Knack 2 [PS4]

Never played the first one as it looked pretty boring to be honest. But Knack 2 actually looks quite good. Looks like R&C sort of mechanics/platforming mixed with God of War's combat.

Never played the first one as it looked pretty boring to be honest. But Knack 2 actually looks quite good. Looks like R&C sort of mechanics/platforming mixed with God of War's combat.

You just described Knack 1. I like that game although my crappy kid destroys all my combo counters....

It looks like they took the criticism very seriously but avoided the classic mistake of catering to naysayers (which can lead to losing the fans of the original). I think most of the changes/improvements are welcome whether you liked the first game or not.

So far what was shown has been well received all over the place (ignoring the usual click bait drama queens). Time for some metacritic predictions?

It looks like they took the criticism very seriously but avoided the classic mistake of catering to naysayers (which can lead to losing the fans of the original). I think most of the changes/improvements are welcome whether you liked the first game or not.

So far what was shown has been well received all over the place (ignoring the usual click bait drama queens). Time for some metacritic predictions?
~7.5, which is pretty solid. First game has a 54 at metacritic.

I pre-ordered from Amazon for $36 I think. My son loved the first and I'm looking forward to the co-op.

I didnt like the first one much. I bought just for the sake of my gaming collection and curiosity.
I finished it on the hardest setting but the gameplay was repetitive and uninteresting. It is the perfect title for kids though.
But it was super mediocre.
This one looks improved but it didnt pick my interest yet.
I might be better off playing Crash Bandicoot's trilogy even on PS1

I played it release day co-op with my son while we waited for the D2 timer. Seems good so far. Combat is more in depth and the mechanics are more fleshed out with good platforming. There are skill unlocks now via skill points of something.

I platinumed it last week. It's a completely different game compared to the first. Very Hard is not hard enough once you get going with the new moves and the blocking. Normal and Easy seems to be there for kids, or for game reviewers. Hard is the new Easy, comparatively.

Large number of moves with multiple kick/punch, slow strong, fast weak, combos, high, low, range, grab, block, stun, counters, shield breakers, AoE, even projectiles. So it's difficult to learn but easy to master. The polar opposite of the first game. Timed health recharge and checkpoint every 2 seconds, makes it easy and forgiving. It's what critics asked for, so congratulations I guess.

There is a ton of great platforming this time, making it more like crash. The platforming changes based on difficulty level, even different/additional paths with more dificult platforming on hard or very hard. They nailed the pacing, much better platforming than ratchet at least. I hope more games do this.

On the negative, story and dialogs are horrible, making it more like god of war. Knack1 was written for kids, but written correctly, it had a good structure. Some gamers were turned off by the more japanese sensitivities and the fact it was targeting kids, but that's personal tastes. This one feels like they put all efforts making fun and varied levels, then put some story around it just because they had to. Dialogs in game mostly suck because they are generic liners.

The music is amazing. Whoever decided to use The Sweet for the trailer should be fired. WTF.

Large number of moves with multiple kick/punch, slow strong, fast weak, combos, high, low, range, grab, block, stun, counters, shield breakers, AoE, even projectiles. So it's difficult to learn but easy to master. The polar opposite of the first game.

Man, those are to me the traditional mark of uninspired game design.

Man, those are to me the traditional mark of uninspired game design.
Not at all. The moves are learned progressively or unlocked, and they have purpose depending on each mob type. It's surprisingly well balanced. It makes combat much more fun.

Mark Cerny still don't have the platinum, he's missing the most difficult speed run trophy. :nope:

Unacceptable, unless he's busy on something more important.

Edit: well he got it now.

Last edited:
Back