Just what is a "gamer"?

WaltC

Veteran
As readers of this B3d forum will note, lots of people try and use the word "gamer" as a type of narrowly defined catch-phrase intended to justify their opinions about certain kinds and brands of computer hardware. (I speak specifically here as to the handful of recent, now-locked threads in this forum which need no identification...;) I often wonder what motivates forum moderators to shut down some kinds of free and unfettered commentary, so long as threats and overt profanity are avoided. I wonder what they're afraid of, exactly. But that's a topic for another day.)

I define "gamer" this way: one who plays computer games. In talking with many, many people over the years who play computer games, I've always been impressed by how much more knowledgeable they are about the games they play than they are about the hardware they use to play those games. So my premise here is that the "gamer" is defined by the games he plays as opposed to the hardware he uses to play those games. IE, gamers don't have to have certain kinds of hardware to be considered gamers, and opinions to the contrary are simply invalid. As I wanted some kind of objective criteria against which to measure the validity of my own opinion as to the matter, I decided to check here:

http://steampowered.com/status/survey.html

Here are a few of the facts I gleaned, and you might wish to add your own observations to the discussion. Of the 836,099 people surveyed at the time I looked...

*The number of people who play HL2 with < 512mb's of ram in their boxes is almost exactly equal to the number of people playing with >512mb's but < 1Gb of ram. The two categories combined equal ~84% of the total. I fit into the 1Gb or > percentage, which is a mere 2.43% percent of the total.

*>99% play with a single cpu, including me.

*~86% of the group using Intel cpus are running them clocked < 3Ghz

*~96% of the group using AMD cpus are running them clocked < 2.3GHz. I fit into the ~4% of the AMD group running a cpu clocked at 2.3GHz or >.

*3d-card group is led by the >19% of the group which plays the game with either an ATi-based 9600 or a 9800. Just behind the Radeon categories come two nVidia categories, the FX5200's and the GF4MX's, which together comprise slightly > than ~14% of the total. I fit into the x800 category, which weighs in at a mere 1.33% of the total number of 3d-cards used by the group.

*Slightly under 90% of the group has less than 250GB's total HD storage capacity on their HL2 gaming machines. I fit into the 250GB's or > greater category here, which is, of course, just over 10% of the group.

What I think is clear through the recitation of these HL2 survey findings is that the high-end enthusiast's configuration is decidedly not the configuration used by the overwhelming majority of HL2 gamers. Of special note to me is the high percentage of HL2 players using GF FX5200's and GF4 MX's which are, by any "enthusiast's" measure, inadequate to the task, but are nevertheless being used by gamers to play HL2.

The only real conclusion to be reached, then, is that any editorial comment which seeks to paint the "gamer" as someone who only buys and uses high-end, enthusiast-grade hardware is editorial commentary completely unsupported by the facts, and thus completely wrong. So I would suggest that the next time you read a hardware review which criticizes hardware simply on the point that it isn't "enthusiast grade" and therefore "isn't for gamers," you might wish to purvey the HL2 survey if you want to understand just how wrong such sentiments really are. There just isn't any particular hardware configuration required to play games, and it seems to me that the HL2 survey proves it conclusively. I think that somewhere along the way some of our most colorful self-appointed pundits have confused overclocking and frame-rate bar charts with gaming in general, and I think that's a pity.

I think a "gamer" is one who enjoys playing games more than just plays them.

A subtle distinction, but methinks an important one.

EDITED BITS: Oh yeah, the comparison thingy...

*The number of people who play HL2 with < 512mb's of ram in their boxes is almost exactly equal to the number of people playing with >512mb's but < 1Gb of ram. The two categories combined equal ~84% of the total.
I just added 1Gb yesterday to bring my rig to 2Gb, but before then I was in that category.

*>99% play with a single cpu
Yup, me too.

*~96% of the group using AMD cpus are running them clocked < 2.3GHz.
Count me in that happy 4% too, but just barely.

*3d-card group is led by the >19% of the group which plays the game with either an ATi-based 9600 or a 9800. Just behind the Radeon categories come two nVidia categories, the FX5200's and the GF4MX's, which together comprise slightly > than ~14% of the total.
1.33% X800 owner here too.

*Slightly under 90% of the group has less than 250GB's total HD storage capacity on their HL2 gaming machines.
Uhm, I think I have 480 right now... :oops:

Does the definition of "gamer" say anything about your PC/hardware knowledge/savvy though? Is knowing how to build a gaming rig a prerequisite to enjoying gaming on one?

digitalwanderer said:
I think a "gamer" is one who enjoys playing games more than just plays them.

A subtle distinction, but methinks an important one.

Agreed. I'm really working under the assumption that folks who don't enjoy playing games probably don't play them...;)

[Edit in reply to your edits, Dig...]

