+ for a reasonable price. I'm especially disappointed that the current Panny plasmas have no 60" model, because the 50" performs so damn well and doesn't break the bank.

I'm hope these models don't inexplicably reduce image quality like the LED DLPs from Samsung. Early reports are encouraging...

There will be a 58 and 65 Panasonic soon/later this year. The 60inch Pioneer 6020 can be had for around 4k delivered from AVS forum sponsors.

There will be a 58 and 65 Panasonic soon/later this year. The 60inch Pioneer 6020 can be had for around 4k delivered from AVS forum sponsors.
That's decent, and 20 months ago I'd have been all over such a deal, but by today's standards it's quite pricey.

The current Panasonics are only marginally worse than the Kuros, and 50" 1080p is only around $1600. I want to see deep black 60 inchers for under $2.5k. That's when RP will truly die, which is actually a shock to me because I never though flat panel could go that low unless OLED materialized.

With 10lumen tech on Plasma's next year, the prices should drop a lot more and 2.5-3k 60inchers are very likely. Except the flagship models.

With 10lumen tech on Plasma's next year, the prices should drop a lot more and 2.5-3k 60inchers are very likely. Except the flagship models.

Argh! Sometimes technological progression can be such a downer... Guess I'll just have to make more money to afford one of those ;)

We're very interested in the new laser Mits DLPs. The pricing should be interesting to see if they can keep their tradition of being the most cost effective option for big screens of 60" and greater. But low electricity usage; no 180W bulb to burn out; no color wheel to give rainbow effect; much less fan noise without the hot bulb to cool. What's not to like?

We're very interested in the new laser Mits DLPs. The pricing should be interesting to see if they can keep their tradition of being the most cost effective option for big screens of 60" and greater. But low electricity usage; no 180W bulb to burn out; no color wheel to give rainbow effect; much less fan noise without the hot bulb to cool. What's not to like?

Can't hang it on the wall. :(

Otherwise sign me and the missus up!

Having had one of the original 55" 1080i-only CRT RP Mits HDTVs (circa 2001), I tend to think of our current (3.5 years old) 62" Mits DLP as quite svelte! :)

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

What are viewing angles like on these? DLP angles suck.
Compared to CRT RP, the viewing angle and screen uniformity of DLP was a godsend when it first came out.

Anyway, the whole point of RP is to save money over flat panel, so imperfect viewing angle is an acceptable compromise. Put the TV in the corner and it's almost impossible for viewing angle to be a problem.

BTW anyone heard that canon is out of SED never never land now? The suit is dropped so production can start, but it likely won't now b/c of economic crap :(

Yeah I read that news too. How is SED ? Is it really good ? From what I gather SED is is behind in PQ because of the suit. Is it really better compare to Plasma and Laser ?

The Laser at least made it out the door and from some reviews, it rivals Kuro. So for big screen Laser tech seems to be the way to go in term of cost if front projection is not viable for the room. It's 7k at the moment, but that is quite less compare to other tech on their debut. And I think Laser will drop in price as more companies adopt it.

So it cost $7000 for 65" with 73" version coming in a few months. Anyone have any first hand impression ? How does it compare to the current or next gen 60" Kuro ?

Also is image retention and burn in a problem with this tech ?
DLP has no image retention problem. In fact, at any given instant, each pixel is either black or fully red, green, or blue, so there's no chance of the picture changing aside from the laser (which only happens after tens of thousands of hours).

As for the quality, reviews so far have painted LaserVue in pretty favourable light. Black levels, while excellent, are not quite on par with the Kuro, but the colours are supposed to be unprecedented for any display.

Can OLED go big (65"+) and cheap to produce ? I thought OLED is similar to LCD in term of how troublesome it is to make at big screen sizes.
Well, that's what I meant by "materialize". Theoretically the cost floor is quite low, just like RP has a theoretical cost of a plastic shell, a light source, and some small electronics.

My god only 135Watts? That is phenomenal and means no more loud cooling fans! This is going to bode very well for front projection home theater units making them extremely quiet.

Now instead of using that front projector only on weekends you can use it every day as a regular tv without having to worry about adding excessive usage hours to that expensive bulb.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back