Konami of America Sales

Vince

Veteran
konami_sales.gif

I thought this was revealing, especially after people get into a frame of mind that others must be "morons" or other similar things for buying the PS2.

Thanks to Gahiggidy of the GA forum.

Interesting... hopefully that 100k on SH2:RD will mean an Xbox port of SH3, but I'm not betting any money on it ;)

And Konami sure likes to whore out their ESPN license... kind of funny that Frogger beat them all combined ;P

hopefully that 100k on SH2:RD will mean an Xbox port of SH3
You don't want to know the comparison of PS2 vs Xbox sales of this game in Japan... It may depend on how well it goes in Europe (Xbox version was just recently released with lots of advertising) If that goes bad, I don't think they will bother anymore.

I don´t think Konami will bother with a SH3 port. The NA sales are somewhat decent, but for such a big budget game, the worldwide sales of SH2 are just too low for a port of the sequel to be considered.

I know, wishful thinking though! Then again, heh, it wouldn't be fun to get a MGS2:S-esque port either.

Good thing I have both systems :D

edit: in all fairness to the GC and Xbox, Konami's still yet to commit to any real exclusives to either system. Until they build a game or two ground up for either system, I think its unfair to gauge their performance on ports alone.

Capcom's only given Xbox the (very) niche Steel Battalion, and GC the entire Resident Evil series. Namco hasn't really given XB or GC any true exclusives either, but I expect this Tri-Force thing will change that.

It seems out of all the major Japanese publishers, Sega has the most balanced split between the three systems (in terms of true exclusives). Their output hasn't been 'great', but hopefully it'll shape up in the next year or so.

Sorry, got OT!

Logan Leonhart said:
I guess this provides the reason Konami keeps supporting PS2 so much. That´s cool, since their games are of excellent quality.

Uhm, its Konamis support for PS2 that got the sales, I mean, if all they put out for GC is Disney Soccer, what the hell do they expect?
and MGS2 Substance just came out, I have a feeling it plus Splinter Cell will make for some people buying an Xbox. MGS2 is one of the major reasons most people got PS2

Very true. At first glance the statistics are interesting, but then you realize that timing is everything. I consider it pretty good that Silent Hill 2 sold 1/4 the copies on Xbox that it did on PS2 considering the 6:1 userbase advantage the PS2 had when it was released (2nd) on Xbox.

Whether or not Konami supports the Xbox will all depend on sales of MGS2:S and Xbox holiday sales. Nothing more.

Logan-

I don´t think Konami will bother with a SH3 port. The NA sales are somewhat decent, but for such a big budget game, the worldwide sales of SH2 are just too low for a port of the sequel to be considered.

100K units is roughly $3Million in the publishers pocket(taking out retailers cut and licensing fees), I think that will cover any port costs with ease(well, for any company outside of Square anyway ;) ).

BenSkywalker said:
Logan-

100K units is roughly $3Million in the publishers pocket(taking out retailers cut and licensing fees), I think that will cover any port costs with ease(well, for any company outside of Square anyway ;) ).

not to mention it was a port of an old niche title.
a fresh entry to the series coming on time would be certain to
see better sales.

I think that will cover any port costs with ease
Maybe, but just the fact that they re-issued SH2:Restless Dreams on PS2 in Japan (and now in the US through the Greatest Hits edition) shows how much unsatisfied they were with the sales...

Anyways, it's pretty clear they are witholding SH3 for Xbox, at least untill the results of the sales of MGS2:S (and SH2:RD in Europe) clears in.

zurich said:
Kind of irritating that Konami's faith in the xbox rests on their own sloppy port job of MGS2. :-?

well, the worst part, they are comparing MGS2's sales from its release to MGS:S's, how long has it been out? like a week or two?

of course, its better than thier cube offerings. Konami does it to themselves by what they are bringing to the table, they are as bad as Sega.

Back