Killzone public beta later this year (Yes, another Killzone thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a limitation of all the hardware before DX 10 hardware.

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/5485/drdrvb8.png

They will probably use blur for mask aliasing. Like you said, it will no be a jaggies fest like on PS2. And deffered shading is good for complex ligthing.

My point wasn’t really about possible limitations, my point was more about its own tools (PS3). Creating solutions; rather than excepting what another company API terms “you cant do it because we said soâ€￾.

I think that was UE3.0 saying their engine, deferred lighting, couldn't work with AA on XB360 in GeOW. I don't know what changes can be made, what differences the hardware makes (probably none between Xenos and RSX but you, or at least me, never know), and such that a deferred lighting model can't use any AA at all. I don't know if a developer set out to create a deferred renderer on PS3 with a view to AA, using Cell as well as RSX, whether they could or couldn't pull it off.

Found this article by our own DeanoC from 3 years ago on this very subject of deferred lighting. Too busy to read at the mo', but it might shed some light, and there'll be extra considerations about how Cell may or may not help - the article itself appears to be GPU only.

From a presentation of Matt Phar Neoptica last year, it look like the PS3/360 architecture with good bandwith between CPU and GPU and powerful SIMD engine may help Deffered shading.

http://pharr.org/matt/talks/graphicshardware.pdf

page 36

more efficient deferred shading
thanks for the DeanoC article links shifty

Last edited by a moderator:
From Develop
"
Deferred Rendering In Killzone 2
Michal Valient, Guerilla Games
A look at how Guerilla faced up to the next-gen challenge when making Killzone 2 (pictured right), one of the most anticipated PS3 titles. This session looks at the studio's approach to face this challenge and it designed a deferred rendering engine that uses multi-sampled anti-aliasing (MSAA). The talk also looks at how the team uses PS3's SPU for fast rendering.
"
There's also another box, with a quote from Michal bout how this is technical session etc.

The conference is July 24th to 26th in Brighton.

There, my good deed for the day, promoting a competitor and typing stuff for Beyond3D peeps, I should be sainted ;-) lol

Reactions: one
If you can access the MSAA buffer pre down-sampling it entirely possible to implement AA for deferred engines. Unreal 3 on console appear to choose not to simply cos it can be expensive.

We apply our deferred shadowing in pre MSAA iirc.

It is a limitation of all the hardware before DX 10 hardware.

Thats simply untrue, the hardware can do it, the API's can't. You can do it even on XBOX 1 as you can access the video surfaces directly. The biggest change DX10 brought was not 'new' hardware features but exposing an API to how the hardware treats video memory for generations...

From Develop
"
A look at how Guerilla faced up to the next-gen challenge when making Killzone 2 (pictured right), one of the most anticipated PS3 titles. This session looks at the studio's approach to face this challenge and it designed a deferred rendering engine that uses multi-sampled anti-aliasing (MSAA). The talk also looks at how the team uses PS3's SPU for fast rendering.
"
There's also another box, with a quote from Michal bout how this is technical session etc.

There, my good deed for the day, promoting a competitor and typing stuff for Beyond3D peeps, I should be sainted ;-) lol

Thanks DeanoC!! :D

Thats simply untrue, the hardware can do it, the API's can't. You can do it even on XBOX 1 as you can access the video surfaces directly. The biggest change DX10 brought was not 'new' hardware features but exposing an API to how the hardware treats video memory for generations...

Thanks, I don't know. It is cool. Thanks :D

Deferred rendering in Killzone 2
Michal Valient, Guerrilla-Games

Next generation gaming brought high resolutions, very complex environments and large textures to our living rooms. With virtually every asset being inflated, it's hard to use traditional forward rendering and hope for rich, dynamic environments with extensive dynamic lighting. Deferred rendering, on the other hand, has been traditionally described as a nice technique for rendering of scenes with many dynamic lights, that unfortunately suffers from fill-rate problems and lack of anti-aliasing and very few games that use it were published.

