Kinect buying intentions poll

What Kinect package are you buying?

• Total voters

Shifty Geezer

uber-Troll!
Legend
Now the price is known, $150/€150/£130 for Kinect+Kinect Adventures, or a bundle for $300/€300/£250 with 4GB 'Arcade' and Kinect, what are B3Ders buying intentions?

My wife saw an article and video on Kinect today, and then told me "lets get this, I think it might get me back into video games". So looks like I'm getting it :)

My initial thought is to take a wait-and-see attitude, with an eye out on any possible deals to get it for less.

Depending on how well the games fare, I can see buying the bundles as Christmas gifts for my sister or my parents. I think they'd really enjoy the dancing and exercise games.

My wife saw an article and video on Kinect today, and then told me "lets get this, I think it might get me back into video games". So looks like I'm getting it :)
I'm thinking the family factor might be the biggest seller. It's probably better value for XB360 owners to get Kinect than get a Wii if the family are wanting active gaming. Let's see if this poll validates my theory! ;)

I voted "mostly for me"; I'm certain that the video/movie functionality will be used more than the gaming. My wife talked about it today while I was talking about replacing my sons current 360, "Why don't you wait until the motion thing is out"; my mouth was agape.

Vote none of he above but I could buy it for my family which resumes to my wife as I've a hard time having to get her hand on a pad...
I guess I will set up a try for both a us and then decide.

Last edited by a moderator:
I put
I would get the peripheral if I owned a 360, but I don't

but ideally like anything like this the best + sanest option is
- wait a month see what other guinea pigs (ahem users) think and then decide then, basing a decision off pre release marketing/hype/expectations etc is just stopid(tm)

the above applies also to the ps3 (which I also dont own) + move

I got mine preordered. IF the games are $50 each then the $150 for the unit and the game isn't that bad. $130 would have made me much happier though. But my nephew will love the game and I will enjoy using it for some social gaming with friends. We don't really use the wii at all and its not hooked up but the 360 allways gets use so its easier for those days people are over. We laready have rockband and all the stuff for the 360 so one unit to do everything.

Kinect mostly for the wife, but I can become very interested in the non gaming functions. I might be sold if the right game comes along.

The option for me isn't there yet, though closest is 'would get the peripheral for me but it's too expensive'

I'm not buying it right now because I'm a) not convinced by the games yet and b) don't even know whether or not it can work in my smallish livingroom. I'll await initial game and peripheral reviews and what limitations it will have. Under normal circumstances it's a must buy for me even if only just for being able to tell my friends about it, but for now I'm going to wait and see and be rather skeptical. However, if a game comes along that is like the Salsa lessons I used to have (which involved almost line-dancing, very intensive warm-up and cool-downs) with good feedback on my performance, I will make it work somehow and my wife will probably like it a lot too.

Once the value is actually there fore me, I may well go for the Arcade bundle, since I sitll have a European launch unit without HDMI. Will be interesting to find out though how much it will cost to add a harddrive ...

I picked "Kinect, mostly for me (+ family)". I really wanted it for $100, but after checking it out more I've decided that $150 with Kinect Adventures(a game I do want) is worth pre-ordering. I just wished I knew if the 3 extra levels exclusive to the $299 pre-order came with the $150 add-on pre-order. The family is really excited for it too. They're really wanting Kinectimals, Dance Central & Your Shape Fitness.

Tommy McClain

I'm with Arwin.

I'm looking for the "waiting to read real reviews from real people and see real videos of real gameplay" before deciding whether or not it is worth purchasing at any price.

I could still be swayed, like Azbat was, that $150 might be reasonable. I could also still be swayed that I don't want this even if it were given to me for free. (Ie: it'll just take up space, look stupid, will never use any features, etc)

If the came out with P90Xtype motivational game, I'd be in.

Ideally, it would track my workouts and adjust my regimen with tips as you go along.

There's no poll option for what I'm thinking, which is "may purchase, it depends, price is kinda high, and it would be (mostly) just for myself"

If it was $99 U.S.D. definately.

If it was $119 U.S.D. I would complain but probably get it anyway.

Since its $149 U.S.D. I've put it off indefinately. I have to take into account the expected adoption rate and therefore support the peripheral would get when I consider what value it might have for me. As the price is higher than what I would expect would drive reasonable adoption, although I may be wrong here, I have to put it aside at least until 2011 because im not going to pay that much for something which may be DOA.

Has anybody pre-ordered? When? Today or before? I'm trying to decide where to pre-order mine. Almost everything I've pre-ordered I got from GameStop locally. One nice thing about that is I can put some money down now and then do game trades to put toward the pre-order. Then I got to the midnight launch to pick it up. I've never pre-ordered online before. Anybody have suggestions or experiences elsewhere? I'm most worried having to pay it all up front today.

Tommy McClain

$150.00 is too much money based off MS's track record of support - most recently the KIN which didn't even last 3 months... Move on the other hand requires less investment upfront and the hardware is largely derivative with the Wii's motion's controls so I am not as concerned about my investment in Move lacking software support 1 or 2 years after the launch. Granted Rare could come start to get their groove back but honestly I think Sony's first parties are more likely to do something interesting with the tech.

I gotta try it myself, but like PS Move, I haven't seen any game that I like. Normally I need at least one game to get a piece of hardware. And at $150, it's really expensive for a camera. So doubt I get it this year, maybe next year when it drops to $50 and has more games that I like.

Haven't pre-ordered mine yet, I'm thinking about waiting for the X360 + Kinect bundle. Although without a HDD, hmmmm.

Then again I have a bunch of 16 GB thumbdrives. Can you install games to thumbdrives also? Or is it only to HDD?

Regards,
SB

Back