I think that the word "gamer" might be prefaced by other phrases, such as "hard-core," etc., to define the hardware-savvy context of the notion. But I think that overall it simply isn't valid to barf all over a piece of hardware just because it doesn't fit into a very narrow notion of a "gamer" as someone only interested in overclocking and frame rates. Often gamers are more interested in the games they play than in their hardware, and I think that real gamers only get interested in their hardware if and when they perceive that the games they play are being negatively affected by the hardware they are using. As always, that's a matter of individual tastes and preferences, imo. "One man's trash is another man's treasure," etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
"gamer" culture is like the 80's. it's rulled by excess and trickle down economics. ie, when i get new hardware my old hardware trickles down into my other machines, with the older stuff passing on to my "non-gamer" friends and family (the gamer equivelant to the 3rd world).

WaltC said:
Agreed. I'm really working under the assumption that folks who don't enjoy playing games probably don't play them...;)
I guess I should have been clearer, I guess it's a matter of degree that you are "into" gaming.

I don't consider some casual gamers as "gamers" per se. My sister likes to play some games, but I wouldn't call her a "gamer". "Gamer" implies more of a passion towards gaming for me I guess. :oops:

see colon said:
"gamer" culture is like the 80's. it's rulled by excess and trickle down economics. ie, when i get new hardware my old hardware trickles down into my other machines, with the older stuff passing on to my "non-gamer" friends and family (the gamer equivelant to the 3rd world).
Heh, too true...but it's a "value add" for me in a big way with a wife, son, and daughter to pass down bits to.

My upgrade strategies involve thinking about how one upgrade will affect all four rigs, and although it gets complex at times and is a lot of work at others it tends to work out pretty well.

My 1Ghz Celeron w/GF4 ti4400 is still alive and well, and a muchly beloved gaming rig for my 5 year old daughter and it runs all her games pretty excellent. (It has a little trouble with NFSU, but she isn't into that one too much)

A gamer is someone who enjoys playing games, whether it be PC games, or console games. Hardware doesn't come in to it. However, there are a group of hardware enthusiasts who are also gamers - their hardware purchasing needs are in aid of playing games. They like to experience the games the way the developer intended them to be played in all their glory.

Why do people spend £400 on a video card?

I'd say 98% of the time these hardware enthusiasts are buying their high-end video card to play games with, and to make their games look better than they did before. I've certainly done it in the past - I've upgraded my video card after playing through a bit of a new game I'd bought, only to find that it didn't look as nice as I wanted it to. The alternative here is that their system doesn't meet the minimum system requirements for the game they have just purchased; thus, they're forced to upgrade.

Another one 1% of big-spending hardware enthusiasts buy that high-end video card because they benchmark and overclock - they're in to liquid nitrogen cooling, volt modifications and other such activities that usually come at great expense.

The final 1% of people upgrade their video card for 'no apparent reason' at the moment, IMHO. They're not gamers and their previous video card did everything they needed it to do for them. You could say they upgraded for the sake of upgrading... to wave the e-wang around a bit. However, this could change when Avivo starts to strut its stuff with Video Transcoding - you'll see the savvy video geeks upgrading their video cards so they can encode, transcode, and watch videos at a higher quality.

I think see colon makes a good point too - many people recycle their hardware in to older systems. I must admit I do the same - I'm looking to build a home theatre box, but I want to spend as little as possible to get the job done. I'll be using components that are mainly capable last-generation parts that just sit gathering dust at the moment.

digitalwanderer said:
I guess I should have been clearer, I guess it's a matter of degree that you are "into" gaming.

I don't consider some casual gamers as "gamers" per se. My sister likes to play some games, but I wouldn't call her a "gamer". "Gamer" implies more of a passion towards gaming for me I guess. :oops:

Heh-Heh...;) Dig, have you ever considered the possibility that your little sister might look at the kinds of games you play contrasted to what she prefers, and that she might reach the same conclusion about you?...;)

More to the point, though--I was specifically citing the HL2 survey as the basis for my "gaming" remarks in general, and I think you'll agree that HL2 is as much a "gamer's game" as anything else. That's what I found interesting--the wide latitude of hardware being used to play HL2. So, if some people can derive some value out of playing HL2 with 5200's and GF4 MX's, I have absolutely no doubt that playing HL2 with an X-200 core-logic chipset, for instance, would present no barrier to a would-be HL2 gamer, etc.

Certainly I agree that there's adequate hardware, good hardware, and better hardware for playing games--no doubt about it. But since so many more people find that adequate is all they need, I think it's wrong to classify hardware on the basis that if it isn't absolutely the most expensive available it isn't suitable for gaming. I really do think that most developers agree with me on this, which answers the question as to why they are so quick to support the hardware mean instead of exclusively supporting only the high-end.

