Kikizo Robbie Bach video interview

jvd said:
http://gametrailers.com/player.php?id=6690&type=wmv

Okay, he said there aren't going to be 2 SKU's as far as 2 different versions of the hard drive size.

But also he said that they are focusing on just one SKU that includes the Xbox360, the controller, AND the Remote.
With remote ? That will be very nice. Though i would rather have a second controller but whatever more stuff in the package doesn't bother me

I really think they lost a lot of sales to the average shopper to PS2 by not being able to play DVDs out of the box.

Many kids in big box stores, tossing that info out there just at the moment of purchase.

Good idea I think. Of course most people have at least 1 or 2 DVD players now but it is convenient and possibly cheaper than adding a controller.

Yea , The 360 will most likely replace my cheapo 20$ component dvd player and save room.But other than that your right . We have a 400$ dvd player we bought last year and that certianly wont be replaced haha

He said 6 ea games at launch window and 25 more in development from ea ? I didn't know it was this many . He keeps talking about a 160 games in development and that launch window is till calander 2005 and he said rough estimate at launch 15 titles mabye a couple less or a couple more

THe best is the superstious question about price point and if ms is superstitious . That was very very fun

good interview

you really get the feeling that he is/has been intimately involved in every aspect.

His anwers do not come across as prepared but as someone who knows exactly what is going on.

is it me or does every kikizo interview lack a sound technician? :p

I tried to copy down tidbits about the highlights of the interview. Some good news in here. I am sure much is up to possible changes, but he provides a TON of details. Definately a contrast compared to past interviews. You definately get the sense MS is heading full steam for a fall launch and knows what their goals/plans are.

2:30

Gold = Current Live.

Silver New level under Gold.

3:15

Silver does not include multiplayer gaming.

Gold for gaming and same price as Xbox Live now.

3:45

Paid tournaments.

4:00

Approachability... basically non-expert gamers will have the game dumb down automatically, supposedly will crank up for expert gamers.

4:30

Camera and video chat go hand and hand with gaming.

Music plays a MORE important role now.

5:00

6 EA launch games, 25 EA games in development

5:30

160 games in development

5:45

Launch windows = Calander 2005

15 day 1 titles (+/-)

More titles will trickle in after day 1

7:00

No 1st party Xbox 1 titles left (although lists a slew of front line 3rd party games)

7:20

MS needs to lead the charge on the 360 platform.

7:30

Live is central to the 360.

Silver members will get to SAMPLE/TRY Gold level

8:00

Media center access through 360. 360 is extender/client -- out of box. Can access TV shows, music, etc... from your PC (Media Center?), hook up Digital Camera, etc...

8:45

Consoles pricing question... question about NOTHING above $299 has succeeded. Answer: MS understands price points, history, and customer preference and will factor all those in on their pricing front.

No final decision yet. Still doing consumer research.

9:45

Big support on wireless...

If you want a wireless controller they will sell you one.

Wired controller will work on PC and 360.

10:15

Asked about Xbox adapter... he says good Q, but does not have the answer to that.

10:45

Not merging PC platform and 360 platform, just trying to leverage the controller pluses so developers easily have a standard on the PC.

11:15

Will there be KB support for the 360? Technically possible, no decision on that as of yet.

11:30

When questioner asks about Square-Enix comment about SE saying "First game for 360" he asks if that means there will be more... Bach says you will need to ask SE, but notes "that is what he said"

12:00

Remote... Live TV button. The button is not for TiVo... Media Center button for Media Center Interface.

To be used as an extender. Basically a unification of access/uniformity.

14:45

2 ports like the PS2 for wired

But base skew has 4 wireless also, plus you can have multitap like adapters. They believe most will go wireless.

15:20

PACKING IS WIRELESS

15:30

HDD is removable. No news on SKU front.

15:45

Headset, remote, wireless controller, and HDD are in base SKU.

17:15

Bungie guys manage the Halo franchise.

