just got a call from The Planet...

Sage

13 short of a dozen
Regular
...after i put in my resume over the weekend. they gave me a short quiz and I think I failed miserably. I forgot the TCP/IP port for SMTP (25), the number of IP's in a class C address (254), and the command in linux to list processes (ps)! I'm so ashamed. I remembered the answers almost immediately after I got off the phone. The lady said that she'd pass it on the the guy that hires and if he's interested he'd give me a call for an interview. man oh man how I hope he does, I would LOVE to work at The Planet! But, I fear I may have crapped out on the quiz :(

edit: fixed port number and ps

oh yeah even if I dont get it I'll be okay. I don't have to work at all. it's just that if I want to have a BMW I will have to work. Even if The Planet doesn't work out, there will be other (possibly higher-paying) opportunities. I just really really want to work at The Planet. And don't take from my post that I've given up hope, I just feel that I could have done much better.

edit:
the reason I'm sharing this with you is because I'm excited, maybe a little anxious, but mostly excited. I mean, hey, they called me instead of just tossing my resume in the trash bin! I'd call that a good first step!

Isn't 'The Planet' a fictional newspaper in Superman or something? :?

Oh, isn't a process list command PS (or PS -u username)? Or is that just vanilla UNIX? It's been a while...

Yes, it is. But it won't work with capitals. :) 'ps -ax' if you want all processes.

SMTP is port 25, btw. ;)

Diplo said:

Oh, isn't a process list command PS (or PS -u username)? Or is that just vanilla UNIX? It's been a while...
its ps
if you want a complete listing, ps -ef
(for Solaris and some linux, might be diff in BSD - the switches are different in some OSes)
Or there's top :) (gotta install it though)

Also, the smtp port is 25...

aaah right, ps. it's been a few months since I had to blow away my BSD box. my fingers must have forgotten. so what's port 32 then? I new it was somewhere around in that area, just couldnt remember exactly which one- rembmered 32 being important so I thought that might be it.

btw The Planet is a major hosting company. www.theplanet.com They host HardOCP. They're really really big.

gotta leave the forum for a while, got windows all installed and ready to make a starting image. that means i got to restart my workstation into w2k server and start a ghost server, it'll take fair bit of time to complete.

edit:
im back already. managed to pull some levers and strings, push some buttons and slap a huge generator onto it, complete with the mandatory Jacob's Ladder, and really speed things up. My predecessor could hardly get the thing to even work. I'm so proud of myself :D

Diplo said:

NO the daily planet punk ! get it right :)

Way to go, man!

Keep us posted, so we'll know who to buzz if HardOCP pisses us off for whatever reason ;)
Go make us somewhat proud! :)

Kjetil

Kaizer said:
Way to go, man!

Keep us posted, so we'll know who to buzz if HardOCP pisses us off for whatever reason ;)
Go make us somewhat proud! :)

Kjetil

ROFL! yeah, why do you think I'm so interested in the job? :devilish:

heh, nah. really, as long as HardOCP pays their dues and abides by the rules I think they have as much a right to piss people off as anyone else does. I think it's better to let them keep pissing people off and screw themselves rather than me try to screw them and then end up getting screwed myself. If you visit the religion and politics forum you'll quickly discover that I believe everyone has a right to make a fool of themselves.

also, as much as I like to make fun of the [H], there are actually some pretty good guys over there. I might not always agree with them (actually, more like I usually don't) but they have managed to do what I tried and didn't succede at- making a massively popular gamer hardware website. And, for that, I must respect them.

and on a completely different note- I had so much fun this evening! I got to go shopping for clothes and spent over $300! Yeah, I'm so like a girl, I LOVE shopping for clothes! I got 3 purple shirts, 2 black ones, 2 pair of slacks, a wonderful belt, and 2 pair of absolutely gorgeous shoes! And I got away with some incredible bargains on most of it, too!

You are just like a girl, maybe that'swhy you have such bad luck!

Anywho, congrats on the interview, I really hope you get the job.

all three purple shirts are different purples. i'll take pics when I get home tonight. one is a T and it's a deep violet, another is a dress shirt and isn't solid purple, it's purple and white lines (but its still a "purple" shirt), and the last is also a button-down shirt but it's a deep purple too with some lines that are in even deeper purple. the first two go together- wear the T under the dress shirt with the dark olive slacks I'm wearing right now. the other one I think works better as a casual shirt, top the buttons and cuffs unbuttoned worn with some jeans.

Back