I'm sort of nutty about high-end hardware, myself, but I try and separate the hardware I own from the software I buy whenever possible. Most of the time in the B3d forums I respond to threads concerning specific conditions as created by specific pieces of hardware within specific pieces of software. But it was in reading the "X hardware isn't good for gamers" generalities as expressed in a couple of recent threads that I decided to get a bit more general about it myself.

bigz said:
Why do people spend £400 on a video card?

I'd say 98% of the time these hardware enthusiasts are buying their high-end video card to play games with, and to make their games look better than they did before.

I agree with this completely. But the point I was trying to make is that 98% (or thereabouts) of the people who buy HL2 are seemingly content to play the game without making such purchases--at least, this is what the HL2 survey indicates.

WaltC said:
Heh-Heh...;) Dig, have you ever considered the possibility that your little sister might look at the kinds of games you play contrasted to what she prefers, and that she might reach the same conclusion about you?...;)
No. My sister has known of my psychotic passion for gaming since the early 70s, that's why I used her as an example. ;)

digitalwanderer said:
No. My sister has known of my psychotic passion for gaming since the early 70s, that's why I used her as an example. ;)

Listen, you aren't the only one with a relative questioning your sanity!

My wife plays all of these weird and strange detective/mystery games for hours on end (I don't like any of 'em), and on the few occasions I've invited her to take a look at some games I enjoy like HL1/2, or Morrowind or WarCraft, etc., she looks at me as if I'm an alien and says something like:

"Yuuch. I'd have to be nuts to enjoy something like that!" and storms out of the room shaking her head! Know what? I don't care.

:D

WaltC said:
I agree with this completely. But the point I was trying to make is that 98% (or thereabouts) of the people who buy HL2 are seemingly content to play the game without making such purchases--at least, this is what the HL2 survey indicates.
Oh yeah, totally. I would estimate that no more than 5% of the people who filled out the Steam survey could be classed as hardware enthusiasts - half life 2 had a very broad reach in that respect. Much more than a lot of other games around at the moment (or in the past, for that matter).

There are a hell of a lot of people running FX 5200's and GeForce 4MX's for a start. I'd never consider them to be 'enthusiast' cards, even back when they were released. Radeon 9600-series arguably was though. However, it certainly isn't now.

Am I a gamer? When I'm using the keyboard even if not playing a game my left hand fingers are always on wasd, shift and space, and my right hand is resting on my mouse. I always get weird comments about it, lol.

bigz said:
Oh yeah, totally. I would estimate that no more than 5% of the people who filled out the Steam survey could be classed as hardware enthusiasts - half life 2 had a very broad reach in that respect. Much more than a lot of other games around at the moment (or in the past, for that matter).

There are a hell of a lot of people running FX 5200's and GeForce 4MX's for a start. I'd never consider them to be 'enthusiast' cards, even back when they were released. Radeon 9600-series arguably was though. However, it certainly isn't now.
Much of that is related to the popularity of CS.

Skrying said:
Am I a gamer? When I'm guesing the keyboard even if not playing a game my left hand fingers are always on wasd, shift and space, and my right hand is resting on my mouse. I always get weird comments about it, lol.
Include a pinky on ctrl for crouching and I'm right there with ya. :LOL:

digitalwanderer said:
Include a pinky on ctrl for crouching and I'm right there with ya. :LOL:

Ctrl for crouch? Insane!!! Shift = crouch, so natural. At least you're not as bad as my wife: C = crouch and x = jump. I dont know how she can do it, guess its the small hands.

digitalwanderer said:
But shift is sprint or walk! :???:

That's caps lock! Lol!

When I think of a gamer, I think of someone who spends a lot of their free time gaming. A casual gamer to me is someone who plays games with their friends or plays the latest hits, they also tend not to play games that take more involvment.

There's two types of gamers to me though. One that spends a lot of time with just one game. I'd put myself in this catagory. I spend the majority of my time gaming playing CS:S, I'm a competitive player playing in leagues like CAL (CAL-i) and CEVO (you must pay to play in this league). I'd consider myself fairly hardcore. Though I rarely "pub" in this game except when playing with other memebers of my clan.

Then there's the people who play tons of games. These are the people who need every new game and go from game to game. The one thing that really has to be there for a gamer is for the person to beat every game. To me a real gamer finishs the games they start.

Am I a gamer? sure am. Once I get this problem with my 1800xl figured out (it overheats and locks up after 30 mins) I will be amongst the 1% who run their athlons at < 2.4Ghz (I have successfuly run the CPU at 2.5Ghz).

I may be able to play at 1280*1024 but every game I have will run with 16x ansio and 6x FSAA

I only have 200Gb storage though but that may change in the future.

Back