"Just Cause" article in both UK and US PC Gamer...

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Cartoon Corpse, Jun 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neeyik

Neeyik Homo ergaster
    Veteran

Right - enough with arguments please. This is a thread about the PC gamer article; stick to the topic thanks.

2. elementOfpower

Newcomer

Character models, for one. HL2's characters are much more detailed and some of the best yet seen on the PC.

FarCry has bright and vivid colors, but it doesn't look as realistic as HL2 or Doom 3 for that matter.

3. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

I think what the article is trying to get across is that Far Cry has a very lush, complete environment. It's a realistic looking sandbox, where you can stand on one island and see (or even shoot across) to another island, and then take a jeep, boat, or walk to that island and see it up close. Just Cause provides that same kind of graphically dense, realistic sandbox across a wide area.

That's quite a different style of game and environment from Doom 3 where everything is cut up into tiny little sections and you don't really have much choice in where to go or how to get there. Even HL2, though much more open than D3 is still not as freeform in map or playstyle as FC.

4. Albuquerque

Albuquerque Red-headed step child
    Veteran

I can give some examples how, technologically, FarCry > HL2:

Total objects on-screen (in the thousands, re: trees, grass, rocks, piers, vehicles, enemies, structures)
    Total polys per-frame (~100,000 at useable framerate on nearly all hardware, user-configurable in excess of 1 million at acceptable framerate on 9800+ level hardware)
    Draw distance capacity (8km+ even on ti4200-level hardware)
    Level size capacity (64km square)
    Dynamic shadowing (optionally soft depending on your visual settings)
    Weapons detail (weapon scopes still show the environment when you're not looking through it)
    Terrain blending (transition from beach to grass to rocks and back)

Those are technology reasons why FC > HL2, not art-direction reasons. You mention "realistic looking" as an indicator of technology? HL2's "realistic looking" settings aren't because of technology, they're from the use of high-res textures and some moody yellow (per-vertex prebaked) lighting.

If this is "Far Cry" bumped up a few notches, then I expect it's going to be quite nice. It may actually not bring new technology to the forefront over what is already there from the original FC, but if the art assets get a good upgrade, that's really all it would need.

#24 Albuquerque, Jul 13, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2006
  5. karlotta

karlotta pifft
    Veteran

omg lame nana nana. Its all subjective. wtfcs! And a Game based on this size doesnt need great gfx.. just nice playable style gfx. FC is a good buzz word for gfx.... Will like to see the physics.... ect.

6. Albuquerque

Veteran

In these never-ending HL2 vs FC wars, everyone always brings up physics. Did anyone ever use the sandbox editor and play with FarCry's physics? You could blow stuff up, send pieces flying, stack things on crates and make levers work, make rope bridges that drooped correctly (and fell correclty if you shot them), vehichle physics that worked quite well when dragging things, etc.

The physics implementation in FarCry I would argue was equally good to the physics implementation in HL2. Both had their issues and pros and cons, but only HL2 actually provided physics puzzles for the "general gamer" to see what they had available. FC certainly had the potential to do equally good physics puzzles, but the game content never relied on such antics to finish the game.

Anyone who argues about how crappy FC physics is has never actually used them. Or if they have, then they have just as much room to call HL2's physics equally crappy.

7. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

The more I think about it, and going back and playing HL2 and FC and loading up Prey for a Doom 3 engine game, I've of the mind that FC looks far better than Prey and easily equals and lots of times surpasses HL2.

The reason people pick up physics is because HL2's gameplay relied on them, while Doom 3 and FC actually had them, they simply did not introduce them into any gameplay methods, but doing so is not completely impossible.

The only point I can recall from FC where the physics were used for gameplay was a few times where you could roll barrals down a road and kill chasing enemies.

Model detail? HL2 certainly has the advantage in the face area and the actual realistic movement of them, but FC was on the same detail level as far as perception due to the much better bump mapping in FC.

8. Albuquerque

Veteran

I think FarCry's biggest drawback (in terms of the game, not the engine) was for all the excess "shiny bumpy" they did.. When rusted pipes gleam like they had nine layers of clearcoat, characters have skin like beach-babe supermodels lubed with coconut oil, and pock-marked concrete wall sglisten like glass you have a problem. But I'm quite convinced that's a reflection (pun somewhat intended ;) ) on the art direction rather than the engine capabilities.

I'd also like to mention that none of my prior verbiage is to suggest that HL2 didn't look quite good... But to claim that HL2's good looks were a product of engine technology is flawed; Source is a competent engine to be sure, but the art direction is what made the HL2 game look so good. A great example that has been mentioned before is the character modelling, most certianly in the faces and facial animation. But is that truly a product of the game engine or the art direction?

I'd argue for the latter myself... But that's me :)

Back to the original topic... I wonder what price point this game is intended to hit, and what kind of system specs they're targetting? This kind of game is straight up my alley. I love the GTA series for their immense amount of "free roam, free play" and the graphics quality (no matter if it's art or technology) that FarCry provided. I can certainly see myself spending a $50 and a few months playing this game while waiting for Crysis :)

9. sonix666

Regular

Too be honest, the thirst thing that I though when I saw Far Cry was that it looked cartoonish. Not, wow, that island in the distance looks great.

To be honest, in art direction, I think I like UT2004 best. I fired it up again a few days back, and played some CTF, and was amazed at how great the levels look.

10. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Any game that claims to be a few notches above FarCry has got a LOT to live up to, I'll still stand FarCry's graphics up against some of the newer games out.

I think FarCry worked so well because they used their art assets smarter than a lot of other games had up until that time, it was the most attention to detail I'd seen in a game until that point and the immersion that brought into the game is what blew me away.

If Just Cause can deliver I'll be in line to buy it the day it's on sale, but I kind of worry if my rig will run it the same way it did when I first played FarCry... (FarCry got me to upgrade. Sometimes I love games for that, sometimes I hate them; I think that was a happy one.)

11. Albuquerque

Veteran

Wow, to label FarCry as cartoonish because of the over-saturated colors and then somehow in the same breath praise UT2004's art direction seems illogical to me.

If you can dispense praise at UT2004's fat characters, small levels, completely "rounded" natural formations (rocks, hills, other natural strata) and oversaturated colors and somehow still find fault with "cartoonish" looks in other games, something tells me you're not judging them on equal criteria.

12. Neeyik

Neeyik Homo ergaster
    Veteran

Well despite me asking you all not to go on about FarCry or HL2 or this versus that, and removing two posts that ignored the request, it would that I don't exist or something. Have a locked thread for your own good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.