K-lite codec pack

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
I've been using k-lite now for years and it's served me awesomely, I was just curious what other people use for their video playback and such.
Just updating again and it reminded me I'd wanted to bring it up sometime, now seems like a decent time. :)

Don't use them at all. No need to.

All my playback is done using consumer media devices like CCwGTV, Roku, Xbox Series consoles with a server like Emby or Plex.

Klite Basic is useful for getting Windows to make file thumbnails with essentially all video formats imaginable. But if you just get a media player like say MPC BE it doesn't need any external codecs for playing videos.

K-Lite hasn't really been needed for years. Either you use something like Kodi or other media library, or a simple player like MPC or VLC.

For local media?

Plex + svp for watching SDR videos (anime) on laptop

MPV for watching HDR videos on laptop because plex unable to do HDR to SDR tone mapping without the server transcoding the video.

Plex for watching on LG CX. And for some reason it requires internet connection. Blergh.

Mpv for watching any videos on Android tablet. Because plex is a buggy mess.

Like.. Seriously, tons of people has been complaining with plex bugs for years and they ignored them and keeps adding new features instead.

Sure plex can be daisychained with mpv to solve most issues. But it's a pain to setup and the experience is more cumbersome (e.g. No tracking of finished episodes, no remember last watch position)

Back