Kayne & Lynch 2: Dog Days

Man, just downloaded the demo on PSN...what a remarkable cool game!!
I mean, I loved the first one...it was ultra cool, sans the tech (especially the last level, which was kinda unplayable with about 10 fps), but the action and settings where divers and direct imported from cool movies...

I just learned that this game features online coop (and split screen if someone cares ;-) ) for the campaign, which is kind of rare nowadays and a fundamental pro with respect to buy or not buy!

Graphics and style are great to, kind of cool feeling and sometimes gives a (sur)realistic perception of the scene (maybe sans the blood missing)

After this amazing demo, the game is a must buy for me, if the don't implement some major bug or something...

What I am curious:

Is online coop really campaign?
Are the settings as divers as in the first game...the ad at the end states that it takes place in Shanghai, which does not sound like there are many different settings?

Fun game, with nice controls. But man, this game is ugly as hell. What's with the insane graphical artifacting that looks like macro-blocking in a poorly compressed video? Frame rate is rock solid.

Fun game, with nice controls. But man, this game is ugly as hell. What's with the insane graphical artifacting that looks like macro-blocking in a poorly compressed video? Frame rate is rock solid.
Depends on your perspective of ugly, I think its ugly but it looks nice & unique..unlike any other game. They did it to give it a reality TV + Youtube video look...though some things are overdone, like the grain filter which will change its intensity depending on your camera angle & lighting and the "compression artifacts"

The camera effect is on purpose. There's been no real explanation as to why Lynch is being followed by a cheap digicam, but there you have it.

You can disable the shakes atleast.
Also it seems that they purposely make the game look blurry as well....I was playing it on PC & turned up the resolution but it still seemed as if it was running at a much lower resolution.

I can deal with the grain, but the blocking makes it very difficult for me to look at. I think I'd get a headache if I played it too long.

the macroblocking effect was strange at first, but I got used to it. What was harder to get used to was playing as an old fat bald guy in a wife beater the main character. But I guess thats part of what gives the game its cool "real" feel.

Hm...I liked all the effects a lot. Macroblocking was a nice addition to the rather 'dirty' looks of the graphics! What is kind of strange: sometimes, when you finish someone off (headshot), the scene gets pixelated, like in censoring?!

Up to now, I like this unique style a lot...is something different and a good way to separate from the standard. But I agree that I am not sure if this feeling will last throughout the whole game?

More like Kain & Lynch 2: Dog Shit.
Run of the mill tps with wonky cover mechanics, bad A.I., bad hit detection, weapons with no punch and visual filters that don't make a lick of sense. Is there a suicidal tourist with a crappy camera following the thoroughly detestable duo? I don't get this game at all.

the macroblocking effect was strange at first, but I got used to it. What was harder to get used to was playing as an old fat bald guy in a wife beater the main character. But I guess thats part of what gives the game its cool "real" feel.

I don't think that is a effect but a problem with the game. MGS4 had the same issue in the dark city level if you looked at the sky.

This looks exactly like Red Steel, both artistically and technically, ugh. Running at a solid 60fps is great though.

It actually has a great deal of stuff going on technically for a 60FPS game, things like SSAO (a first for a 60FPS console game I believe, though its missing in PS3 ver) , very advanced lens effects, fairly detailed models & some nice lighting etc etc. Though whether its actually good to look at is subjective.

It actually has a great deal of stuff going on technically for a 60FPS game, things like SSAO (a first for a 60FPS console game I believe, though its missing in PS3 ver) , very advanced lens effects, fairly detailed models & some nice lighting etc etc. Though whether its actually good to look at is subjective.

Just played the demo, it does indeed seem impressive for 60fps, it has a lot going on. I actually liked the demo, I'll probably end up getting it pending it's metacritic ranking.

SSAO seems missing in the PS3 version, I didn't see any in the demo !

As for the demo, I am plaeasantly surprised. its a huge improvement over the first one, gameplay wise, feels much faster and fun. Contrary to what I had thought, I liked the demo a lot ! I won't be getting it, but it sure has improved into a much better game than before.

and I like the visual style they chose. Gives a very nice "Scum of the earth" feeling, like the title says "Dog Days " :) !

Back