Larrabee at Siggraph

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by nAo, Jun 2, 2008.

1. nAo

nAo Nutella Nutellae
    Veteran

Intel will present a paper about Larrabee at Siggraph this summer:

Larrabee: A Many-Core x86 Architecture for Visual Computing

I'm sure this post will put a smile on Geo's face :)

2. 3dilettante

Legend Alpha

I hope there are some nifty disclosures on just how much is under that umbrella.

3. ShaidarHaran

ShaidarHaran hardware monkey
    Veteran

Nice find, nAo.

Definitely looking forward to opening that can of worms.

DK over @ RWT has a discussion thread on the subject (credit nAo again).

speaking of can of worms.... interesting supposition by Doug Siebert (long-time RWT poster):

4. nAo

nAo Nutella Nutellae
    Veteran

From the abstract it seems this talk/paper is more software oriented than hardware oriented. I wouldn't be surprised if we won't learn any new technical detail about Larrabee's hardware architecture.
    On the other hand I can't wait to know also more about its software architecture to get a glimpse of how Intel will likely expose the hardware to software engineers. (I'm not exactly a CUDA fanboy)

Regarding fixed function units we are going to see some TMUs and probably not much more than that. Adieu rasterizer..

5. ShaidarHaran

Veteran

Even if they don't give us anymore details on Larrabee's micro-architecture, I'm sure they'll at least provide relevant instruction throughput numbers. Rather useful in your line of work, I'd think ;)

6. 3dilettante

Legend Alpha

Even knowing the outlines of how TMU functionality is accessed by the x86 threads will be informative, unless the paper turns out to be entirely made of fluff.

7. Mat3

Newcomer

There'll be some scalar processors in there too of course, but it's interesting that they will be depending on a wide vector unit to do a lot of the work.

8. ShaidarHaran

Veteran

Isn't it more likely that the "ALUs" will simply support both vector and scalar instructions?

9. 3dilettante

Legend Alpha

The scalar units exist alongside a wide SIMD unit in each core.
    Larrabee's descriptions don't hint at any scalar-only cores.

10. nAo

nAo Nutella Nutellae
    Veteran

11. darkblu

Veteran

12. ^M^

^M^
    Newcomer

13. nAo

nAo Nutella Nutellae
    Veteran

Ouch, they also have a DX9 implementation, I wasn't aware of that :)
    I wonder if Abrash&Co. had the opportunity to ask for specific hardware optimizations that would speed up software rasterization.

14. ShaidarHaran

Veteran

Would the new Radix 16 Divider and Super Shuffle Engine in Penryn family CPUs qualify?

15. 3dilettante

Legend Alpha

Division is helped by the Radix 16 divider and variable-latency divides, though how does that look specific to graphics?

Super-shuffle isn't much of a graphics-only optimization as it's bringing Intel's shuffle latencies within the same range or better than what AMD's had for years.
    Conroe had pretty long latencies. Netburst's latencies were pretty brutal.

There was that instruction for blending, which might seem closer to a graphics optimization.

16. Humus

Humus Crazy coder
    Veteran

Well, nothing can be said to be graphics specific since it's useful for other purposes as well, but there are a few candidates for where graphics might have been one of the main motivators. Super-shuffle would count into that, the blending instructions, and most certainly the DPPS instruction, which can implement DOT2/DOT3/DOT4 stuff. The fast divider is a bit too generic to say it's graphics related, although it'll help for a number of important tasks.

The dot product instruction is particularly interesting to note, especially given that Intel never really seemed to show much interest for graphics in previous SSE instruction sets.

17. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

Damnit, I'm going to have to buy a Larrabee viddy card. . . .just because. A) To show what an iconoclast I am. B). As a collectors item of when Intel began their conquest of gpus C). As a collectors item of Intel's Folly in thinking they could conquer gpus. D). Because I enjoy bitching about IHV's not providing robust software support and compatibility, and this is almost certain to be "a target rich environment" with Larrabee.

Or some combination of the above.

:razz::cool::wink:

Has anybody heard a productization name rumour yet? "Bitchin' Fast 3D" or somesuch?

Oh yes, and y'all feel free to leak that paper to me/B3D in advance. :) I understand Dougie sees B3D ninjas behind every potted plant. :razz:

18. Andrew Lauritzen

Moderator Veteran

Ahahaha... ahh man Geo, you're too harsh ;)

19. nAo

nAo Nutella Nutellae
    Veteran

Too bad we have to wait another month to read that paper..:-(

20. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

Man, anytime Intel wants to step up to our interivew, it's been out there for them to do so.:lol:

The god's honest truth is I want them to succeed because I love high-end graphics and the more serious deep-pocket players there are the happier I am.

And I've been saying for over a year now that the vibes are Intel is genuinely alarmed this time and that means they won't take one swing and give up. My only point is they need to be psychologically prepared to get their nose bloodied in round one, because they probably will, and it will likely be on the software side no matter how sweet their hardware is on the theoreticals.