Just Cause

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Cartoon Corpse, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Cartoon Corpse

Veteran

Hey I tried 'search' and leafed through 4 pages of this forum by 'hand'! i swore we had talked about this game earlier.

Anyway, finally gave this one a "Just" play last night (3ish hours). I've been hung up with G3 since i got both games a few weeks ago.

This game is pretty. really captures atmosperic look of oncoming summer storm IMO. day/night cycle, weather yay!

It's fun to me (in a GTA 'light' kinda way) (ie not much music or ambient NPC 'life'...mostly bugs and dogs for background 'noise'...
    prettier than Boiling Point, but lacks much of the 'depth' of BP interactions, things to keep track of and do (eat, hunt, repair car, heal self,sleep)

i completed about 10 missions...more bland than GTA (no real backstory...no talking either for side missions, just main missions, just screen text assignment....go do it...return...get points)

but completing the missions you have nice vehicles (GTA style) to use. i've used 10 or so land vehicles...a single engine plane...and a small heli.

im not enthralled like i was first time i played Vice City (REALLY captured the beachy ambience IMO), nor does it engross me in 'purpose' like Boiling Point did.

the main story in all those games isn't so important to me im thinking. it's the ambiance (clever quips, music, bugs, dogs, etc) taken all together that IS important. along with mechanics....vistas...you know

i prefer to 'sort of' write my own story i think. RPG style...sure there's a point, but it's outcome is somewhat affected by my choices. a conglomeration of NPC reactions (they have their own story, just as i do) to my choices.

anyway, no crashes or bugs so far. and it is beautiful (i turned off heat haze, motion blur, 1 other thing). so i have a clear Farcryish looking game.

im still on the first island....that looks to be about 1% of the landmass. im looking forward to achieving safehouses and vehicles scattered about (unlocked as you progress).

missions are easy, you have some choices you can make (eg use heli rockets instead of plant c4 charges to take out something.)

your health is plentiful. i don't remember dying more than 1 time.

if it just had more ambience....sigh. i could write my own story.

but then again, running around a large fairly MT landscape with nothing but bug sounds as your backing track is fairly realistic isn't it?

i see brightly colored plants (dotting the landscape) and i want to COLLECT them! i think i did kill a bird, not sure though. just fell nothing to collect.

the devs say there is stuff to discover through exploring (i did find a sniper rifle on a rooftop)...and there are missions to collect items (5-10 packages scattered about)

i like it, a quality game, just needs more ambience to make it more memorable i think.

i also wondered if there's a more fleshed out version in another language that didn't make it to US for one reason or another (eg licensing issues or something)

2. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

I liked the parachute and some of the fun stuff you could do with it. :)

3. Cartoon Corpse

Veteran

and the grapple is neat too. that's how i stole my first heli. forgot to mention there are some fun original tasks too!

4. Alistair

Regular

It's the only other game around that lets you liberate cities ;)

I was really impressed by the draw distance and performance. Interaction might be bland, but it certainly slides around the screen...

5. poopypoo

Veteran

Yeah, I remember we went back and forth on this subject, CC.

I think I still stand by my previous assessment -- in terms of draw distance and LOD, the pinnacle of gaming achievement so far (afaik). A bit light on gameplay, but what's there is solid and many of the moves you can pull off reward you with beautiful scenes. Think of it as an action movie you play, and nothing more, and you won't be disappointed. Due to the repetitive nature of the missions, wouldn't recommend buying for more than $25-30 USD. With a proper expansion pack (flesh everything out, fill every nook and cranny of that island with details, and don't touch the engine), they could make this one of the better games out there.

I should note, I haven't been able to uninstall this one (even though it's 6+ GB on a crowded HDD!), because sometimes i just feel like blowing shit up fo 30 minutes. :)

edit: i did some searching real quick, and everything I type returns no results! :O no time to investigate further unfortunately. :(

#5 poopypoo, Dec 7, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2006
  6. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

Its a pack in with the video card a just ordered (this beautiful X1950 Pro) so I'll play it then. I didn't care for the demo though....

