Kinect technology thread

some of the more subtle movements of the human body, such as wrist movement.
Hum not a surprise if they were to tracking tht kind of movement they would also track hands more precisely possibly fingers. So still FUD... At this rate we will have new about playing guitar not possible on Kinect all over again. Issues about the sitting position will be raise every time one site want some extra clicks, etc.

Maybe maybe not for one seeing how looks the skeletal representation Kinect creates from the camera capture I wonder how it would be possible. I mean last time we saw there were three points from the elbow to the hand (say elbow, wrist, hand) how could you spot rotation when they are aligned? And even with not aligned I'm not sure the precision (pretty much the opposite actually) of the capture would be good enough to be considered as a reliable input for a game.
To bad the presentations on Natal are not available on ms gamefest site. It's still unclear to which extend the libraries Ms made available allow for shapes recognition based on 2D data (and if yes at which cost) for example. We know actually few about what Kinect can or cannot do? We know the resolution on the Z axis and that pretty much all.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is not accurate as the bowling game uses your wrist movement to determine how you bowl.
We know Kinect doesn't track hand orientation as the system can only track joint positions, so I'm wondering where you heard the bowling game uses wrist movement? eg. Point your arm straight towards the screen, hand flat, palm down. Now rotate your arm so the palm points face up. Kinect has no mechanic for tracking this motion, seeing only the extended arm position. Now if the hand is flexed back there should be enough area to get another point. I can't find any videos that shows the skeleton tracking to see if the hand is being watched. If so, that'll give some rotation information.

We know Kinect doesn't track hand orientation as the system can only track joint positions, so I'm wondering where you heard the bowling game uses wrist movement? eg. Point your arm straight towards the screen, hand flat, palm down. Now rotate your arm so the palm points face up. Kinect has no mechanic for tracking this motion, seeing only the extended arm position. Now if the hand is flexed back there should be enough area to get another point. I can't find any videos that shows the skeleton tracking to see if the hand is being watched. If so, that'll give some rotation information.

Well like I said, there's a video on the Giant Bomb site showing Jeff trying the bowling game and talking about the wrist issue specifically (and showing how to do an effect ball). It doesn't seem to prevent people from enjoying it though.

I'm sure if a game company can come up with some kind of novel way of using Kinect with a one-handed controller, then they can go to Microsoft & try to sell the idea to them. If Microsoft likes it, then I'm sure they would license the controller tech to them. However, I think it would have to be novel on the same level of Guitar Hero in order for Microsoft to approve the 2nd controller though. Microsoft are probably going to be very anal about what kind of experiences will be allowed on Kinect.

Tommy McClain

Exactly, one thing I noticed Matrick drop in a GT interview, casually enough, was something about them stressing Kinect as a "controller free experience".

I remember initially there was talk about "scanning in" objects to use in games via Natal. All that has dropped by the wayside now, and I'm sure it's for purity of message. Perhaps though I think it might be brought back at some point after release if Natal is a hit. But for now I think they very strictly want to stick to the "controller free" mantra.

$150 to make?

seems unlikely..

From MS's website said:
Kinect sensor. Kinect combines an RGB camera, depth sensor and multiarray microphone running proprietary software that brings Kinect experiences to every Xbox 360 console.1 The Kinect sensor tracks full-body movement and individual voices, turning you into the controller for social entertainment available only on Xbox 360.

1. RGB camera. Kinect has a video camera that delivers the three basic color components. As part of the Kinect sensor, the RGB camera helps enable facial recognition and more.
2. Depth sensor. An infrared projector combined with a monochrome CMOS sensor allows Kinect to see the room in 3-D (as opposed to inferring the room from a 2-D image) under any lighting conditions.
3. Multiarray microphone. Kinect has a microphone that will be able to locate voices by sound and extract ambient noise. The multiarray microphone will enable headset-free Xbox LIVE party chat and more.

RGB - cost $10. Looked online for various prices.
Microphone - probably $10 at most.
Motor and housing - probably $10 at most.

The thing I can't seem to find prices are of the infrared projecter and monochrome cmos detector.

seems unlikely..

The thing I can't seem to find prices are of the infrared projecter and monochrome cmos detector.

The article mentions that $150 is not just for the BOM, but also the R&D costs. Remember they bought 3DV Systems & licensed the tech from 3DV Systems. If the rumor is legit, then it definitely explains why Microsoft is treating this like a new system launch.

Tommy McClain

If every time our company bought a new one we jacked up a $30 product to $150 due to recovering purchases ... :LOL: Resolution, refresh rate, and processing power do seem to be things we will need to wait until next gen to get a solution that is more robust. Kinect should do all the dance, gesture, and gross movement apps just fine though.

seems unlikely..

The "Projector" is a IR laser diode and I'm guessing some sort of diffraction grating, from what I've gleaned from PrimeSense's stuff.

A 420 line IR security camera...
They don't need an IR specific camera as all CCD pick up IR, and have a filter to remove it. There's a YouTube been posted before showing how to remove the PSEye's IR filter and add optical filter (used photographic film) to enable Wii or head tracking with mounted IR LEDs. so the actually Kinect camera gubbins are probably two identical cameras, once with an IR filter for the optical feed, the other with a visible light filter for the IR detection, and then you'll have the IR projection, whatever that is. The move away from TOF depth detection has meant a very cheap BOM, but of course costs to produce a marketable product and sell it are never as low as what it costs to buy the bits and put them together!

So it maxes out at 30fps too, gosh. Microsoft still skimping as hard as they can.

AND it's only VGA now, before it was 1.3 MP and the mic doesn't track multiple voices and all the onboard processing hardware has been removed.

How can it possibly cost 150 to make? Usually manufacturing costs don't include R&D costs

The components don't cost that much, so what, are they getting Swiss watchmakers to put it together.

Is MS maybe bagging Kinect, tossing it out, allowing devs to play with it, knowing their new console in 2012 will have a better camera?

Is MS maybe bagging Kinect, tossing it out, allowing devs to play with it, knowing their new console in 2012 will have a better camera?

That's what I was wondering too, but then you have statements like these:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=252703

The Xbox 360 - with its new sleek look and Kinect companion - will be around for at least another five years, according to Microsoft's European executive, Chris Lewis.

Which begs the question, what's going to happen when Kinect 2 lands (if it comes out at Xbox 3's launch) will devs still support the current Kinect or move to 2 or what.

Back