MS's approach to 1st party software... has gone from a "bulk" producer to a company desiring to push content that drives the platform, meaning LESS titles, carefully timed and planned to offer features what they are doing with their platform.

Basically more strategic / development time on their titles.

18:30

1st party studios will do less games, but more quality AAA games.

3rd parties are doing a good job of covering genres, that MS is looking to use 1st party for AAA titles.

20:20

"Magic" 25% performance number of Alphas...

20:45

Spends a lot of time, yet again, praising not only MS games but ALSO 3rd party games. Bach seems to mention a LOT of 3rd party games.

21:30

Gives some time to Japanese developers.

22:00

Pricing appropriate for each market. They do not do math based on exchange rates. MS prices for local currency and expectations.

23:30

Always a shortage of consoles... question about redirecting units... notes how PSP [at the intervierw time] was not in Europe; their goal is to launch so people in every territory can have some access and then ship more units every week just keep ship more units, every week to every area, until demand is met.

24:45

In 5 years MS sees themselves as the leader in the video game space.

10-15 years out is very hard to project because MS expects the market to be VERY VERY different from today. Expects an evolution, social and community aspects will be more important. Content for more than just gamers. Music, Movies, and Games are now thought in different ways NOW but wont be true in 10-15 years in the future.

Bach's Favorite Word: "sure"

great summary Acert :D

also re: 1st party role in X360....

he mentioned that (besides creating games to coincide with other features of system or timing them with other promotions -he mentioned how NFL Fever 2003 was launched to coincide with the launch of Xbox Live) that 1st Party's role would be "setting the bar" to showcase what the console is really capable of. :oops: :D

he also mentioned in regard to contollers that besides the 4 wireless (proprietary 2.4ghz connections 1 w/base sku), that you can insert a wired USB controler OR multitap allowing (I'd assume) more than 4 controllers at one time. Maybe they can get to that magic 7 number afterall. :devilish: ;)

Translation of 1st party role:

More Halo, Jade Empire, Crimson Skies.

Less Kabuki Warriors, Azurik, Nightcaster.

(Hmmm, where does Brute Force fit into those lists?)

WillFa said:

Um I got the impression that ms is goign to focus on making tripple a games . Not that they wont make off beat games , just that hte quality will be of tripple a quality. Dunno if they can acomplish that though

jvd said:
WillFa said:

Um I got the impression that ms is goign to focus on making tripple a games . Not that they wont make off beat games , just that hte quality will be of tripple a quality. Dunno if they can acomplish that though

I agree. Infact, they've stated they're going to make more offbeat games (see quote at bottom).

However, I don't think he was suggesting those games as offbeat but rather he was hinting at the fact that they suck.

To quote gamespot: "Kabuki Warriors is one of the worst games to be released this year or any year, on the Xbox or any other platform."

It wasn't a first party title though

"We're not gonna get so everybody in the family loves this thing just with sports and shooters and racers," Gates admits. "We're gonna have to fund, both internally and externally, some high-risk genres and see if those can stick. We can't just stay with the tried and true."
http://time-proxy.yaga.com/time/archive/preview/0,10987,1061497,00.html?internalid=AP

Oops, I had always thought that Kabuki Warriors was an MGS published game. My fault for just running with the jokes instead of actually looking into it.

"Suck" is a subjective term and I really didn't want to belittle anyone's efforts. I was trying to get across my perception that when the Xbox launched, MS pumped out a whole bunch of games that I thought were just 'filler' to flesh out the platform's library. "Make it quick and make it different".

Maybe it's because the PS2 was heavily criticised for having no games for its first year. Perhaps Rare's Grabbed by the Ghoulies was also intended to pad the Xbox's weak children's line up, as well.

I do agree with the above. There's a difference between trying to cause new growth in untraditional directions with good efforts, and just putting something out there to plug a hole and focusing in another area, however. I wasn't condemning all 'offbeat' games, just the 'sucky'/'filler' ones.

hey I liked Azurik :oops:

it was the first game to use the HDD extensively and there was NO loading as you moved from world to world. It was sweet. :D

Back