Just bought a 32 GB HP Touchpad...

suryad

Veteran
Anyone do the same? I am curious to see how it is going to be. I know it won't be as svelte as the Galaxy Tab or th iPad 2 but I don't care. It was too cheap to ignore!

I did give the $150 deal a shot on HP's site but couldn't get the price to come up. All of the stores everywhere have been cleaned out of it now. Pretty crazy.

But I already have a Nook Color so I'm not too frothing about getting a EoL'ed castaway that is unlikely to get many applications... $150 isn't exactly chump change.

I'd rather be patient and wait for the iPad 3 launching early next year which will get a Retina Display...getting a cheap discontinued HP touchpad now guarantees buyers remorse....

Not if you're unwilling to spend $500 on a tablet. If you're only willing to spend up to $200 then there's going to be no remorse when the alternative is no tablet at all.

Personally I think I'll wait a couple of years until prices come down. I don't see an urgent need to own one right now having a large screen smart phone and a pick ass PC based in the living room.

Not if you're unwilling to spend $500 on a tablet. If you're only willing to spend up to $200 then there's going to be no remorse when the alternative is no tablet at all.
$200 spent on a tablet with no software, no updates and no future isn't $200 well spent in my book. I'd rather put that money as a downpayment in my bank account towards the purchase of a REAL tablet (be it $500 or not) further into the future.

...But, to each his own. :) Anyone who's happy with this product, well, more power to you! Good luck and all of that.

I got a 16gb for $99 from Amazon. That's the right amount of me to have toy to play with while waiting for the ipad 3.

People are already working on porting Honeycomb/Android to this. I think most people will be happy enough with a tablet at $100.

Nobody can make a proper Honeycomb port (with full hardware support) because there's no source code available. It sucks. The Honeycomb "ports" that are out there are hacked together releases based on some demo/SDK. Google says that Android 4.0, a combo of 3.x and 2.x, will be open source. They claim Honeycomb is closed source because the phone functionality in Honeycomb is very broken and they don't want it hitting phones.

For $100, I think the Touchpad is quite the little toy to have around. If I can find one I might grab it.

Amazon has them available for $100 for 16gb and $150 for 32gb through OnSale.

I figured I'd have some fun hacking around with it and seeing how much actual use I'd have for a tablet for cheap.

I have both the ipad2 and the touchpad and the ipad2 is a far better productivity tool while the touchpad is more fun to tinker with owing to multitasking, chrooted ubuntu, preware and overclocking...geeky stuff. I'm hopeful webOS lives on (buy it Samsung!) but either way it's a fun toy.

Yeah bought it only as a fun toy. I am honestly looking forward more than anything else in the tablet space to see what the Kal-El running Asus Transformer tablet will be like. I don't like those retarded bluetooth keyboards for the tablet. I much rather dig the Transformer form factor. This HP was just too cheap to ignore! ALso I like the WebOS as an OS and the features it brings. It's a cool little toy. Sad to see WebOS go the way of the dodo though. I wonder if HP will do the 'right' thing and open source it and then all we need is the xda community making magic with it.

while the touchpad is more fun to tinker with owing to multitasking, chrooted ubuntu, preware and overclocking...geeky stuff.
Yeah, Apple stuff isn't very geeky, and largely because Apple chooses it to be so by choice - which is sad - by paranoidly locking down the hardware. I can understand - in a manner anyway - locking down an iPhone so you can't switch operator freely until your contract has expired, but locking down iOS itself and deciding what people are allowed to run on THEIR devices that they have bought with their own money is just stalinism in a computing form.

So it'd do iOS some good if it was more open and moddable, because the standard grid of icons on the home screen just is a bloody crap user interface IMO. Particularly on the iPad with its much larger screen, that could fit so much more information than that. I don't know much about what Android offers, but Windows Phone 7's panel layout is just miles better. You can have more stuff visible at a glance, you could have real multitasking with widgets slash utilities accessible all on the same screen if Apple just wanted.

So it's good that there are alternatives, it'll fuel competition, keep innovation going and so on.

Most places have a return policy if you're not sure, but if you're not sure you shouldn't be spending $500 on any piece of equipment.;)

Anyway here's quick comparison.

Thanks for that link. I read that 3.0.2 or whatever the version # is got released for the Touchpad and it has brought about quite a lot of performance improvements apparently. And also looking at that video I like the overall experience of the Touchpad better than the iPad though the iPad is definitely the slicker looking of the two. I am quite excited about my purchase and cannot wait to get the Touchpad in my hands. Problem is I get bored really fast with gadgets and I am afraid the Touchpad will fall in to the same category for me.

Yay I get the Touchpad tomorrow. Hope it's not a massive disappointment. I must say I am looking forward to the new Asus Transformer rumored to be coming out in Fall.

Yay I get the Touchpad tomorrow. Hope it's not a massive disappointment. I must say I am looking forward to the new Asus Transformer rumored to be coming out in Fall.

Depends on what you're looking to do. My iPad2 has been in a drawer for weeks now.
Make sure to update to 3.0.2 first thing. If you want the chroot ubuntu then doctor it right away too (doctoring is a way of creating a custom fresh install and you can use it to add a partition for the chroot ubuntu). There are also some patches to turn off a bunch of system logging that can slow it down a bit so you'll want to use the quickinstall procedure to install preware out of the gate too.

Depends on what you're looking to do. My iPad2 has been in a drawer for weeks now.
Make sure to update to 3.0.2 first thing. If you want the chroot ubuntu then doctor it right away too (doctoring is a way of creating a custom fresh install and you can use it to add a partition for the chroot ubuntu). There are also some patches to turn off a bunch of system logging that can slow it down a bit so you'll want to use the quickinstall procedure to install preware out of the gate too.

Wow nice thanks for all the info dude. Can't wait to start tinkering!

Back