Kinect Fitness Showdown: Your Shape v. Biggest Loser v. EA Sports Active 2

Acert93

Artist formerly known as Acert93
Legend
This thread is a comparison / feedback thread on the 3 major fitness titles released for Kinect. I will try to update the OP with workout list and descriptions of each game soon.

Please give your feedback, or links to quality reviews comparing products, about these titles.

Your Shape.
Metacritic: 73
Exercise List (link to come)
Customized workouts: No

Biggest Loser.
Metacritic: 75
Customized workouts: Yes

EA Sports Active 2.
Metacritic:
Customized workouts: Yes

EA Sports Active 2 vs. Your Shape post @ Xbox.com
http://forums.xbox.com/35094261/ShowPost.aspx

I'm very interested in this outcome. I haven't decided yet.

Neither have we. We are looking for more games that are fitness oriented (boxing, tennis, winter games, etc), but alas they aren't out yet. There are not a lot of reviews out yet for Biggest Loser and EA Sport Active 2.

Thanks Joshua.

I was thinking of starting a thread with the same thing that you've done here.

I tried the Your Shape demo in Kinect Adventures and enjoyed the smash block min-game. I wished they had demo for Biggest Loser and Active 2 sans heart rate monitor.

As part of our organized sessions, I currently run 3 times a week with a pretty good core and upper body workouts. I'm looking for something that is a total body workout to supplement our mandatory PT. I'm not into any of the aerobics/dancing titles, although the wife may like some of that kind of activity.

Don't thank me yet! I have barely researched the games. We are just curious and hoping to pick up a fun fitness game. My hope is one of these qualifies.

I think I've narrowed it down to Active 2 and Your Shape.

Biggest Loser just sounds so negative to me as I remember making a kid cry when I was in elementary because I called him a "loser".

I have the EA Sports Active 2, but sadly I haven't had the time to test it out yet... I'll try to get some sweat going tomorrow after work and before Sauna :)

On saturday I tried your shape and only did the evaluation portion. I still have pain walking down the stairs because of the damn squats.

You should hear the horrible things he says to me over Live :(

Years and years and years of therapy has made me a better man:devilish:

Dr. Evil, I'd be curious to hear your impressions of Active 2. From what I've read online, it appears that it seems to have the most problems with the exercises that require you to be on the floor.

I've seen lots of positives impressions of Your Shape.

I can't believe Your Shape has a lower metacritic score than Biggest Loser. I wonder if this is due to Biggest Loser being a more "fun" fitness game where I've read some impressions and reviews how Your Shape is very strict thus maybe making it less fun?

I planned to pick up Your Shape for the Thai Chi and boxing, plus the tech seemed impressive. I'll hold off to see how the three compare in the end before buying one though.

Sounds like a port issue.
...the problem now seems obvious enough...: rather than create three bespoke fitness games, the team has created a single core experience that is tailored to fit each platform.

That process may have worked on Wii and PS3. Not here. Take menu navigation. It turns out that a game designed for use with controllers – amazingly – doesn't work very well with hand gestures.
At other times the game brings up the pause menu – and I'm presuming this is what's happening – because Kinect thinks my arm is making the pause gesture, even though the game is TELLING ME TO HOLD IT LIKE THAT
You'd have thought testing would have caught this sort of thing. Anyone else have similar experiences?

I posted this in the Kinect games thread...

AzBat said:
BTW, if you're interested in Your Shape Fitness, then I think you might want to look at Biggest Loser Ultimate Workout as well. There's two guys on GAF that have written some extensive feedback on The Biggest Loser and even comparing it with Your Shape Fitness...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=24260131&postcount=4158

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=24269186&postcount=4275

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=24287524&postcount=4502

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=24333052&postcount=5021

Tommy McClain

There's been more feedback posted in that Kinect OT thread regarding the differences but l think those are pretty good taste.

Tommy McClain

Sounds like a port issue.
You'd have thought testing would have caught this sort of thing. Anyone else have similar experiences?

I have similar issues. I only tested it for about 45 minutes, but based on that it feels pretty much broken...

It keeps bringing up the pause menu, the jukebox (where you can change music), and different tutorials totally random during exercises!! Seems to lose track of you easily when doing pushups too.

The heart rate monitor also lost my pulse after 15 minutes and I wasn't able to get it back no matter what, and I'm pretty sure the problem is not my heart. Based on my limited experience I can't recommend this to anybody. I was lucky to get 30 seconds of exercise in a row without some menu popping up... I quess I have to sweat in Sauna tonight :)