KONAMCO

Lazy8s

Veteran
The major Japanese publishers have been talking consolidation amongst themselves for over a year now. At first I thought a Square-Namco union would be the first move, but it seems Square managed to gain the favor of Enix and of course jumped at that instead.

Well, it looks like talk of a Square-Enix merger has finally prompted Konami to make its move on Namco. A new Konami-Namco union into a "KoNAMco" of sorts should be formed in partial reaction to this.

The resultant merged entities from Enix/Square and from Konami/Namco would then be two, decently strong Japanese publishers. Between these two new companies, they will hold a sizable percentage of the market. I can see them fairing well against and also complementing each other pretty well. Sometime down the road, in the future, I wouldn't be too surprised to see the two allying and then perhaps merging all together into one company eventually.

It would make a lot of sense. Namco has fighting and racing, and Konami has action/adventure. Both companies have RPGs. Both have strong relationships with Sony.

I could also see Nintendo acquiring Capcom and Microsoft acquiring Sega. Pure speculation of course.

Johnny Awesome said:
It would make a lot of sense. Namco has fighting and racing, and Konami has action/adventure. Both companies have RPGs. Both have strong relationships with Sony.

Um, actually, other than being ungrounded speculation, probobly based in the wild speculation on this topic happening at GA Forums, I see no point or validity at all.

Archie - wasn't it him that just stated that Square, Enix, and Namco are very close and he wouldn't be surprised to see Namco join up eventually? If this type of developer relationship exists, why would they break it and merger (or bought out) with Konami?

I could also see Nintendo acquiring Capcom and Microsoft acquiring Sega.

I can't. ;)

Justin gave you the world first impressions of DOAXVB and Zelda.
He cant be that bad? :cry:

Archie - wasn't it him that just stated that Square, Enix, and Namco are very close and he wouldn't be surprised to see Namco join up eventually? If this type of developer relationship exists, why would they break it and merger (or bought out) with Konami?

Indeed, Square/Enix owns a 10% stake in Namco, and Square has long had very close relations with Namco (e.g. working with Namco owned studio Dreamfactory, and starting up Monolith (Xenosaga, not the game engine))...

Johnny Awesome said:
I could also see Nintendo acquiring Capcom and Microsoft acquiring Sega. Pure speculation of course.

MS won't be purchasing Sega, I know that as a fact.

Back