In this talk, we will discuss our approach to face this challenge and how we designed a deferred rendering engine that uses multi-sampled anti-aliasing (MSAA). We will give in-depth description of each individual stage of our real-time rendering pipeline and the main ingredients of our lighting, post-processing and data management. We'll show how we utilize PS3's SPUs for fast rendering of a large set of primitives, parallel processing of geometry and computation of indirect lighting. We will also describe our optimizations of the lighting and our parallel split (cascaded) shadow map algorithm for faster and stable MSAA output.

Take Away
The session will provide detailed overview and optimizations of modern rendering engine and parallel processing. Many of the topics are applicable for various gaming platforms.

CODING LECTURE

source: http://www.develop-conference.com/developconference/all_sessions.shtml

Just to make things a little more interesting....tomorrow we are going to see what were all the rumors about a project that is supposed to impress. Today we are getting these info on Killzone2's techniques. Who knows?

We'll show how we utilize PS3's SPUs for fast rendering of a large set of primitives, parallel processing of geometry and computation of indirect lighting.
Very interested how far they've taken this.

There are others going in similar directions wrt 'indirect lighting' calcs on Cell also. I think both Geomerics and another company who provide 'GI' or indirect lighting middleware solutions have discussed how they can fairly readily spread their calculations across both Cell and GPU. But yes, as far as specific games go, this would appear to be a more aggressive exploitation of Cell for graphics than we've seen to date, or at the very least, typically seen to date.

Just to make things a little more interesting....tomorrow we are going to see what were all the rumors about a project that is supposed to impress. Today we are getting these info on Killzone2's techniques. Who knows?

I've little doubt they're totally unrelated. This conference isn't happening until after E3 afterall.

From Develop
"
"

I wonder if any journalist will be there.

[Rant]

I hate to rain on the parade, but why would anyone get excited over a sequel to Killzone? The first game sucked and was in all conceivable ways a flop considering the hype it got. I find the idea of hyping Killzone as justified as hyping a sequel to Brute Force, both of which are games that had a lot of hype but failed to live up to it and are equally undeserving of sequels.

[/Rant]

The biggest problem with Killzone is the frame rate, which is too inconsistent. If they would just delayed the game and smooth out the frame rate, Killzone would end up as a much better game.

The movement and force of the shoulders and limbs while the character reloads, shoots or throws a grenade, affect the position of the head just like in real life. In other games the limbs seem to move independently and do not affect the state of the body and the positioning which is unrealistic

Um..in real life when I throw something like a baseball my head doesn't suddenly get whipped back nor does my vision switch toward the sky...:???:

The biggest problem with Killzone is the frame rate, which is too inconsistent. If they would just delayed the game and smooth out the frame rate, Killzone would end up as a much better game.

I think how the game controlled was more of a problem than the frame rate...
well for me that is :)

Um..in real life when I throw something like a baseball my head doesn't suddenly get whipped back nor does my vision switch toward the sky...:???:

Actually it does, because you are moving your body in an effort to pull out more force in throwing that object. And your head happens to be attached on that body unless you are rayman

Your head doesnt stay in one place. It is attached to your body. Just draw a dot on a nearby object, stare at it and pretend your are trying to through a grenade. Although your eyes are still centered on that dot, the angle changes, especially the "placement" of foreground and background objects in your vision. Unless the only thing you are moving is your hands, which is not the case.

Actually it does, because you are moving your body in an effort to pull out more force in throwing that object. And your head happens to be attached on that body unless you are rayman

Your head doesnt stay in one place. It is attached to your body. Just draw a dot on a nearby object, stare at it and pretend your are trying to through a grenade. Although your eyes are still centered on that dot, the angle changes, especially the "placement" of foreground and background objects in your vision. Unless the only thing you are moving is your hands, which is not the case.

Strawman argument...nobody claimed your head doesn't move. The concept which you can't seem to grasp is the fact your head doesn't snap back causing your vision to point skyward like what's being demonstrated in KZ. You are wrong get over it. When I throw a ball I look at the TARGET I don't snap my head back causing my eyes to stare at the angle of trajectory. :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back