Kingdom Come: Deliverance. Kickstarted, from a Czech studio [PS4,XO]

Cyan

orange
Legend
Supporter
This game is an open world game developed by a small studio from the Czech Republic, located in Europe. Massive battles and a story focused on presenting a medieval story in a realistic manner, so don't expect magic or stuff like that, the focus is on realism, so it'd be curious to know how the story develops.

The game was crowdfunded on kickstarter and it is going to release on PS4, XOne and computers.

untitled_339_by_dennisk4-d738cnv.gif

looks like a perfect fit for VR
I just like how in the gif the guy looks at the other who has fallen in the ground, as if saying, wtf? Will this happen to me too? and forgets about holding his sword properly and both swords clash with each other in a peculiar but realistic manner.

global announcement (which is going to take place June 9th 2017) trailer is out. Wow. :oops::oops:

:oops::oops:From 1:10 on this is one of the most well made things I've seen yet.

This one gonna be all about the combat. They need a way to make it different and authentic, IMO, which in reality is pretty boring. Medieval warfare was battles of attrition, exhausting you opponent over time until they made a mistake and were vulnerable (for armoured knights, anyway). Also how do you factor in the many different ways of using a weapon including improvised?

Could this be the sleeper hit of the year? I liked that you can decide whether you want to pardon an enemy if that ennobles your heart and the fact that they also tried to showcase the little big details, like the monastic life and so on.

The grounding in reality makes this sounds the most boring open world RPG ever, noting Shifty's comments on the realities of medieval combat, but I'm really interested in this. I've been following PlayStation Access's coverage and this scratches an itch for something between Skyrim and medieval Columbo. I'll wait for the first reviews but I think this could be really quite immersive.

I'm buying this when it's released. I'm really curious about it. I'm not really much of a fantasy fan, but history is interesting to me and this is a pretty unique approach for an open world RPG.

Watching a stream of this right now, and I have to say, some of the cutscene dialog is fantastic, maybe the best I've ever seen. Especially the politically oriented ones where some of the NPCs have to walk a tightrope with words.

[edit] Also the game looks absolutely amazing when it is raining or with overcast skies. I think maybe the best I've seen in those conditions. At least on PC, not sure how well it'll translate to console.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Not sure about this one, the engine seems a bit dated with the rendering of human faces and vegetation, feels very indie like. Didn't know this is based on true story tho, might have to read up a bit on history before proceed.

I tried it at Gamescom last August and did not really walk away impressed.. Also thought engine looks outdated. However, if it would come in VR I could give it a go. Non shooter first person games always look very weird on a flat screen. Unlike a gun, which is point and shoot, using a sword and bow in first person on "flat gaming" is not very enjoyable for me. Having a mouse movement and/or buttons translating to a sword movement is just awkward. That is why I passed on Skyrim until VR version came.

Last edited:
I played a bit of it yesterday until I reached the point where the massive patch hadn't caught up with me, and I thought it was fairly enjoyable. Loving all the many systems which are in play here. You need food, you need to visit a healer if you're gravely wounded, your appearance and your social standing actually matter, you can talk your way out of situations (and you can influence these situations further if you are clever: luring one guard away from the other makes the remaining one more succeptible to intimidation for example), you can spare enemies, and you can solve quests in a variety of ways. It's not the most handsome kid on the playground (neither is Mass Effect Andromeda despite a comparably gargantuan budget though. Unlike ME and Fallout 4, KC well written, though), but if everyhing works as intended, it's gonna make up for these shortcomings with ease. It's a proper role playing game.

Thanks to Voxel GI the lighting of the PC version is one of the best in the gaming industry. However, this does not work with other light sources such as torches etc. but only global ones.

Last edited:
Lighting doesn't look as consistently good, the forest part looks pretty nice but the town looks average or flat. Something is off.

It's more accurate and some do not seem to like that. It also has SSDO which is also better than SSAO which most games still using on the consoles today.

It's not the engine which limits but rather the budget, artwork, etc. Voxel GI is technically better than what almost all games have to offer. With other engines like Unreal Engine 4 the lighting would have looked worse. I'm glad that next to Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem another game with Voxel GI is coming because other engines don't get it somehow.

-

Next patch in two weeks:

Last edited:
It's more accurate and some do not seem to like that. It also has SSDO which is also better than SSAO which most games still using on the consoles today.

It's not the engine which limits but rather the budget, artwork, etc. Voxel GI is technically better than what almost all games have to offer. With other engines like Unreal Engine 4 the lighting would have looked worse. I'm glad that next to Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem another game with Voxel GI is coming because other engines don't get it somehow.

-

Next patch in two weeks:
wow, that's impressive. The difference looks strikingly similar to going from a typical LCD panel -even if it's a high quality one- to a decent IPS panel, it's night and day. I am currently writing this on a IPS screen, but the rest of my displays are your regular LCD displays, the difference can be staggering, specially when it comes to colour accuracy and the deepness of the image, so to speak. Somehow like in that video. The game can be pre-ordered at AoG. But I am going to wait for a sale on GoG or something because I rarely buy games at full price nowadays, given my punished economy.

Back