7. poopypoo

Veteran

i'm particularly fond of this one ^^; it's out of stock @ newegg but it's all over HK and the photos don't do it justice IMO! I hear it's a touch loud though. :(

8. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

I thought about that one, its cheaper, but reviews suggest its a bit hot, its slightly loud, and most importantly its been out of stock at Newegg for ages now. :lol:

9. Gollum

Veteran

Dunno, the demo didn't really thrill me. The graphics were pretty, but somehow I didn't get the feeling the game rewards exploration and the interaction with the world and characters was extremely limited (or rather almost non-existent). That just doesn't do it for me. I guess it could be fun for short bursts of action, like poopypoo said. I won't pick this one up until it hits the bargain bin...

10. Cartoon Corpse

Veteran

The demo WAS a dissappointment to me as well...(play the full game for 20 minutes...to get past first obligatory? mission(s)...then you're in "free to do as you please mode...ala GTA"...

Did another 3 hours lastnight....This game is growing on me more!

Good news....There IS travel music (when traveling in a vehicle, adjust the music volume to high and background effects volume to 1/2 voila! music)

Baddish news....not alot of variety to it
    Baddish news2....When on mission, you'll probably need to (i did) adjust background effects back to full)...I haven't found a happy medium...too loud music or no weapons sounds kinda thing.

anyway i spent a good amount of time (collecting packages...i like doing that)...had to climb, swim/dive for them...but i got a lot of time to just walk around in the wilderness...seashore....towns...

larger towns have more NPC activity (still lacks variety) than villages i conquered the first night.

bug/bird sounds/seashore sounds are well modeled/located on my 5.1 surround.

i did a few more missions...almost died once! did some grappeling (2 more types of helis in my pocket)...did some boating....nice hydroplane i unlocked! monster truck...immediately totalled it.

im liking wandering all over, lost as hell, knowing im not seeing 1% of what there is to see.

one thing i forgot to mention, while vehicle control is GTA style...it demands a lighter touch, more finesse...i like that too.

the game really is beautiful...can't wait to get to the BIG cities (don't even know where they are yet)

11. Cartoon Corpse

Veteran

did another 3 hours (been a slow week productivitywise) lastnight...

this game is GTAish, Farcryish (like the reviews said) and has you doing more amazing things than you could in GTA with ease...no frustrating 'get it just right' missions ('demolition man', 'the driver' in Vice city).

i unlocked a nice yellow jet heli last night. lots of nooks and crannies to visit (collection missions in heli).

even had a kinda puzzling retrieval from a smokestack. and died a few times on side missions (heli battles were fun). once i died after ejecting from destroyed heli, pulled chute, then packed it thinking i was closer to the ground than i evidently was. grappeling aircraft is fun....can't catch the big stuff yet (cargo planes and jets i see from time to time)

and as long as you're not wanted, (complaint from another forum i heard, about being harassed all the time), even though they are having shootouts and whatnot around you, they don't come after you unless you engage them. course there's always this generic set of threats and warnings and orders going on "fire at will", "stop citizen"...apparently not directed at you.

the hydroplane is fun to finnesse through narrow channels at high speed, great response to touch control. i suppose the same can be said about highway driving, i just noticed the hydroplane handling more i think.

flight (not simulator controlwise) is very realistic as far as what you see as you gain lose altitude i think. the controls (heli) provide less than GTA helis, not bad though. planes are easier (than GTA3 definately, and even vice city) to fly, about the same as san andreas i'd say.

so far i just do what i come across, in the mood for (no plan of who im supporting) i wonder if that's significant down the road? (like in BP where people hate you if you help their enemies)

#11 Cartoon Corpse, Dec 8, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2006
  12. Cartoon Corpse

Veteran

just for reference (not really, i was in the mood for it) i fired up Farcry today...and IMO, Farcry exceeds Just Cause in tropical graphics beauty.

Farcry has always been practically breathtaking to me, even on my old 1.4G, 9700pro rig. This time i cranked up contrast a bit (2/3ish). to sharpen up and deepen the colors (i also crank bright up a bit, leaving gamma alone).

fish in the sea (BTW fish in fountains in Dark Messiah i found too)...

Just Cause is beautiful, and you can't beat the distance thing, but it just doesn't evoke the same 'love' that farcry does from me.

13. Crusher

Crusher Aptitudinal Constituent
    Regular

There have been fish in fountains since Hexen II, and probably before that.

14. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

Okay, I've played the game for several hours now. I must say its one of the best pack in games I've ever had with a new piece of hardware. Very glad!

The good:

The draw distance in this game is simply mind blowing. I mean, seriously makes me wish every game would go into this style of graphics and would just simply find ways to flesh out more detail when up close. Otherwise when you're way up in the sky on a helicopter you just grappled onto and about to jump in, the game, especially at sun set gives you some of the most rewarding views ever. I have no been this impressed by draw distance since overlooking the Dam level of FarCry.

The island is huge. I feel almost overwhelmed by its size and the fact that there's never any loading screens once you're out in the open.

The GTA style gameplay when you want to do it that way. I like being able to just go throughout the island blowing stuff up, stealing cars, boats, and helicopters. The "stunts" you can pull and use your parachute to move around is really a lot of fun.

The bad:

Up close graphics could use some work. Of course the buildings are mostly made up of textures, and this works really well from a distance as it gives you the impression of a real building, but once up close its kind of dissapointing.

The island is huge. There's a lot of nothing but trees. I wish there was more city, and I wish the city was more interesting. Instead its a bit cookie cutter and everything is stamped out in square city blocks.

The missions get repetitive. I pretty much ignore all town liberations as they all come down to basically just destroying blockade after blockade.

Overall:

Its a great game in short bursts of time and a awesome time waster. The first load time is short and once you're in there is no more unless you die or do some stupid mission. Its a great hold me over till the next GTA and there's really some parts I'd love to see GTA take from this game. I'm also really hopeful they make a sequel and take some lessons from the GTA series and make the games design less cookie cutter and remember the details next time and not simply over the top stunts.

7/10

15. Suflex

Newcomer

Just got it, and I'm also amazed by the draw distance of this game, how did they achieve this? specially that it runs very smooth at the highest settings @ 1600x1200 on my 7800GTX. Can any enlightened B3D hack point out the engine trade-offs needed to achieve this performance?

On the bad side the game is a bug fest. stupid AI, sound crackles, stuttering...the lot.

16. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

I still remember how cool it was to take a helicopter up to the max ceiling and just jump out.

You fell for like ever, and the view on the way down was just spectacular. :cool:

17. micb

Newcomer

I like the game find it quite hard in places though, graphics are good the 8800GTX seems to come fime.

How do you grapple a heli and get to fly it?

I fire a hook, just get connected and then fly around connected on the 'shoot and eventally fall down?

Any tips?

18. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

You have to wind the grapple gun in to get on the back of the 'copter, and then jump in to take it. I can't remember the default keys, but that's how you do it. When you are on the grapple, you also have to make sure you steer your parachute in the same direction as the helicopter is moving. If the difference in angle gets too great, your grapple comes off.

19. Cartoon Corpse

Veteran

so far i've only grappled helis. anyone successfully grapple a jet or even one of the large planes that you sometimes see flying? (haven't gotten to the airport where you can steal any of those yet).

since they wrote their own 3D engine, there's no telling exactly how/what tradeoffs are made. i don't think. depends on how it's all abstracted and what's included. unless every 3d engine is written on the same fundamental architecture/abstraction for reason(s) im unaware of..i assume they all use the object oriented approach (my guess, never written one), which limits you based on how you personally abstract things (makes sense to you).

i wonder if they even consider such tradeoff's when writing an engine. (eg more loadzones adds, more depth of interactivity)

i think they adapted a weather simulation engine they had been working on. probably somebody said "hey, we could make games with this!"

#19 Cartoon Corpse, Dec 29, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2006
  20. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

Flying the big plane is interesting. I've not grappled one, but within the 8 hours I've been playing I made my way to every "big" city on the island, I certainly made my way to the airport. Once you start the missions and get the heavy drops going around the island becomes a lot easier and therefore the missions really award you in allowing you more easy exploration and just a cool way to start trouble in a hurry (the freaking fast boat and helicopter they give you).

I was actually taking some screenshots (is there a built in function for that?) of the airport for corpse to show him one of the big planes, but the game is a 50/50 chance of coming out of alt tabing, so that didn't work. But I'm going to head back in. I must say, this game is very addicting the issues I've run into are nothing major at all (*cough* Gothic 3 *cough* Dark Messiah *cough*) compared to recent games I've enjoyed.