Just got a 2600xt, where does this stand? Power consumption? Performance? etc?

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by ...., Feb 28, 2008.

1. ....

Banned

This is a series of general questions that are not often found on single reviews.

Ok, I just got a pci express 2600xt 512MB visiontek pci express card.

Where does this thing stand in terms of power consumption, performance, etc? Say against cards from its generation, the preceding gen and the one before that. What about compared to the latest generation of cards?

I'd like to know how it fares against low-range, mid-range and high-range of the various generations mentioned(4 generations total.).

What types of games can I hope to play with this?(I have xp and my monitor is 1280x1024)

About how many units could I play with in Total Annihilation?

How good is the HD video acceleration? Does it work with players like say the Core media player? Dvix codec?

PS

Sorry if this is the wrong board, if it is mods please move it to the appropriate board, thanks.

2. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

No offense, but these are the things you ask BEFORE you buy something.

Anyway, it's fairly low end performance wise as of right now and to be honest there are a large number of cards offering much better value (the 9600 GT for instance is a tremendous value at $170~). The 2600XT has great video acceleration as far as that goes though, which specific codecs and programs it applies to I'm not 100% however. Honestly I would return it if you can depending on pricing and availability of other cards where you live and return policy.

3. ....

Banned

Over here, cards are way over priced, mid-range often go near $300. So buying locally ain't acceptable, I usually buy online, with the shipping overhead. But I got this one pretty cheap(around 100$).

With HDMI, and integrated sound(? I never got the integrated soundcard working properly, only usb speakers work.), at such a low price I considered it a steal and there was only 1 left. Anyway considering my relatively low-resolution and emphasis on low power cards, I didn't give it another thought.

But I wonder how it compares to other cards. I mean often a 500~$ card doesn't give 5X the performance of a 100~$ card, not to mention it consumes a ton of power and generates a ton of heat. My previous card was several generations old, and now was the time to buy.

I'm just curious how it fares against other low-end, mid-range, high-range cards in both performance and power consumption.

EDIT:

Just checked the 9600GT here, and it seems to have the same weakness I'd heard this one has only 4ROPs. Though it probably has higher performance, being more recent.

#3 ...., Feb 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2008
  4. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

Eh? The 9600GT has 16 ROPs and is nearly as fast as a 8800GT, massively faster than the 2600XT.

5. ....

Banned

Actually it wasn't here, it was this linked outside article from this board:
    http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/1293/3

It says 4 ROPS.

6. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

It's wrong, they said that because GPUz misreads the 9600GT. :lol:

7. ....

Banned

Just found this link while googling some info now:

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_2007.html?modelx=33&model1=1064&model2=853&chart=318

The highest performing card tested(8800 ultra) in the benchmarks got less than 2.6x performance increase over the 2600xt in an average of all games tested. Not bad considering almost half the tests are above the low rez I'll be using, and have max setting with 4xAA 8AF which would obviously skew results in favor of a high end card.

It seems under the likely settings I'll use dx9 1280, 2x or no AA, maybe some aniso. The performance gap could very well be less than 2X.

8. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

As others have said, you should return the 2600XT and try out the 9600GT to get the best bang per buck.

9. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

Well it definitely has more bang, but its also a lot more bucks. Really you're talking about double the price as 2600xt's can be had for under $100.

10. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

So now $170 is 2 * $100 ? ;)

Though I didn't notice he picked this up for a mere $100, I was thinking it was more around $135ish.

11. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

Well when I said under, I didn't say how much under, you can actually get a 2600xt for $69 if you're so inclined but that's a 256mb card. But mostly at places I shop the 9600GT is almost exactly double $90-95 (512MB 2600xt) vs $180-190 (512MB 9600gt)

Well you can still find them that expensive if you look. No question for gaming I'd recommend the 9600gt over a 2600xt if you can/willing pay for it.

12. ....

Banned

Hey guys, I got a -'severe' zero display error- while installing the latest drivers from the ati website. But everything seems to be working fine, and under device manager when I click on display properties it shows an ati driver. Can I presume everything's alright and that minor error won't come to bite me?

13. ShaidarHaran

ShaidarHaran hardware monkey
    Veteran

The 2600 series is crap-tastic. Just do yourself a favor (and save us the effort) and get a 9600 GT. Even if you don't notice a difference in the games you play now, a 9600 GT is going to last you so much longer than a 2600 XT that the cost difference is completely justified.

14. {Sniping}Waste

Regular

I see the posters are not helpfull. It looks like nothing but Nvidia shrills posted. Did you bother asking what is his price range and what cards are available in his area? He wanted info on the card he has and compare of cards in the SAME PRICE RANGE.

The HD2600XT is now in the lower end of the mid range now. As for power draw its low around 60W and newer games will have problems running at 1280X1024. You will have to run the newer games in the 800X600 and 1024X768 range with detail set to low. The nice thing on the HD2600 is its UVD (Universal Video Decoder). It will take most of the load in decoding DVD/HD movies and video file play back leaving a small load on the CPU and give you a smooth playback.

If you want to get a different video card then can you post your price range and a link of the online store so I can see what is available there.

Hope this helps you out.

15. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

Nvidia shrills? Thanks, but any person who buys something THEN ASKS WHAT IT CAN DO deserves what's coming, which in my comment was ADVICE to RETURN it and get a card that is much much much better bang for the buck.

You also stated NO MORE than I did in my first post...

16. {Sniping}Waste

Regular

Skrying just read the post all before my post and you will see what Im talking about. I did not say there shrills but looks like. If you look at most of the post there is no help in them. What is needed is his price range and the online store he uses. The HD2600XT might be the best card he can get in his price range too.

17. ShaidarHaran

ShaidarHaran hardware monkey
    Veteran

ROFLMFAO. I'm an Nvidia shill. That's good. Thanks for the laugh. Up until ATi screwed up for the eleven millionth time I was a diehard fanATIc. I haven't used an Nvidia card since the FX 5200. If they had anything that was even remotely competitive at the highend (and wasn't crossfire on a card) I'd be all over it.

Everyone knows the 9600 GT has the best price to performance ratio of any card currently, so that's why I recommended it. If you have a problem with this then tough luck.

18. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Lol, yeah I got a chuckle out of that one too :lol:

19. ....

Banned

I'd have to see the data, it has to offer more than 2x the performance in dx9 at the given resolution without AA little or no aniso and at likely medium settings on modern games and without doubling or significantly increasing power consumption for it to be considerable.

Aren't they both 65nm? Which would mean the difference in performance is probably also seen in power consumption.

I'm looking particularly for a very low power consumption, 90nm or below card. I should add HD video(core media player, dvix, anime) software is one of the things I'll be using it mostly for. Other likely uses are Emulation of old games(at most demanding psone, n64, and nintendo ds), online flash games, and maybe a bit of flash coding and some shader coding(basic tutorials, and beginner stuff.) .

In the old days ati had to have an IQ advantage, does it still hold? For old emu games that should easily run with this card, and very very old pc games, which holds the iq crown nvidia or ati?

As for price range, that's not what the question's about :lol:

PS

I should add I find 30~fps quite playable. I only consider things noticeable and unacceptable with jarring single digit fps, slideshows.

20. Davros

Legend

Thats enough to make anyone turn to ATI :D

ps: .....

your comment about using emulators
    the 7 + 8 series (im guessing the 9 series as well) have bad 16bit iq