Kong is King!

Sindre

Regular
!!NO SPOILERS!!

Wow. Just came home from the world premier (now a quarter to 4 in the morning here) of King Kong. This movie was way better than I expected, and my hopes were quite high in the first place:) Peter Jackson really nailed this one (too:p) in my opinion.
And talk about variety:D
Ah, too tired to go on right now.

Anyone else?

Sindre

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't been to excited about this one, but all the recent excitement and good press makes me want to see it! Now if I wasn't working 61 hours next week maybe I could... :rolleyes:

Are Kong's tits the only ones we'll see in the movie?

PS. I read that we only see Kong after about 70 minutes into the movie. Hmm, not sure if I'll be bored for the first 70 minutes then! Will see it with the family this coming weekend.

I wanted to watch it yesterday night, but it's too late when we got there. It's a long movie and my colleague doesn't want to miss his bus on the way home.

I thought it was a very good movie. Yes I knew how it was going to play out, but I still enjoyed it. That era is probably my favorite in time. I like the clothes, the dialog, and the women look amazing to me. I dont like walking down the street and seeing 85% flesh, but thats just me. Ms. Watts was a classic beauty in the movie, without showing anything but her face, and neckline.

The length didnt both me at all. It was 2 hours in before I even thought about the time, and actually checked my watch. Great movie, will buy when it comes out to DVD, HD-DVD, Blue-Ray.. whatever they are pushed out the door.

I won't go see the movie, since the story itself never seemed anywhere near being interesting to me. A giant ape climbing a skyscrapper. Hot on a tiny human girl. What a great idea :rolleyes:

IMHO, of course :)

Haven't seen the movie yet, but from the trailers, the fight with the T-Rex's seems so over the top it becomes very clear we're looking at CGI just for the sake of using CGI with big monsters killing each other.
Why is it that these days, directors just can't help using CGI when it really is not necessary?! It just looks like a videogame at times.

Then again, i repeat i haven't seen the movie, so my opinion might change.

Having seen the X3 trailer, i can already say that CGI in that movie looks real, not because it might be "more advanced" but because it's less in-your-face.

That whole Kong vs T-Rex thing is just over the top and although it's logical and obvious that it can't look "realistic" (who ever saw a huge ape fighting T-Rex's...?), there are various levels of over-the-top-ness and that just looks like it's too much. CGI action scenes to make the kids happy i say. Like in most modern movies really.

Just come back from the movie theater :)
The dinosaurs and King Kong look very realistic, probably the best dinosaurs I've ever seen. Actually, the most "CGI-looking" thing in the movie is probably the empire state building.
And about the Kong fighting dinosaurs... come on, people want to see King Kong fighting dinosaurs, right? ;)

pcchen said:
Just come back from the movie theater :)
The dinosaurs and King Kong look very realistic, probably the best dinosaurs I've ever seen. Actually, the most "CGI-looking" thing in the movie is probably the empire state building.
And about the Kong fighting dinosaurs... come on, people want to see King Kong fighting dinosaurs, right? ;)

I want to see Mr and Mrs Smith 2 where Brad kills Vanselina and runs off with Mr Baker (played by Colin Farrell). 5 mins introduction to kill her off and the remaining 85 minutes of hot steamy sex between Brad and Colin.

Does that make it good to everyone?

Ok i'm talking nonsense. Forgive me i flew in from Rome last night and i haven't slept much.

digitalwanderer said:
I just want to see Jack Black's performance, no one does an obsessed crazy person the way he does. :)
Except for Jack Nicholson.

Truthfully, his performance was Jack Black, as usual. He honestly didn't do the movie any favors.

london-boy said:
I want to see Mr and Mrs Smith 2 where Brad kills Vanselina and runs off with Mr Baker (played by Colin Farrell). 5 mins introduction to kill her off and the remaining 85 minutes of hot steamy sex between Brad and Colin.

"Mr and Mr Smith", then? ;)

Although I'd prefer 85 minutes of hot steamy sex with Angie, of course...

london-boy said:
Haven't seen the movie yet, but from the trailers, the fight with the T-Rex's seems so over the top it becomes very clear we're looking at CGI just for the sake of using CGI with big monsters killing each other.
Why is it that these days, directors just can't help using CGI when it really is not necessary?! It just looks like a videogame at times.

Then again, i repeat i haven't seen the movie, so my opinion might change.

Having seen the X3 trailer, i can already say that CGI in that movie looks real, not because it might be "more advanced" but because it's less in-your-face.

That whole Kong vs T-Rex thing is just over the top and although it's logical and obvious that it can't look "realistic" (who ever saw a huge ape fighting T-Rex's...?), there are various levels of over-the-top-ness and that just looks like it's too much. CGI action scenes to make the kids happy i say. Like in most modern movies really.

I totally understand where you're coming from, but I must admit that IMO those fighting scenes were really entertaining and thrilling, and not in a funny/dumb way;-) Actually I thought the CGI was very good, better than I expected, even from WETA:)
I'm not saying it's for every one's liking, but I think this movie has so much pumping action one really has to smile and say "woah".

And fallguy, I agree the setting in the 30s is great!:D

I gotta go see this movie! Especially after the Frighteners and the LOTR series...I have become a great PJ fan. I kept telling all my friends this movie would be a hit but they wouldnt listen. Well proved them wrong! Anyway I hope this comes out in IMAX...Konglike screen for a Kong movie!

I saw the movie last night.

King Kong was pulled off very well. Very life like, well animated, great emotional range.

There is about 45 minuets of footage that was totally unnecessary in the first 1/3 of the movie.

The natives on the island just rocked and were down right creepy.

One of the dinosaur set pieces was simply way to fake. The Brontos's Charge scene was simply done very badly. There comes a point when you simply need to have some models and other tricks in there to get the best effect. CGI is just not up to snuff yet for some of this.

Some of the movement animations on the people scattered throughout the movie were just plain amateurish at times. How hard could it be to get a decent animator from Valve or any decent game studio to create life like body movements?

The scene with Kong-on-ice Was just cheesy and I felt like I was watching a coke commercial.

The "bug" set piece was one of the most terrifying things i have ever seen on the screen. I actually curled my feet up, tensing about every muscle and closed one eye. That's never happened before.

The whole 1930's New York was pulled off brilliantly. It was almost all CGI but looked warm (even in winter) and inviting.

Oh, and It was not "Beauty killed the beast" you jerk. It was You. Who for greed took the beast from his home, abused him for money, and got him killed.

Overall, a Great Movie. Now Jackson needs to make us a decent big Budget American Godzilla Flick.

Back